Boat Speed | SouthernPaddler.com

Boat Speed

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Saw a post on an outdoor forum about long distant paddling. A statement was made that a kayak paddler traveling the length of the Mississippi River paddled 35 to 112 miles per day.
I don't paddle long distances or very long at one time, nor do I have a kayak, but 112 miles in one day seems extreme to me. Only way I'm paddling more than 15 min. at one time is if the fishing hole is 20 min. away. :rolleyes:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Saw a post on an outdoor forum about long distant paddling. A statement was made that a kayak paddler traveling the length of the Mississippi River paddled 35 to 112 miles per day.
I don't paddle long distances or very long at one time, nor do I have a kayak, but 112 miles in one day seems extreme to me. Only way I'm paddling more than 15 min. at one time is if the fishing hole is 20 min. away. :rolleyes:
Even at that I'd stop to fish a few spots!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Had not considered the current. Seems normal current is 1.2 to 3 miles per hour. That would help.
I can think of better and safer things to do than paddle for that many hours on the Mississippi. Everybody has their own game they like. I'm glad every body does not like to pirogue fish. It would be awful crowded up the bayou.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Futher research finds 7 mph is a bit high. 1.5 to 3 mph is more realistic. Added on to the 3 mph current, a 3.5 mph kayak speed still makes for a heck of a day of paddling to approach 100 miles. I don't think I was EVER young enough to tackle a trip down Ole Muddy in a paddlecraft.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There is a critter or should I say critters out there hyped up on how fast they can do a trail. The trail can be either a hiking one like the Appalachian Trail or a bike trail across the USA.
I can see where there would be the same critter interested in setting a speed record for paddling a river. A kayak designed for speed could cover some water , especially if they are using a ground crew for support.
It would take the fun out of it for me , I like going slow and even spending an extra day at a good campsite.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JD, I’ve paddled and camped Lake Veret. Joey Dupre guided the trip out there interesting area. I made sure to stick close by Joey, so I could get back out. (It ain’t so interesting that I want to remain there.)