Bayou Skiff News? | SouthernPaddler.com

Bayou Skiff News?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Any updates? This was the most discussed boat a few months ago, what happened? Inquiring minds want to know.
Other than Chuck has anybody completed one? How well does does it work, etc.? Any thing?

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am happy with the way it handles , the ease of rowing it and especially the shallow draft from the test runs.

Still busy redoing the varnish on mine and adding the wicker seats. This heat is something and a person can't spend a lot of time out there in it , that shop heats up really fast. Cools down when the rains arrive then the lighting makes a person want to stay inside. Especially considering that we have had homes , business and even a few persons hit with the lighting.

I'm not the only one , Uncle John is making a sail rig for his and the heat index of 108 to 110 is making his days , working on it, short. As John told me ... It is .. Hot ..Hot ..Hot ..Hot ..Hot.

When it gets that warm a person moves a lot slower especially if they do not need or want to be out in it.

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
hebe006.jpg

This one is just about done. Pardner's skiff is turning out to be museum quality. He keeps painting on the epoxy, and then sanding most of it off, but he sure does have it smooth as a baby's behind. The interior "inwale" is installed. He used closet dowel rod for the spacers and that 1/4" stock Chuck use on his. Did it like Chuck's too, broke it at every rib, instead of continuous like I did on the Bayou Skiff "Lite". Check out the fancy rubrails, they are rabbited on the backside so there are no exposed plywood edges. He also used 6mm Okume thru out, sides and bottom. We initially thought the bottom was too thin, but with the glass inside and out, (6 oz.) and the bottom strakes as shown on Uncle John's, it is plenty stiff. He has spent considerably more than anybody I've seen build a boat like this, closing in on $ 1,000.00 with the extra money on marine ply, and 2 gals. of epoxy, glass inside and out. Still, only weighs a little over 55 lbs. and with proper care should be a "forever" boat. He just sold his house and did the "pack up and move" thing, so it still hasn't been in the water yet, but he moved up near the Suwannee River, so she might get christened in the river.
hebe004.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guy's for your updates. I guess the heat has been hard on everyone. No new pictures on the U.J. site either.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Naz said:
Bee
I'm about finished a Piro Skiff Croc a Gator. It's no where near the quality of you guys but it floats. It's an 11' er with 11.5"sides. Graphite bottom and I like it a whole bunch. Not as speedy paddling as the pirogue but a much better fishing platform.

Thanks Naz for posting. The boat looks good to me. :) I take it you used Gator Boat's pirogue plans? What about it makes it "a much better fishing platform" for you?

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BeeKeeper, I'm glad you asked that question. Maybe, there are certain design features that, for each of us, render a boat more tractable for certain jobs?

Something makes one boat handier for someone for some endeavor than, say another design. But, then, a different person will have a different slant for his personal reasons. Might be interesting to list various endeavors, and then each of us say what we like for it.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we use Epifanes varnish and was difficult at first until we did two things:

1. thin per manufacturers recommendations
2. use the roll and tip method for application - roll it on with a dense foam roller then tip it off with a brush. It lets you put on a thinner coat with less likelihood of running

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Some new accessories for the Bayou Skiff that will make getting out on the water a lot more fun , if anything just relaxing for a day on the water , or for getting from point A to point B.

Uncle John has done some work on the accessories for the Bayou Skiff and just had Jason take it out for a trial sail. John said it needs some twinkling and modification ( A larger sail area with a boom ) but works really nice as it is. As John told me ....The lee boards work well, two bolts to remove with lines to raise and lower.

jason-sail-web.jpg

When everything is right the information will be on Johns web site for anyone wanting to add a sail to there skiff. Then the Bayou Skiff will be a boat of many uses. One boat that can be paddled , rowed , poled or sailed and don't forget about putting a small motor on it , if you are into motors. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Uncle John sent me a couple of new builds on the Bayou Skiff. They are on his web site http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/photo.htm but for convince here they are.

The Jackson's Bayou Skiff ............ Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/higgins/default.htm

Larry's at Raka (the owner of Raka epoxy ) Upper right side click on the NEXT to see all of them. OR just click on the pictures for the next one , either way it works. :D

Note....... Last time I talked to Larry he said he purchased a electric trolling motor he was planning to use on his..... That was before he started making it.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 3220670271

Chuck.............