bed liner instead of glass | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

bed liner instead of glass

seeing as the OP hasn't had any input since the start, I think we've been "josh'd" from the beginning.

I just wanna know what is possibly to gain from this unorthodoxed approach to building a boat. I'm not sayin don't do it. Who am I to say what you should build a boat from? I wanna know "why"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bellybuster said:
seeing as the OP hasn't had any input since the start, I think we've been "josh'd" from the beginning.

I had/have the same feeling after reading the original post.
About a year or so ago , could of been longer since time does fly by , a person asked the same question and never did post any results. He sort of vanished into the sunset or it might of been a sunrise never to be heard from again.
I figured if he did it , his wife had a boat shaped flour box. :wink:
Anyway it let the question unanswered as to the results.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
There was another name - maybe same fellow - a few weeks ago who asked a question about best paint, then only criticized the advice - and disappeared.

Jack , if you search your memory back to the beginning I am sure you will remember quite a few like that. They don't hear what they want to hear and vanish. Heck , the information is free and the decision is theirs to make.
The only thing we know for sure is what we have done , not what has not been done and only speculated about. :roll:

My guess is he wants to cover all the questions , he's asked a few since February the 4th , 2011 about making a boat. No record yet , I know one guy who was a lurker on here and waited for three years before making a pirogue. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. And don't try to tell me that you never stirred a pot. You'r probally one of the best pot stirrers that ever stirred a pot. Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing--it just is. :wink: :mrgreen:
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
scoggins said:
I am thinking about making a pi rogue and putting bed liner on it rather than fiberglassing it

Has an one done this before and will it work?

Ok, back to basics.
Has any one done this before?.................I didn't and have never heard of anyone else.

Will it work?........... If apllied thinly I think it would work just as any other surface protection would. If by "rather than fiberglassing " you mean to take the place of the strength of fiberglass, I would say .... No. On a lightly built boat, a good coat up to the waterline could really add some scuff and scrape protection. I say "Go for it" and let us know how it works. It's not like it's going to be the only boat you'll ever build. Trust me. :wink:

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
IMO the Rhino bed liner isnt such a bad idea.

If you just used it as an inside coating it performs several functions. Provides a low slip surface. Protects the wood surface from sun and moisture, as well as abrasion. Would likely stick to wood quite well, probably holding pieces of the wood together even if the wood split or pieces of wood seperated because of a failed glue joint.

The most important function would be that barring a really really bad "crash" with your boat, your boat is going to remain intact enough to float. That Rhino stuff is amazingly tough, flexible and stretchable.

It would be interesting to make a test panel then try shoving large pointy rocks,sticks,logs through it and seeing if the liner is punctured or just stretched but remains intact. I'd bet the latter. Like someone said, the military considers it low level armour.

Now, whether the cost or weight penalty is worth that I don't know and YMMV. I suspect that it is at least possible that you could build a sorta light wood boat and coat the inside with Rhino liner and end up with a more unsinkable boat that was still lighter than if you tried to achieve the same thing by just using thicker wood.