Bloody Mary River 'nutha club trip. | SouthernPaddler.com

Bloody Mary River 'nutha club trip.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Robin and I just got back from a paddle up our Mary river with the local canoe & kayak club. I should have known something was up when so few members nominated for this one.

We have never paddled this stretch of river before and we are allways up for a chance to paddle a new place. Planned put in was at a place called Beaver Rock, 24 klms down stream from Maryborough and to paddle to Maryborough with the rising tide - easy.

We all met up at the take out in Maryborough (all 5 of us) where we transferred our boats to the club trailer and parked our cars.

IMGP0877001640x480.jpg

and off we went.

When we arrived at the put in, the tide was still falling strongly. Nevermind, we assumed that the Mary, being in the same area, and passing through the same sort of country as our beloved Burrum would have similar numbers of exposed sand bars where we could pull out and rest - Wrong. There was nowhere we could pull out. The banks are steep too allmost all the way and where they aren't the mud is deep and soft and I have no doubt one would sink to the armpits in it.

Robin and I are basically recreational paddlers. We paddle because we like to take in the scenery, take photographs and stop frequently for a swim etc. The lower Mary River sucks for what we like to do.

We punched into a very strong falling tide for about 2 hours before it changed. We were both very hot and tired by this time and paddling a tandem kayak in these conditions is a recepie for divorce. I would not recommend it to anyone. We are the best of friends however, and only came close to exchanging paddle strikes a couple of times. :lol:

As the tide turned, we could relax a bit and take a few piccies. This is the trip leader, Keith in his very slippery TK1 racing yak.
IMGP0881005640x480.jpg

Perry in his lovely sea kayak. Funny little Englishman and a real nice bloke. The heat hurt him in his PFD and spray skirt. He had taken the spray skirt off when this one was taken

IMGP0888012640x480.jpg

Both these fellers are geezers.

Here is John, some FNG who soon got fed up with our geezerly pace and took off and left us behind.
IMGP0884008640x480.jpg

For the most part, this section is pretty featureless, the water is dirty brown in colour and it has not impressed either Robin or me. I don't think we will be doing this trip again any time soon.

As we approached Maryborough, there were some gracious old colonial homes along the banks,

DSCF2274005640x480.jpg

DSCF2275006640x480.jpg

Some ugly new ones,

DSCF2285016640x480.jpg

DSCF2287018640x480.jpg

and the just plain absurd.

DSCF2288019640x480.jpg

We travelled 24 klms today - in 4 hours, I think that was a pretty good pace for geezers. Even though the river was pretty ordinary for what we like to do, it was still a very good work out and that makes it one less place we need to go.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
We travelled 24 klms today - in 4 hours, I think that was a pretty good pace for geezers.
Heck naw.....rule 6.b.ii sez ".....never paddle more'n a few miles each day..." We got a rule on how ya caint paddle agin the tides, but we gotta amend it cuz of the truble the High Sheriff had with the sea charts down in Neverglade City.

Haha. I was just thinking that all the yaks that I saw looks like they were more along the "performance" models, compared to any I have owned. Especially the one I have now. I'd have needed binos to even see which way yall went.

I have always wondered, do the crocs bother you if you are forced to paddle "through" them, like in smaller waters, or do they generally leave you alone as long as you don't linger?

A strong paddle nudge will usually keep a Gator at bay, unless he has lost all fear of people, but I have never paddled with a Croc.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, your description of a muddy, yucky river reminds me of the reason i don't enjoy rivers in the SE'ly US. They often look like sink drains. I'm partial to sand/ gravel/ rock lined rivers with clear waters.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Robin and I are pretty sore today so we are just loafing round the house.

Perry has very kindly emailed me some of his piccies. here are a couple he sent.

This is the put in at Beaver Rock, Check out the slimey mud to the left of the ramp.

Beaver_Rock_18_Nov_07_0061.jpg

A couple of the D'Bay in flight :D We were workin the eddies along the bank to try to keep up with the fleet.

Beaver_Rock_18_Nov_07_0091.jpg

Beaver_Rock_18_Nov_07_0101.jpg

Crocks are very rare here. We are at the limit of their southern range but with the climate change thing happening, i am sure they will start to move in.

The real problem in this area are the drop bears :p

Dropbear.jpg

and the Crogs

Crog.jpg

:p :p :p

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I wonder if they do any snipe hunt'n in OZ?

After the High Sheriff read that tide chart in the Neverglades trip.....I'm wonder'n if he can find his arse with two hands and a flashlight? :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldyaker said:
... After the High Sheriff read that tide chart in the Neverglades trip.....I'm wonder'n if he can find his arse with two hands and a flashlight?
Likely not. His Boy Scout reputation took a beating that day. Actually both days - going out and coming back both!