Belly Waddin' | SouthernPaddler.com

Belly Waddin'

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
This mornin' I got this frum a pal over in Basura Blanco....Texas.

Honest Lies and Other Misguided Thoughts---06-17-08
By Newt Harlan

Good morning, y'all. There’s the usual coffee on the stove and tea and orange juice in the icebox. There’s bread by the toaster oven to make some toast and there’s butter, peanut butter, strawberry and grape jelly all over there on the sideboard, so y'all help yourselves.

Today, June 17 is National Eat Your Vegetables Day, so my topic may be somewhat inappropriate for the day’s observance…on second thought, it should be okay since I do mention beans, peppers, pickles and onions.

I understand if you exercise daily it’s supposed to make you stronger, more flexible and nicer to be around. They didn't say what’s likely to happen if you don't exercise daily, but personally I think there’s a lot to be said for sitting around, drinking beer and eating snacks…but then, that’s just my opinion.

It looks like today is going to be typical summer day weather wise here in the Southeast corner of Texas, cloudy, warm and muggy. It was 76 when I first looked out around 5:00 and it’s is already pushing 80, so the high of 94 should be registering this afternoon.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Belly Waddin’

One of the things that I retain from my East Texas--Southern raising is an occasional craving for a good old belly waddin’ lunch. I’m sure there are quite a few of you who have no idea what a belly waddin’ lunch is. Belly waddin’ more or less referred to something you ate that wasn't considered a “realâ€

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Newt sounds like a fellow I'd like to meet and know. Tell him, Br'r bear, that the best two things in any potted meat, "processed meat", etc. is the fat and cereal. The rest is "5T": Tails, Tits, Tongues, Touchholes, and Testicles.

We used to make our Boy Scouts read the ingredients on such cans of crap, and let them carry 1 can for emergency rations. If they had to eat that - they knew it was a real emergency.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
* A can of Vienna Sausage (pronounced vii-YEE-na)
* A can of Potted Meat
* A can of Deviled Ham
* A can of Sardines
* A small stalk of Summer Sausage
* A chunk of rat trap cheese
* A small can of Pork and Beans
* A couple of fresh Jalapeno peppers
* A package of Twinkies or Ding Dongs for dessert

A nine course camping meal and it needs to be washed down with a cold RC Cola. It don't get no better then this , No Sir , some fine vittles.

I can look at that list and see everyone I paddle and camp with sitting around on a shore break enjoying one or several of those items. Ya have to remember we drive pick me up trucks and 4 wheel drive vehicles , no BMW's and such for us.

Now he did forget the little packs of the Oriental , hot , mustard and the bottle of hot sauce. :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
A nine course camping meal and it needs to be washed down with a cold RC Cola. It don't get no better then this , No Sir , some fine vittles.
Chuck.

And ya call yerself a respectable Southern Cracker! Where is the Moon Pies to go with that RC Cola? :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
oldsparkey said:
Chuck.

And ya call yerself a respectable Southern Cracker! Where is the Moon Pies to go with that RC Cola? :roll:

That is strictly understood , never needs mentioning .... Unless Twinkies are not available. Actually is is from my upbringing , I was raised by some Yankees transplanted from some thing/place called Wisconsin.

Plus you have to remember I'm from Texas , does that require more explaining or is nuff said. :roll:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Boy, Bear, this thread brings back memories of my childhood. My parents ran a small country grocery store and there was a lot of construction going on -- oil drilling, board roads, pipelines, etc. We used to sell that kind of stuff every day. I remember one guy that stuck in my mind. He bought a can of sardines, a small onion, a pack of saltines and a bottle of hot sauce. He carefully cut up the onion and mixed it in with the cut-up sardines and then dowsed it with hot sauce.

He spread some on a saltine and you'd have thought he was eating prime rib. He was smacking his lips and making happy noises and enjoying it to no end. I don't think I've ever seen anyone enjoy a meal that much since.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

I eat like that sometimes myownself, cept like the High Sheriff, I add some of the little packages of sauce I grab ever time we hit the quick food cafes. I put soy sauce 'n sweet pickle relish rite in a can of sardines in soy bean oil. I dont eat nuthin' but oil sardines no more...........cuz of all the packages. Taco Bell "Fire" goes good on 'em. They even make packages of onion. Now, dont git me wrong, sardines on a soda cracker ought have a Vidalia 'er a Texas Sweet, but I live in the fast lane....gotta grab all the gusto I kin 'n git out the door before the day iz over.

Ole Newt iz a hoot, aint he? Did ya pull up that other link bout the bear huntin' over ta southeast Texas? It wuz a fine tale....even had Teddy Roosevelt in it. Teddy had jest finished hiz hunt a few miles down the road. He left like a cowboy who didnt finish in the money 'n headed fer Texas ta hunt bears with the judge 'n hiz pals.

regards
bearridge

To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals. Benjamin Franklin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear...

I have the little packets from the Chinese joints , Taco Bell , Burger King , Long John Silvers , Captain D's and even Wendie's an Micky D's.

Make a small purchase and then stock up on the good stuff before leaving there. Heck on the last trip , I furnished Swampy with the Chinese Hot Mustard for his sausage.

Chuck.
PS. Vienna's with the Fire from Taco Bell are down right good on a Ritz. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
We all figger we live special lives.....different frum everbody else.....but it jest aint so. Last time I wuz up on the bluff, Miz Winnie laughed at how much my life 'n Tom's iz so much alike....but then we like ta shoot straight 'n often. How bout them packages of mayo? Bacon 'n tomato sammiches without a ice cooler! :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We may ( All of us ) live in different parts of the USA but it does not mean we are alone in our thoughts about good eats.

Ain't nothing better the a BLT , had one a couple of days ago for breakfast and it was some sort of good. Heck even had them out camping with this misfit from Mississippi. :lol:

At lease out camping the wife does not fuss at me for using up all her bacon , she thinks the bacon in the frig is hers since she gets me sausage. Biggest mistake she made was getting those big , fat , ripe , tamaters and fresh lettuce.

OK.. before someone says it ......Next to the biggest mistake she ever made , marrying me. :roll:

Chuck.