Blue Springs | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Blue Springs

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Our younger day's.

Bear, I was goin' ta school in FL in them day's. Wazn't any jobs when I came home from da big war so I used up the GI bill. I twisted wrenches on little on crop dusters and 'lil aeroplanes and when I had money for the gas I'd fly up side down and loop and roll over the beaches. (I'd probably up chuck doing that now.) On the way home from the aerodrome, I'd pull into the 7-11 for a couple cans of 25 cent Old Milwaukee, and if I had even a little more money, I'd stop by the shrimp boat docks and pick up a small bucket of shrimp to steam for dinner, was cheap right from the shrimpers. Boy, I didn't have much back then but life was simple and easy. I sorely miss it. Guess I'll go for a second dose of it when I retire.

Swampus, If I could only come across a few of dem sireens wash'n clothes those boyz came across on the river in that movie!!! :p Guess thats why I'm on the river so much, I'm still look'n. If I did find them, I'd probably turn my ownself into a frog and CROAK!!!

A

Anonymous

Always Faithful Friend Swampy,

I like that "Where Art Thou" music. It wuz the first kind I ever learnt. A fella who went ta army school over ta Chattanooga come ta live with hiz dad in the summer. He had a banjo. Dr. Jimmy Clyde kin play near bout anything with a string 'er a hole. This fella had us plannin' ta set in the back of a punch buttom Plymouth convertible 'n give the colored fellas down on the low end a taste a bluegrass one Saturday evenin'.

I dont know what brung on that kinda thinkin'. Back then I figger everbody woulda got a laugh 'er two. I still like that kinda pickin'.

Almost West Virginified Friend oldyaker,

I wuz kinda short on cash myownself. When I first went down there I moved in with a pal who wuz on the GI bill hizownself. He picked the Ringling Brothers Art School ta learn a trade. I got the minimum wage fer modelin' fer the students, but I never took my drawers off. I doubt art drawin' goes good with the giggles.

Az I recall it wuz a grocery down there with its own beer. Can wuz yellow with the word "Beer" on it. That wuz it. It didnt even have no writin' 'er warnin' on it. Back then ya had ta know drunk 'n safe wuz like Crisco 'n water.

Friend High Sheriff 'n Master a Flows,

Jest this mornin' I used the bottle I fixed up fer the Commodore ('er mebbe fer Ray 'er Dapper Al). Mitey good on a fried egg.

Yesterday I put it on fish sticks. I never seen nuthin' improve az much az fish sticks. Course I also put it on the french fries 'n the cole slaw too.

I dont put none on my biscuits. I like mustard on 'em. Uh hmmm.

regards,

bearridge

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called 'brightness,' but it doesn't work. Gallager

A

Anonymous

back up

if bro' bear is gonna commence singin ballads th next trip, lemme know if i should bring my banjo or guitar. if'n we got other fellas along that can play those, i gat a genuine old washtub bass i can pull a line on too.

id drag my bagpipes with me to wake everbody up in th mornin , but me an Caleb always th last ones up anyways . plus , dont wanna start any fights with em ~ al

A

Anonymous

Friend allen,

Ya kin bring whatever ya like, but az fer singin', I dont have a fine Irish tenor....like Seans brother. However, whenever its me 'n some pals passin' round the Barleycorn, I am often compelled ta break inta a fine song. Aye.

Not only that, but if its some fine Fosters I reckon I mite rip inta one bout tyin' the kangaroo down 'er the Waltzin' Matilda. I figger Dave kin join in 'n help me out. Good on ya mate.

May the faieres smile on ya all yer days!

bearridge

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators. P. J. O'Rourke

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
OldYaker yer now speaking to me... I can remember going down to the shrimp boats when they came in and get 10-20 pounds of shrimp by trading what KT would fry up . The boys then stayed on the boats and got tired of fish for breakfast, dinner and supper. She'd fry up chicken and I'd tote it over to them when the captain went home and left his boat and crew. The fish was theirs but like I said they trade in a heart beat. There were also a lot of other fish that would come up in the nets that tasted great.

