Bayou Skiff stability. | SouthernPaddler.com

Bayou Skiff stability.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The question came up a while back about the stability of the Bayou Skiff , here is Jason fishing out of the one he and Uncle John made.

jason%20standing.jpg

By the way , Jason said he weighs in at 180. Using canoe paddles this time in place of the oars , he stored the paddles behind the seat railing running down the side of the skiff. The blue board you see at the transom is the middle seat , it is removable.

Chuck.

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
Thats what I've been wanting to see. Any word on how comfortable he was standing up on the cooler. As that is what I will be doing but a little closer to the rear of the boat so I can pole the flats. I am also going to keep the width of the widest rib all the way to the transom to help offset standing closer to the rear. I just still working with scale models to try and find a way way to remove mosst if not all rocker but still keep the 20-25 degree angle of the ribs and the 30-45 degree of the stem. Any thoughts would also be appreciated.

Oh by the way beautiful boat.

Thanks Jon,

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldironsides said:
Thats what I've been wanting to see. Any word on how comfortable he was standing up on the cooler.

Thanks Jon,

No idea about the comfort factor but he does look comfortable.
Not sure about what you want to do , it will take someone more knowledgeable on that then me , I just make them as designed.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
cutting an arc out of the bottom of the sides will reduce the rocker.

Not sure of the UJ demensions or plans but start off with the equivalent of a 2" arc out of the bottom on your scale model

Here's the sides of our marsh pirogue,

IMG_0619.jpg

they've got a pretty good arc cut out but then it's also got 35 degrees flare on the side

since you're making a skiff and not a symmetrical (pointy both ends)pirogue, you'll have to offset the center of the arc to allow for the back end not coming to a stem or single point

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
Sorry I should have elaborated on the whole comfort thing. What I should have said is how tippy was it and could he move around much at all or did he have to be purty careful while up there. The big reason I want the rocker out is so I dont windmill when I'm by myself. I plan on putting runners on the bottom, but the more I have in the water length wise and not depth the better. Cause I will be in shallow flats.

Seedtick, the bottom you have posted is the gunwales and the chine parallel to one another.

Thanks guys for the info. Much appreciated.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jason%20standing.jpg

I'm waiting on Kayak Jack's comments. :) I got called out for my "inadequate" PFD and I was wearing it standing on solid ground, not perched on a makeshift deck. This ought to take the heat off me. :lol:

beekeeper

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I have to guess he is fairly comfy up there, because I don't see any little "wiggle wakes" like you can see in this photo of the first time I stood up in my skiff.
Clam%20Bayou%20023.jpg

I am a lot more comfortable now, but you can see what I mean.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye god, Keeper of a Bee, you're right. I was so in awe of his insanity, standing like that, and overlooked the obvious, didn't I. I'll give ya double green stamps for that one. And, a nice coffee cup.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JammyJ said:
<snip> Did he catch anything? If I hooked into a fish i think i would forget about balance.... :D
You're slower than me, Jammy. I wouldn't have to wait nearly that long. I'd be overboard before I got the second foot up on top of that cooler. And probably spill all that lovely beer in the process. :(

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Sorry for the confusion Ironsides

I should have said to cut an arc out of the bottom of the sides

here's another shot of those sides, they're upside down but show the arc that we cut out of the bottom (of the sides) to reduce rocker

IMG_0608.jpg

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
Thanks for the input guys. See I dont have to worry about setting the hook and falling out cause I dont catch anything I'm just there for quit time and relaxation. Honestly I have purty good sea legs from being on poling platforms and fishing in bad weather, probably another reason I dont catch anything.

Seedtick, Thanks for the furhter input, I can see in the pic that they are not perfectly parallel. But, I get the jist of it I will try that in a few models and hopefully get close to what I want before doing it in wood.

Thanks again guys, Jon

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
Bellybuster is correct I was refering to the gunale edge and the chine edge. Maybe I shouldn't have used "perfectly" to describe it.

Seedtick, I believe I see what you were talking about from the other post we were talking on. The picture you were referring to it looks to me as the right side of the picture is the front and that that boat will have the nice curves I was curious about.

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
That my friend is a absolutely outstanding looking boat. That's what I'm lookin for there is little to no rocker it seems and the flare of the front is beautiful. Now if I just had the scale drawings and the measurements I'd be elated. Is there any kind of template for the sides and what is the degree of the stem. The sides look to be the hieght I want and the only thing I would do is cut down the transom to match the gunwales. Cause mine will be Jon power only.

Thanks so very much for the help, Jon

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Drawings? we ain't got no stinking drawings :D

This was one we built for Bass Pro Shops two or three years ago so they could sell tee shirts out of it. I'm pretty sure it has zero rocker fore and aft.

It's one of our "by hand and by eye" builds and I don't remember the exact details - maybe friend Keith has a better rememberer than me

Anyway, here's some guidelines

I think the transom tilted in 5 to 10 degrees and had a side flare of about 20 degrees. Maximum side flare was close to 35 degrees at midship. Cutback at the bottom of the stem is 8 or 9 on 12.

We typically build with jigs - see "something different" thread in pirogue section back in april of last year.

I would build a jig that matched the transom size I wanted and build two more jigs with about a 30 or 32 degree flare. With the sides upside down, clamp the back ends of the sides in the transom jig and wrap the sides around the other two jigs and temporarily bring the front ends of the sides together. Start off with each inner jig about 2 feet from the centerline. If you're lucky you'll hit what you want dead on, but in reality you'll have to reposition the two jigs up or down until you get the bottom width you want and closer or farther from the centerline to get the maximum side flare you want. Now turn the whole assembly over and scribe a line around the outside parallel to the table or floor that it's sitting on. The distance of each end above that horizontal line is the rocker that you'd have if you cut the sides to that line. Tilt the assembly fore and aft and raise or lower the level of the line until you get the fore and aft rocker that you want. For zero rocker, you'll have the line just touch the bottom of the stem and bottom of the transom. Somewhat different if you want some rocker, but that's another lesson. Later, when you disassemble this line will be an arc.

That gets you the botom cut. For the top cut, get youself a flexible strip of wood and position it wherever and in whatever shape you find pleasing for the shear line. Draw that line. You just need to draw on one side since your two sides will be cut the same. Disassemble everything and cut the lines.

I know this seems like a lot of work but once you get started it's really not that bad and you end up with a boat that is exactly the shape you want.

If you do this at half scale with cheap plywood, it's really easy, just ask Beekeeper.