Boat design | SouthernPaddler.com

Boat design

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Has anyone on the forum built and or paddled a Rob Roy? I really like the size and looks of the ones I have seen plans for but really don't want to be limited to sitting on the floor and using a kayak paddle. I have seen pictures of the built boat with a small raised seat in one but can't seem to get more information on it. I specifically would like to know the above and if the design is heavily rockered as most pictures I have looked at seem to show. Any specific plans or links to more information is greatly appreciated. I have looked at the more common sites for canoe plans. (I also know this is pretty general questions as plans for a "Rob Roy boat" will vary but any info is greatly appreciated!)

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I don't have any experience with a Rob Roy, but am slowly working on one of Matt's Southwind 15-30 canoes. It is a decked canoe, but with a larger cockpit than MacGregor's original Rob Roy. For now, I plan on using a short seat about like Chuck's pirogue seat and using both single and double paddles.

Jimmy