Benefits of Florida , Meeting new people. | SouthernPaddler.com

Benefits of Florida , Meeting new people.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The benefits of living in Florida are numerous. Today I found one more to add to that very long list. To regress a minute..... Several weeks go I had a check up by my dermatologists Nurse practitioner. She found a spot on the very top of my head , took a biopsy and sent it off.
A few days later I got a phone call... Congratulations , That spot we biopsied is cancerous and malignant. You will need to set up a appointment with Dr. Jeff and have it removed. I did the very thing and today I meet Dr.Jeff.
He explained this cancer is not the type you get from your jeans but you get it from the sunlight. Not from yesterday but from 40 or 50 years ago.
Well 60 years ago I had a flat top haircut , went shirtless for a good tan and liked being outside. Between working for my Dad in the fields , football during and after school and plus all the other activities ( the Beach ) we did back then. Not thinking about sun block ( what's that krap ?) those years are catching up to me.
So , today I have a hole in the fleshy part of my scalp , not a deep one but a hole nevertheless. Figuring about 3 months to completely heal.
PRO......The upside is Dr.Jell got all of it , I will heal and the fun part was meeting Dr.Jeff , he is a very interesting person and someone you can't help but like.
CON..... Have to have a bandage on the wound till it heals , 90 days. I received a new backpack that has been ordered for some time and have to wait till sometime in November to try it on the trail. Dam wound is right on the top of the head and I can't see up there so the wife will be applying ( waterproof ) bandages ( & ointment ) and removing them every day or every other day.
Additional benefit...... Being a Heart Patient I have to have antibiotics because of the surgery. The antibiotics have a side benefit or disaster depending on how you look at it.... Diarrhea.
I can truthfully say , I'm not full of chit , something I bet most of you can't say and I couldn't till now. LOL

Chuck.....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hope you do well with your recovery.
I'm glade you like the new doc. but does not seem to be a good way to meet new people.:)

Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
The benefits of living in Florida are numerous. Today I found one more to add to that very long list. To regress a minute..... Several weeks go I had a check up by my dermatologists Nurse practitioner. She found a spot on the very top of my head , took a biopsy and sent it off.
A few days later I got a phone call... Congratulations , That spot we biopsied is cancerous and malignant. You will need to set up a appointment with Dr. Jeff and have it removed. I did the very thing and today I meet Dr.Jeff.
He explained this cancer is not the type you get from your jeans but you get it from the sunlight. Not from yesterday but from 40 or 50 years ago.
Well 60 years ago I had a flat top haircut , went shirtless for a good tan and liked being outside. Between working for my Dad in the fields , football during and after school and plus all the other activities ( the Beach ) we did back then. Not thinking about sun block ( what's that krap ?) those years are catching up to me.
So , today I have a hole in the fleshy part of my scalp , not a deep one but a hole nevertheless. Figuring about 3 months to completely heal.
PRO......The upside is Dr.Jell got all of it , I will heal and the fun part was meeting Dr.Jeff , he is a very interesting person and someone you can't help but like.
CON..... Have to have a bandage on the wound till it heals , 90 days. I received a new backpack that has been ordered for some time and have to wait till sometime in November to try it on the trail. Dam wound is right on the top of the head and I can't see up there so the wife will be applying ( waterproof ) bandages ( & ointment ) and removing them every day or every other day.
Additional benefit...... Being a Heart Patient I have to have antibiotics because of the surgery. The antibiotics have a side benefit or disaster depending on how you look at it.... Diarrhea.
I can truthfully say , I'm not full of chit , something I bet most of you can't say and I couldn't till now. LOL

Chuck.....
I wish you well Chuck , I had some similar surgery about 10 years ago that blew up.. Took almost 6 months to completely heal, the good news is it's gone. We'll pray for your continued good health every evening for a while.
I had 6 bypass surgery About 4 months ago nobody mentioned anything about antibiotics and future surgery guess I better check that out!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
6 months for you , double what they told me. Heck I'm looking forward to the day when we can stop the bandages and from what they said that is sometime in the last month. It's been fun ( Not really ) locating bandages that are 48 hour ones and waterproof but thanks to Amazon I have located them. Locally there are some but all are to small. I'm getting use to the bandages , I think of them as a small Hat , a really small hat under my normal hat. ;)
The antibiotics are when ever I have to have surgery , it's a precautionary measure the local Surgeons require. Plus stopping the blood thinners 7 days before any surgery. Some want 10 days but my Cardiologist will only agree to 7.

I had the triple bypass back in 2013 and my meds went from 12 different ones to only 5. It's amazing what open channels can do for a person. My problem is that the sternum has not totally healed and at times my chest sounds like a oil can , when the two sides move interdependently. Not a lot , just enough to give me a thunk , thunk. Usually when I lay down and move from one side to the other. So I lay on one side now.
I hope you are feeling a lot better after the Bypass. All I can say is it gets better every day.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So, the guy did an incomplete job of scalping you. We’ll hope that he doesn’t come back to finish the job.
Darned cancers of different kinds are things we have to watch out for. I had one (squamus) on the side of my left foot, just under the ankle bone. No sunshine there. Beats me what the heck caused it.
Keep going, Chuck; I’m glad you’re still able to sit up and take nourishment.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The doc wrecked my image. He had to cut off that one hair that was up on the top. Apparently some sacrifices had to be made on my part. I told him my barber was going to get mad since that hair was the one he charged me for with each haircut. My guess , the Doc was not the worried he appeared to be in the same boat with his barber. LOL.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bears Buddy.... Now you know why Jack can pile it higher and deeper. Apparently at some time he was on the wrong end of those critters before the passed away.
We love ya Jack , we really do & it's the truth. Now holding to that thought who wants to buy that ocean front property I have in Arizona , or how about a bridge in Brooklyn ?