Now those days are long gone with OSHA and insurance demands. No one stays aboard working or off time ... But there were a couple years that sea food was a plenty. Forgot those boys names ... but good as gold. Enjoyed spending evenings with them listening to their stories and tales. Even could fish off the dock there in the sound. But that stopped when they saw that money might be made and started charging... then in came insurance and regulations .. :(

Now days takes a heap of gold just to say yer poor in one spot. Back then .... I have several old blueprints of house boats made for the returning vet and their families. Total cost boasted of under $200 !
Using 1Xs and 2Xs with some "rubber" goo you could be on the water in no time... "Just tie off on some public shore and have comfort!" yeah right ...

yea, the "good old days" ... there really were some good things back then .... still are .... you just have to work harder to get them. :wink:

swampy

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Friend Allen , bring em next time.... I'd love to see which end Chuck comes out of that hammock! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bro Bar, unlike ol Shawn we'll keep the water mochisans down river and ya won't have nuthin to fret over .... sides you the only one to see such a baskin along the banks :shock:
Allen tagged a branch sitter though .... an he an Al played paddy cake with a gator ....

But none of use seen them siriens like Oldyak is a looking fer ... recon we'd all turn into toddy frogs if'in we did see such ... :oops:

swampy

A

Anonymous

hmmm , i musta been keepin company with an englishman! :shock:

its ok Chuck , nobodys perfect :p

A

Anonymous

oldsparkey said:
I an just about of the Zat mix you gave me ... How do you do it , what is the process , tell me .... I is desperate.

Friend Ole Sparkey,

First, buy a quart jar a Zatarains Shrimp and Crawfish Boil. Second, git a little bottle ta pour some in. Set it over near the stove ta keep it handy.

The stuff I mixed up fer ya'll wuz bout 80% Zatarains 'n 20% whatever I had in little bottles. I had ta empty a heap a little bottles so I would have enuff bottles fer everbody on the St. Mary trip, but I got ta havin' fun 'n plum fergot ta give everbody a bottle.

Fer that 20% I add any of the followin' ('er whatever I have on hand): garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, celery salt, paprika, meat tenderizer, black pepper, lemon pepper, chili powder, cayene pepper, dill, maryjane, etc. If it haz a taste 'n it iz a powder, its good ta go.

If I aint headed out fer the St. Mary, I jest use straight Zatarains.

regards,

bearridge

College isn't the place to go for ideas. Hellen Keller

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thank's!

Chuckanator,
Thank's for the Zat's web site. I had my own recipe for Red Beans 'N' Rice, but right now I got a cast iron pot on the stove simmer'n with the Zat's recipe off the web site. Sounds good. Great evening for it too, it's sunny and 65 degrees out with low humidity. Great night for comfort food.

I used habanero pepper in the Zat's Red Beans and Rice Recipe instead of cayenne, BAM!!! Kick it up a notch. :twisted: Oh and instead of one clove of garlic, I mashed up the whole bulb. :shock: Italian birth control, 'cept these days 'Ol Yak don't have that problem. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Habanero? Lord a mercy! I aint sho which red bean/rice recipe ya picked, but I really like that stuff. Rice soaks up too much water if ya aint careful.

Zatarains Shrimp 'n Crawdad Boil iz mitey good fer the lazy folks, like me. It iz cayene, garlic, salt 'n a heap more stuff. Ya dump it in red beans 'n rice, ya put it on french fries, eggs, salad, shrimp, burgers, cole slaw, baked potatoes, vegetables, fish sticks 'n more.

Please give my regards 'n condolences ta Miz oldyaker.

regards,

bearridge

The meek shall inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights. J. Paul Getty

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Back up the post a ways, (what-the-hell-ever the original subject was) you fellas was talking about guitars, banjos, n singin. Now I been workin, and have learned another note - doubled my range. I know lotsa good campfire/ beer drinking songs. Some is lamentable and some cheery.

Limericks about folks from places like Nantucket, the Azores, Adair, etc. etc. Song about a Scottish wedding. Ballad of Sammy Small. etc.

Big Band era a specialty. Sentimental Journey, Ballad of the Fox, Chattanooga Choo Choo, The Thing, etc.

Miji serenade by moonlight. (or whatever light is available)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Well now brother Jack, it seems that your now the official crooner for the Miji trip. I 'd think though you might be a little behind on the southern songs of the past. Particularly the last invation period. "Bonnie Blue"? "Join the Calvary" (with some stansas' writ by Jeb himself) then both sides facied "Lara Lee" .... I kin send ya a listing of some...

I enjoy using the grass reed to play along with. They got grass up thar?

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swampy said:
Well now brother Jack, it seems that your now the official crooner for the Miji trip. (SNIP)
For $5 I'll sing a song. For $10, I'll remain silent.

Even Presley couldn't ruin Ora Lee - but he sure tried hard enough. Cavalry songs, ehh? Like Gary Owens? (Custer's theme)