Boat finish | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Boat finish

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
woodman said:
tx river rat said:
25 dollars a quart, all the varnish I had used was like Jack said soft, this stuff dries hard and from the way Darrels boat has weathered a couple years outside on the trailer the uv is also good.
Made a believer out of me.
I just bought a gallon yesterday to refinish some boats it was 68.00
Ron
PS we are using the gloss

Ron dosent the amount of air space left in an oil based container as it gets used cause the paint to crust over? Be nice to down size the container as it is used....A gallon is quite a bit at one time...

As you use it out of the container put marbles or such in the can to brng the liquid level back up to the top so you don't have much of an air space. At some point you would probably want to pour it into a smaller container. Ron will probably use the whole gallon up before it has a chance to skin over. :mrgreen:
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
tx river rat said:
I think it was captions spar varnish , I ordered it online.
I dont know the whys and in and outs of the formulas I just know how it has held up on Darrels boat under just about as rough a usage as you can get.
I will look on the can and give you what it is.
Ron

:? Again. I thought "Captin's" was made by Pettit not Benjamin Moore?

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The captains is what I used on my other boats ,not what I am using now.
I just posted up what worked well for Darrel and what I am going to.
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
tx river rat said:
The captains is what I used on my other boats ,not what I am using now.
I just posted up what worked well for Darrel and what I am going to.
Ron

I understand now. You are saying Benjamin Moore is harder than Captain's. It may be harder than Rustolelum, but we don't know since they were not used under the same circumstances.

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Beekeeper that is true, you dont know.
I am not selling this stuff just reporting on what works for me and seeing how it has stood up on a boat for a couple years in the sun ,bouncing off rocks being drug in mud gravel sand and seeing it not scratch up inside or out.
I am not having the problems you are with the scratching since I have gone to this, so I guess you would just have to try it to find out.

Ron

islandpiper

beekeeper said:
Ron
My tracking mud (with sand and grit in it) into the boat, and my heavy feet act like 80 grit sand paper.
:wink: Swampwood won't let me borrow his kayak to run scratch tests. :cry:

beekeeper

JD, where the heck are you paddling?? Where ever I've been in these parts the mud is more like wet face powder......i haven't seen sand since I left Michigan! :D piper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Piper
We were way up Nawth (around Shreveport), about 5 miles south of Arkansaw, on Bayou Dorcheat. Any farther north and we would have had to slip home under the cover of darkness! :roll: :lol:

beekeeper