Beef Stew or is it a Beef Veggie Soup ? | SouthernPaddler.com

Beef Stew or is it a Beef Veggie Soup ?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is a beef stew or a beef veggie soup , really thick.

Get some good stew beef. 
Take a cast iron pot and put in some olive oil, heat the mess up and while it is getting hot, but not to hot , take the beef and throw it in a large zip lock, to that add some flour, salt and pepper ,,, to your taste. Shake the hell out of it, make sure the top is sealed ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

When the oil is hot drop the meat (coated) in there and dance it around so it does not burn ( flour will burn quickley if not watched) . When slightly cooked on all sides add some water and swish it around to make the gravy, actual starting to make it because everything added to it helps make the gravy and adds a lot of flavor.

Now add an onion cut in good size pieces, some carrots and celery ,diced to the size you like ,then put the whole mess on simmer for about 3 hours.

3 hours later .............
At this time dice up a couple of potatoes, a chunk of garlic and toss them in the mix and I add a couple handfuls * of the frozen pea and corn mix or string bean and corn mix, you find them in the frozen foods section at the store.

* (washing your hands is optional for measuring out the corn & peas just depends on who is watching you) :roll:

Let this cook for about an hour and supper is ready.  Now I don't use the top to the pot but do add more water if needed and it usually needs more water since it cooks down.
  Not some bad stuff when served over hot rice or egg noodles as a stew ... heck it is good just by itself with some garlic bread to sop the gravy up with.

:D If I added tomatoes , okra , lima beans and cabbage when I added the potatoes along with a little more water it would be what I call a soup.
This will let a southerner and his wife have two suppers if they are not really hungry or a Yankee and his wife six suppers :lol: so plan on the amount when you cook this and the next day (if there is any left over) it is always better.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
take the beef and throw it in a large zip lock, to that add some flour, salt and pepper ,,,

When slightly cooked on all sides add some water and swish it around to make the gravy,

This will let a southerner and his wife have two suppers if they are not really hungry or a Yankee and his wife six suppers :lol: so plan on the amount when you cook this and the next day (if there is any left over) it is always better.

Chuck.

(1) Similar to how I make it Chuck, except I use powdered garlic with the flour, salt and pepper, Like that Great Southern Lady from GA, Paula Deen.
(2) I use some dry red wine mixed with that water, kicks up the gravy.

(3) Obviously, you have not seen this this Yankee eat, I have placards on my chin that tells all to keep feet and hands clear of pie hole when this Yankees consuming food. :shock:

(4) Don't forget some good crusty home made bread for dipping in that gravy! Some Amish butter on that bread goes well too.

(5) Now you have gone and done it, I gotta have beef stew for dinner tonight. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I bake my own bread ....Even have a lot of the sour dough starter here at the house ....I enjoy good food , even if I have to cook it myself. ..... The store bought stuff is for Jack & Swampy. :D

By the way ......... Try sauturne wine (my spelling might be wrong) , it really gives it a southern taste , or Cajun , not hot just tastey and goes with anything. :D Nut's it is even some good sipping wine fer the cook while he is busy in the kitchen ... a splash in the food and a splash for the cook , have to keep things even ya know......or even later after supper so ya sleep really good..

Powdered Garlic .... :twisted: ...... Use fresh it is 10 times better. Yankees what can ya tell them. :roll:
NOT a darn thing ......... I married one, yep young, stupid and foolish that was me , but now she is Southernfied. (it did take a lot of time , boy did it take some time , 40 years , and I am still working at it ) :wink:

Chuck.
PS.... My stew has been cooking since noon and the meat is just falling apart. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Glad you guy's were not here .... The meat fell apart and all of the veggies were done.
We had supper and ole pups was scarfinging it down along with the wife and myself, I share my supper with pups. He helps me keep my hour glass figure. :roll: Pups really worries about me and has to check everything I eat to make sure it is OK , besides he makes sure I cook it just the right way by helping me with the tasting.

There is some (almost) left over for supper tomorrow. :D But we will make it do.

Then we toped it off with mince meat pie for the wife while pup's and I had some homemade pecan pie, pure sugar and nut's. :p
Sometime I will tell you how the pie is done but fer now I think pup's and I will have to split another piece ... I get the bigger portion (If he lets me) I have to keep my energy up to see what all of you are up to ...........ya know.

