1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Birdsmouth oars

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by tx river rat, Jun 28, 2012.

  1. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    I have built some paddles but never a oar or a birdmouth type shaft. So I figure there is no time like the present so here we go.
    Had some cedar strips 1/4 thick so I ripped the 45% angle in the edge.

    [​IMG]

    did this to seven pieces and the glued them up with tit bond II



    [​IMG]

    The zip ties work well to hold them together.

    view from one end

    [​IMG]

    after they dried I took a plane and rounded them up.
    Ron
     
  2. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    glued up some scrap cedar and turned the handles and plugs

    [​IMG]

    glued them in

    [​IMG]

    then I glued up the blades and ran them through the planer

    [​IMG]

    After gluing in the plug I thinned some tite bond and poured it into the shaft rolled it around and coated the inside.
    Ron
     
  3. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    Cut a slot 1/4 deep on the side of the shaft

    [​IMG]

    glued on the blade.

    [​IMG]

    layed up another piece of cedar for the blade brace.

    [​IMG]

    Ron
     
  4. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    Trimed the tip piece , it laps inside the shaft for an inch and a half.
    here is one I am fitting

    [​IMG]

    one glued in place

    [​IMG]

    then I started sanding and finishing the shaft.
    Ron
     
  5. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    Fillets run on paddle blade.

    [​IMG]

    a lot of sanding and then a precoat of epoxy.

    [​IMG]

    There starting to look like some thing now and still plenty light.
    Ron
     
  6. tx river rat

    tx river rat Well-Known Member

    I put cloth and epoxy on the blades and 6 inches up the shaft. then wrapped the wear points with rope and made stops for oar locks and installed them

    [​IMG]

    put on another coat of epoxy and then spar varnish, they are still plenty light.
    I will be ready to try them before long.
    Ron
     

Share This Page