Book Marking Strips | SouthernPaddler.com

Book Marking Strips

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Any sugestion on keeping in order, or marking strips for book mark assembly?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
J.D. - I don't understand your question. Are you asking about organizing bookmarks into folders?

I'm not sure I understand either. I think the answer to your question is, no.

I thought the term "book marked" refered to referancing the planks (strips) next to each other for glueing (asembly) in the order they were sawed. In searching to answer you question, I discoverd the error of my thinking. The term is actually "bookmatched". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmatched

You are indeed the great teacher. Even in your not understanding, we have been redirected to the correct path. :roll: :lol:

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Your bill is in the mail, J.D. :) I'm glad you figured out what you wanted to know. Sounds like you lay out the strips, and number them sequentially for assembly? Kind of like rebuilding a log cabin after you tore it down and moved it to a new location, ehh?

Experimenting with different layouts means you mark in pencil - not ink, I bet. Do you take pictures to compare?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Ron, mine are not ready to stack until they are planed, and the bead and cove routed. I guess I just need to be better organized and pay closer attention. I was hopeing someone had a system of markings or another way to match each strip.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BK, an old system of marking boats - also used on aircraft - is to have stations. They are in 3D, using (1) Waterline reference (use the bottom of the boat as zero, and go up in 1 inch increments. Also (2) Longitudinal. stations, starting at the very front of the boat as zero, and going aft in 1 inch increments. Finally, (3) Gunnel stations starting at centerline and going left and right in 1 inch increments. You can rename these to suit yourself.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Ron, I understand about restacking them after each step. My work doesn't stay that organized most of the time. Guess I'll have to try (think) harder. Routing the B&C, and broken strips (knots) add steps to the process of keeping order.

If I understand correctly, bookmatching is not only keeping the pieces in the order they are cut, but keeping the faces of each strip together and running in the original direction. After many strips and many steps, it is easy to make an error.

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bee
You will have to do what I do start laying strips out and just match them by eye, It isnt true book matching but you can get some interesting patterns.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bee,
For keeping your strips bookmatched, see if this will help. As you cut strips out of a board, lay them aside in order as you cut them. When that board has been compleately cut and all the strips are in order like they were in the original board use a pencil and make an x on the end of the strips from corner to corner. Do not mark the other end. You can jumble the peices up from that board any way you want and still put them back togeather as they came out of the original board. If you want extra insurance start a pencil line from the center of the x to the edge of the board on one side only.To keep from mixing the peices from one set of strips with others go to the office supply store and get a roll of shirnkwrap and wrap each end of the set of strips and handle only one set at a time. Shrinkwrapping each end of a set of strips will also make them eaiser to handle.
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Bob. I think I will mark the board befor I cut it. That should work also, and would help if they got out of order while cutting.

beekeeper