Bolger pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Bolger pirogue

victorsinclair

May 2, 2008
have any of you built or messed around in one of these? at first I thought 2 feet to be a bit narrow, but maybe not. how about sailing one, anyone try that in a pirogue that narrow? there are only two accounts on the web about sailing one. one a white knuckler and the other said "no problem" :wink: Well it looks easy to build anyway.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have built several Pirogues and have done a lot of modifications to them...... Never have done a Bolger pirogue , just the old fashion ones. The Bolger ones look more like a decked over canoe or a Rob Roy type of craft.

Uncle Johns web site........
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

The seat I designed for the pirogue or any boat to have paddling comfort....... Even out of the boat and around the campfire.
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/seat/default.htm

The sailing rig ............
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/littleton/Default.htm

How to make mine........
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/sail/sail.pdf

Here's another good site to look at as far as sailing a pirogue off shore in the salt water. .
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/mike/default.htm

I would suggest if you make a Pirogue to test it and see how far you can lean it before getting wet , this is best done in shallow water and in the summer time. When that is understood then add on what you want so you know how the boat will handle without you going swimming.

Pirogues are fun boats and they will do just about anything you want except for paddling white water , they are shallow and easy water boats.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.........

"O" Matt at www.jemwatercraft.com/ has several like the Bolger that might interest you , any time when building a wood boat it all comes down to what does the builder want and how will it be used for there recreation.

Chuck.

victorsinclair

May 2, 2008
sailing pirogue

I built one of your UJ pirogues, I liked it a lot, I had it for about 2 months befor I droped one end and broke it. I used Gorilla glue and taped the seams, when it hit the concrete it cracked up the stem. I built another one this winter from the Jem free plans. It has been too cold until the last few weeks to get epoxy to set. now I have to uncover the boat and finish it. I was reading something today on this site and may build a flat transom on the UJ boat and cut off the broken part. then I will have one for my wife and I.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To COLD..... Where are you it is in the lower 90's here in Florida and summer is not even here , much less thinking about it. We really don't want to think about summer around here .No Sir , No Way. :twisted:

By the way those are not my UJ.Pirogues they are his.... Plus all of what I have done to make them more fun is all his , I do not get a red cent plus even , at times , no credit for even thinking of them. :lol:

I refused any incentive from those ideas so I can remain neutral in the discussions and not have anyone saying ... Yep you get a kick back from them..... Sorry .. I pay just like anyone else and I would not have it any other way. :D

That's Just Me........

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Welcome to the Forum Vic. Now we have 3 members from Ozark. This is a fun group. I got a UJ in the build and the plans and plywood for JEM SW 15-30. We'll have to get together some weekend and do a float.
Paul

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Victor,

Here are some thoughts.

(1) If this is your first build, and you are seeking experience, a "square" boat will be useful for experience.

(2) In the water, however, square edges can be a pain in the neck. They tend to be caught by currents and the boat gets pushed around in ways the paddler does not want or plan on. Also, the boat will have more resistance and be a slower boat. Mother Nature doesn't build fish with square edges. There's a reason.

(3) The part of a "square" boat above the water line is also a pain. It catches wind and the boat gets pushed around in ways the paddler does not want or plan on.

(4) So, to build a square boat for a learning curve is a good idea. Then, build yourself a streamlined boat that is both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically clean - and enjoy it.

(5) JEM has boats in both categories.

Just my thoughts.

islandpiper

Years ago i built several Bolger boats. Interesting designs, but in retrospect, after a bunch of other boats, i know that the Bolgers were not the easiest to build, not the most efficient to build or use. As a first boat , based on the above, I'd suggest one of Matts or a uj........just my ten-cents worth.

piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Victor and welcome aboard mate. :D

I liked it a lot, I had it for about 2 months befor I droped one end and broke it. I used Gorilla glue and taped the seams, when it hit the concrete it cracked up the stem.

Here is the problem, had you used epoxy resin and wood flour to glue the stem plock to the sides, you join would not a failed. Cheaper glues might hold for a while and stand up pretty well to normal wear and tear but the fact is they will not offer the same sort of strength that an epoxy glued joint does.

I have built a couple of Matt's superb pirogues and one or two of his other boats and can vouch for their quality. I love them. At the moment, I am also playing with a UJ pirogue at my work. Uncle John very kindly gave me the plans to use as a training exercise for my men. I have to tell you that I love the lines and the simplicity of this boat. The more I look at her taking shape and shine :D the more impressed I am with the utter genious of the design.

Jem pirogues and UJ pirogues are very different boats and build techniques but equally as good as each other, provided quality adhesives are used in construction. Personally, I would consider anything other than epoxy to be an inferior adhesive and would not recommend using it. :D

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Kayak Jack said:
Victor,

Here are some thoughts.

(1) If this is your first build, and you are seeking experience, a "square" boat will be useful for experience.

(2) In the water, however, square edges can be a pain in the neck. They tend to be caught by currents and the boat gets pushed around in ways the paddler does not want or plan on. Also, the boat will have more resistance and be a slower boat. Mother Nature doesn't build fish with square edges. There's a reason.

(3) The part of a "square" boat above the water line is also a pain. It catches wind and the boat gets pushed around in ways the paddler does not want or plan on.

(4) So, to build a square boat for a learning curve is a good idea. Then, build yourself a streamlined boat that is both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically clean - and enjoy it.

(5) JEM has boats in both categories.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, I agree on all counts. After building my UJ pirogue kit I'm ready for a more efficient design. The JEM Cape Fear SOT Kayak was recommended. I figure fish one season in this pirogue then start on a new boat at season's end.