Blackwater River | SouthernPaddler.com

Blackwater River

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is one easy trip report to look at. Sure looked like there wasn't a shortage of sandbars to camp on and the clear water with the sand bottom makes it even better.

I have to ask , even after seeing all the sandbars and pine trees on the banks.

1. Was this the Blackwater River in the Blackwater State Forest in Florida's panhandle , part of the Florida Canoe Trail ?
2. If it was did you paddle past some of it's tributaries like , Coldwater , Sweetwater or even Juniper creek ?
3. Better yet , where did you put in and then take out ?

Chuck.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Really nice!

Excellent job stitching the pics and music together. A most enjoyable 5 minutes.
Yes, details, please.
This will be on my "must do" list.
Thanks!
Mike

qpassage

We actually paddled through the State Park near the end of our trip. The Outfitter we used took us 11 miles up stream where we ended later at our exit point near our car. And yes it was part of the Florida Canoe Trail. Actually the take out was at the end of the trail.

The Outfitter we used was very easy to find and even in their off season they were friendly and went the extra mile to ensure we had a great trip.
This being my wifes first time in a canoe her nerves were on edge. She finally got use to it after the first mile or so. Dang city girls I tell ya, sometimes it's just easier to dump the canoe right off the bat. But I minded my business as I knew the repercussions of that would be hell paying back.
Here's the link if you are interested.
http://blackwatercanoe.com/

We only paddled the Blackwater putting in at Bryant Bridge where the Outfitter dropped us off. Then our take out was near a campground just down stream of the Deaton Bridge. This was just a day trip for us as we traveled from Gulf Shore and back in the one day.

I enjoyed the trip so much in fact I'm considering a winter camping trip doing the 31 miles in mid Feb 2009. Any takers that may wish to join me drop me a line. It can't be to cold camping there I camp in the Red River Gorge in the wintertime here in KY. Might be a little cool for swiming , but then again maybe not.

qp

qpassage

Re: Really nice!

Nockatee said:
Excellent job stitching the pics and music together. A most enjoyable 5 minutes.
Yes, details, please.
This will be on my "must do" list.
Thanks!
Mike
Thank You Nockatee
I got a couple super programs for making the music. The pictures just take a steady hand and a good eye. I thought she did a fine job taking the pictures.
I'm not sure if I'll talk her into going on my 30 day trip to the Quetico this year but we'll see. I'll get her out on the water a few more times before then.

qp

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck... If you do the whole trip from Alligator Branch ( Put in at SR 180) to Deaton Bridge , about 43 river miles all the way threw the Blackwater River State Forest area then you would get to see everything. :D

Us Geezers could make that trip in 10 or 14 days without any problems .. Might be a few days longer if we got lazy about paddling. :roll: All those sand bars would sure be calling us for a sand bar break and river snacking time , ( we do not paddle and snack , just like driving and drinking) along with other paddling pleasures or bodiley functions when ya feet are on dry ground. :oops:

Chuck.

qpassage

lol you know if you'd quit dragging the feet in the water the canoe would travel faster :lol:

We are talking about going down river aren't we?
43 miles that just a day in the Q. :roll: Unless were fishing then it just depends on how the bite is going.

qp

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend qp,

The High Sheriff iz pullin' yer leg. We would make that trip in 7-8 days unless we figgered some dawdlin' wuz good. :wink: Thanks fer them pictures of yer paddle 'n yer hike. Jimmy W done good too.

regards
bearridge

This country was built on rape, slavery, murder, degradation and affiliation with crime.  Mike Tyson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
qp..... :D

If you are really thinking about doing a trip like that later down the river , I will say something about it to the 11 misfits , renegades , social outcasts and all round great guy's which will be on the St.Mary's River with me in a few days.

They , like myself are always looking for another river to paddle and enjoy.
Yep .. I know the area , the wife's folks use to live up there , visited a lot and did some looking around but never paddled any of the rivers , now it is time for me to make up for that mistake.

If you are really thinking about doing it then ... Please... Post it in the Trips in the Planning section here on the forum. That way we can ask about where to meet , the outfitter , camping before and after the trip and all of the other questions that come up.
Besides I think it would be a lot of fun , especially since it is a trip I haven't set up , I can just can sit back and enjoy all of it without any worries , like everyone else. :D

Chuck.
PS. Not trying to frighten you but that area up there in the pan handle you might get some hobo's from the Alabama , Louisiana and even Taxes , "O"pp's ..Texas interested on doing the trip.

qpassage

I'm serious about doing a trip of such. I'll take up the logistics of it with the better half. There no way I could go south without her in the winter. She wouldn't camp, she only camps at those fancy campsites "Hilton". Depending on her vacation time I'm sure she would welcome warmth by then as well as visiting with family again..
I'll try to post something before Christmas.

qp

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
qpassage said:
I enjoyed the trip so much in fact I'm considering a winter camping trip doing the 31 miles in mid Feb 2009. Any takers that may wish to join me drop me a line. It can't be to cold camping there I camp in the Red River Gorge in the wintertime here in KY. Might be a little cool for swiming , but then again maybe not.

Feb
Average low is 45
Average high is 64
Record low 13
Record high 82

Not quite KY weather. But can git chilly.
In 2006 I was paddling the Big Bend Trail along the arm pit of the Florida Panhandle, we had a 18 degree night in early December, followed by a 23 the next.

DM

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I like that plan. Eazy drive fer me. Mebbe we kin rent a nurse gymnast? :mrgreen: Yer wife mite like a condo on the gulf. February price iz cheap. Destin wuz mitey special, but they built too much stuff.

regards
bearridge

Oral Roberts is a greed-crazed white trash lunatic who should have been hung upside down from a telephone pole on the outskirts of Tulsa 44 years ago before he somehow transmogrified into the money-sucking animal that he became when he discovered television.  Hunter S. Thompson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
... Oral Roberts is a greed-crazed white trash lunatic who should have been hung upside down from a telephone pole on the outskirts of Tulsa 44 years ago before he somehow transmogrified into the money-sucking animal that he became when he discovered television.  Hunter S. Thompson
Oral Roberts (substitute the name of any television preacher here) is a greed-crazed white (substitute applicable color here) trash lunatic who should have been hung upside down from a telephone pole on the outskirts of Tulsa (substitute name of most any local town here) 44 (substitute applicable time period here) years ago before he somehow transmogrified into the money-sucking animal that he became when he discovered television (substitute most any church activity here)