Off to the kitchen and who knows I just might even wash my hands .. :wink: ......... Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I grow garlic in my garden and I use alot of garlic. But, I watch Paula Deen on the Food Network, she uses what she calls a house blend.
1 cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper and 1/4 cup garlic powder. Mix it up and put it into shakers. I find the house blend for perfect for burgers on the grill, fish on the grill, veges, etc. It's handy, 3 seasonings in one handy shaker.
If you get the chance, watch Paula on the Food Network, she is a native from GA and it's all down home cook'n. I ate in her resturant last time in Savannah, fried chicken make you slap your momma!

Will be planting garlic again in March. Garlic out of the garden fresh will make other people slap you!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ancienticus Yakus,

Sounds good. A friend of mine (who also has a vac-bagger) mixes hamburg with dry salad dressing mixes. Itallian and Ranch are his favorites. Then, he freezes them on waxed paper, and packs them by four packs into (what else?) a vacuum bag with slip sheets in between. He camps with a cooler, so he has them in camp. JARVIS good eatin'!

I might try this with dried hamburger. Then in camp, rehydrate the meat, add the dressing mix, and an egg to hold it together for frying and eating.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Ancienticus Yakus,

I might try this with dried hamburger. Then in camp, rehydrate the meat, add the dressing mix, and an egg to hold it together for frying and eating.

OK Jack....

You got my interest with the hamburger. If you have dried it then it should already be cooked before drying.
Bringing it back to life and then cook it again....... doesn't that make it tough. You would have a twice cooked hamburger. :?

Cooked hamburger with a couple of eggs thrown in and scrambled makes a good breakfast but it is all crumbled not in a patty. Don't forget the onion and garlic along with salt & pepper.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(snip) If you have dried it then it should already be cooked before drying. Bringing it back to life and then cook it again....... doesn't that make it tough. You would have a twice cooked hamburger. SNIPICUS)
RIGHT! I thought about that after I wrote, but actually didn't think you were paying any attention. Glad you're awake. Somone give you your medication, did they?

My thought was to rehydrate with minimum water, mix in some egg as binder, and cook the egg while the hamburg was warming. Could also rehydrates some tomato paste and make Sloppy Jacks (in your case Sloppy Chucks).

Actually, since my "camp bread" is white flour tortillas, I'd likely heat two of them in a skillet, flip'em over & take one off, add cheese around the perimeter (for a sealing gasket), add the flavored hamburger, garlic, onions, etc., replace the top tortilla, and let the stuff heat-seal. This needs some Tobasco Chipotle sauce - and MUST be washed down with a beer.

JARVIS good eatin!

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Jack--Try the packaged ground beef from Wally world. Packed like MRE's except it's edible. It's already hydrated. Needs some olive oil or butter/margerine to bring it back to life.
Cost was $2 for a 10 oz. package that equals about 1 lb of fresh ground beef.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack
Sometimes I am awake when on this computer, but not to often. :wink:

I like to make a really thick chili mix with the hamburger or a semi sloppy hamburger, just depends on how you look at it. Either way it is tasty and quite messy, my thought is the messier it is the better it tastes.

When it is ready then a large amount of the mix (depends on the builder) along with sour cream, cheese, more spices and some greens, shredded, is placed on a tortilla then rolled up with the bottom end folded over and consumed like a pop sickle, from the top down. If it is not full all of the way to the top then it is topped off with some more spoons full of the mix.

No dishes to wash when chow is done, the non graceful folks might have to wash there slacks from the fall out, bad construction of the chili sickle, but such is life.

The graceful folks only end up with dirty hands and faces. (I like to stand when eating this) :lol:

Chuck.
PS . I did not know about the (cooked) packaged ground beef from wally world .......... Where is it hidden in there store???????????

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A buddy of mine here buys the 1/2 pound loaves of honey-wheat brown bread, round loaves, from Great Harvest Bread Company. Any of the local stores that make honest to God home-made bread (Bread Smith, Paninni, etc, will do). He cuts a large cone down into the top of these and pours in hot chilli. Edible bowl.

If I'm cooking the chilli, I buy large Alka Seltzers and cut a large cone down into them, and pour in chilli. I serve this with cone-shaped ice cubes that have a pistol grip.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The Sault Saint Marie MI store had the ground beef packages right up front in the snack/ coffee/ candy/ cookie section. This is a regular store, not a Super Center. I haven't looked for it down here recently. It was a Sam's package(store brand).