bottom bows up, is this a problem? (pic) | SouthernPaddler.com

bottom bows up, is this a problem? (pic)

Scooter

Will this make my peerow unstable?

It's only on one end, between the middle and outter ribs (UJ kit). Less than a half inch drop.

Will probably add a skeg on the outside and some runners on the inside to help eliminate the bow, just because it gets on my nerves. If you guys think it'll add to instability, all the more reason to do something about it.
bottombow.JPG

A

Anonymous

bottom

By the time you add a bit of weight it won't be a problem.

Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :p

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
My opionion is worth probably less than baldies, but I wouldn't worry too much about it now mate. Probably wont even be able to tell the difference. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Do you know what caused it? If so, you have learnt a valuable lesson and Your Next boat will be much better. :D

Scooter

What happened was, I started out with plywood that was sorta wavy...bottom of the pallet stuff. Thing is, I've never seen 1/4 inch discount store ply that was totally flat. And since it's my first boat, a cheap ole pirogue, I didn't wanna order okume or anything expensive.

So yep, ya learn.

Was hoping it would get flat through the bracing of one piece against another during building. The pic might make it look worse than it really is. I'll probably add a skeg.

Scooter

Got it braced. Took the bend right out. :D

Didn't care for the idea of using an interior brace, but should look ok as a boundary for runners to brace the floor when stepping into the boat (is there a nautical term for those?). They'll also keep the arse dry when sitting on the floor. :lol:

flatter.JPG

brace.JPG

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Scoot,

I would call it a dry arse rail :lol: Sound nautilal enough?

I know, - what about, a bottom thwarte? :lol:

Nup? How bout - A foot brace for when you are putting in the big strokes?

Mate, seriously, whatever you call it, It has achieved the desired result and looks the good too.
Bloody good job. Well done. :D :D