Bean soup, using up the Christmas ham bone.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Bean soup, using up the Christmas ham bone....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
All the kids and significant others home for Christmas and I had an 18# ham. I love making and eating bean soup. Do it every year after Christmas.

Took my 20 quart stock pot, filled it up about 2/3's of the way with water and brought it to a boil. Threw in the ham bone with meat shreds and brought it back to a boil and simmered the bone for hours. Also threw in some thyme and oregeno. Also a bay leaf or two. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving.
After the leftover meat was really tender, I took out the bone and stripped the meat from fat and bone, threw the meat back into the pot with some Watkins chicken boullion. I brought that back to a simmer and than threw in my dried Navy beans that were soaking all night.
While the beans were cooking, I chopped up a few stocks of celery, carrot, a hell of alot of onion and about 40-50 cloves of garlic. Than I threw the vege's in and let it simmer some more. Once the beans were tender, I took out a few cup fulls with some liquid and used the Cusinart to blend them up, I than threw the blended beans and liquid back into the simmering pot. Don't forget some black pepper and I would say salt but there is enough salt in ham. Now shake in as much Tobasco as your ego will allow. Mmmmmmmmm! Jarvis, as Jack sez!

Son-in-law sez my bean soup is better 'N any he's ever had and he's a Texan. I guess Texans are bean experts?

The fun part is no measureing anything to make bean soup, just taste and adjust. Hell, it's an form of art but Mizzus Yak don't think so.... She is making rumblings about visiting her sister for a day or two.
Should be a noisy New Year! Enjoy!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker

Ya said .......The fun part is no measureing anything to make bean soup, just taste and adjust. Hell, it's an form of art but Mizzus Yak don't think so.... She is making rumblings about visiting her sister for a day or two. Should be a noisy New Year! Enjoy!

My Question ................
Ya sure those rumblings from Mizzus Yak were about her having to visit her sister. :lol: :? :lol:

Where was the cornbread to go with the bean soup :?:

Chuckles

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The difference between a cocktail lounge and an elephant fart is, that one is a barroom,

and the other is a BARROOOOMMM!!!

Unbeknownst to many of the Suthrin persuasion, Michigan is the bean capitol of the world. We grow them in many varieties: 30 caliber, 45 caliber, 50 caliber, 20 mm, and 37 mm radar guided. Experts only apply for belt fed, tripod mounted, water cooled weapons launching platforms.

They also come in either right or left hand twist rifling. Tracer beans cost extra, but one every 7th round lends gorgeous visual effects.

NOTE: Management not responsible for skid marks

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
NOTE: Management not responsible for skid marks

Jack, I'm sorry to say I've lost alot of good BVD's that way... :roll:

Chuckles, About the Mizzus, for 34 years she has been saying Lady's don't do that, and for 34 years I have been saying, "Yes dear..."

You guy's remember Henny Youngman?
"That's no Lady! That's my wife!!" :lol:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Matt sez:
I'll have to see if I can get my dad-in-law to post his navy bean recipe.

VERY good and very little afterburn.

Then what's the point of making the bean soup?? :lol:

Ole Yaker, if my Texas kin are an indication, they're full of beans. :lol: (And great folks.)

A

Anonymous

Navy Bean Soup

Here is my recipt for Navy Bean Soup as requested by my son-in-law, Matt.

Pop Pop’s Navy Bean Soup
Also known as Joshua’s Favorite Soup

Ingredients:

1-pound navy beans
½ pound salt pork, ham, or a large ham bone with lots of mean on it.
10 cups of water
1 large onion diced
2 carrots diced
1 potato cut into cubes [optional]
2 celery stalks with leaves - diced
1 bay leaf
Some parsley (to taste)
Some pepper (to taste)

Wash and rinse the Navy Beans. Lot soak in a large pan overnight. Use plenty of water because the beans soak it up quickly. If soaking during the day, use less water and look at it every couple of hours.

Put onions, carrots, and celery into the large pot (the one you will use for cooking, and not the one where the beans are soaking). Bring to a slow boil and cook the vegetables until they are soft and tasteless.

Let cool (just to be on the safe side) and strain the broth from the vegetables. [Call my daughter, Shelley, and she’ll eat the vegetables - I through them out. ]

Return the broth to your cooking pot and add the bay leaf, ham bone, ham [you can’t have too much ham], and the beans that have been soaking overnight.

Bring this to a boil, reduce heat, and add cubed potatoes. The potato is optional. I like it because it helps thicken the soup.

Cover and simmer throughout the day, stirring occasionally while it makes your house smell wonderful. [3 to 4 hours under medium heat if you’re in a hurry].

When the beans are soft and the soup thickened, remove the bay leaf and it is ready to eat.

Enjoy

A

Anonymous

Friend John,

Thanks. I like navy beans 'n they do make a good soup. I reckon ya fix cornbread ta go with it? Since ya didnt put Zatarains in the soup, addin' some ta the cornbread would make fer some fine eatin'.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
Douglas Adams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John

Did I read what you had to say .... correctly .... You are related to MATT. :oops:

If that is for true ....... then it is a good thing that we don't have your home addresss or you would get a ton of sympathy cards in the mail. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.