Big Party In Alaska | SouthernPaddler.com

Big Party In Alaska

islandpiper

Old Father Bearridge wrote:
Brung back memories. Late nite, sweaty crowd, heap a drinkin', slow dancin', makin' up words while yer tryin' ta fix a drink, lite a smoke 'er search fer the song list. I reckon young folk dont do that much anymore.

And this brought back to mind the old story about the young fellow who moved to the outback in Alaska to "get away from everything".....

He staked a claim, away out from anything and anybody and over the next six months cleared a spot and built a cabin, laid in wood for the winter and got his trapline organized.

It startled him one morning when there was a knock on the door. He opened the door and there was another homesteader standing there, wooly and with the aroma of the bush about him.

The fellow introduced himself and said,"My cabin is about 11-miles upstream and I've been there about six years now. Since you are the new guy in the neighborhood I wanted to invite you over to a party I'm having on Saturday night."

"Well", the younger man said,"I'll be there, it sounds liked fun and it's neighborly of you to ask."

The older fellow was leaving when he turned around and said, "Oh, there's drinking at my parties, sometimes a lot of drinking......just thought I should tell you."

The younger fellow replied that he could use a drink and could hold his licquor.

The older one, paused and said,"And sometimes there's fighting....."

The younger man thought for a minute and said that he was in good shape and figured he could hold his own in a scuffle.

"One more thing," the older homesteader said, "there is always s*x at my parties, sometimes some pretty kinky s*x....."

"Well, I've been out here alone for six months and I could use a lilttle action." said the younger man. "And, by the way, just who is going to be at this party?"

The older homesteader looked up and said......
"Oh, just you and me, buddy......"

(ouch)

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

Never played fer a party like that, but IIRC, the Grateful Dead did. It wuz way back in the 60's. They hired out fer a party 'n set up on the stage. Purty soon the place begun ta fill up....with fellas. It wuz a buck dancer's choice my friend. :wink:

I give up on Jesse Earl 'n the Blue Moons in 1973. After I left, the rest of the band went ta play at the west Tennessee mental hotel at Bolivar, Tennessee. They tole me some of the folks wuz so fulla thorazine they danced with chairs 'er life savers frum the cement pond.

What kinda honky tonks did ya play?

regards
bearridge

I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?'  He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'  Frank Layden, Utah Jazz President

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bush men are individualists. Met one in the Sierra Nevadas that was so ornery, he'd drift upstream. He offered me a drink one evening at his camp. I paused, looking through the amber liquid at the flames. After a few seconds he barked, "Drink the damned stuff, kid! Before it etches the glass!"