Bourbon Balls... | SouthernPaddler.com

Bourbon Balls...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Gett'n ready for our Christmas Eve gathering and making the grocery list.
This is one recipe I make every year, sometimes two or three times they go over so well. Thought some of you might enjoy it as well. Hey! It's got bourbon in it!

Bourbon Balls
For the meatballs
1.5 pounds of lean gorund beef.(it's OK to use a little sausage too, opt.)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tablespoons of chili sauce
1/4 cup of fine chopped onion
1 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch or two of salt

Sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce(or more)
12 ounce jar of apricot OR pineapple OR peach preserves.
1/3 cup of chili sauce
1/4 cup of bourbon

While heating oven to 400 degrees, mix all meatball ingredients. Make about 1 1/4 inch meatballs. Place on baking pan and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes(or until thoroughly cooked.

While the meatballs are cooking, place all sauce ingredients in a pot. Stir well and cook over low heat until it's bubbly. Stir while cooking.

Place the cooked meatballs in the sauce mixture and coat. Stir gently.

Now enjoy with the balance of the bourbon you didn't use in the recipe!
fest20.gif

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
. That does it, the straw that broke the camels back, no more, this is it, you are in some deep chit, we will never forget or forgive, you have stepped in it this time, no redemption, You have cut your own throat for the next camping trip.

We always have plenty of bourbon with us and all you make are those tasty Italian meatballs with that delicious sauce but have never, ever, made these for us.

OK... I have calmed down and can see your reasoning for that .... As I said we always have plenty of bourbon and when it is in the glass keeping the ice company it is not needed in the meal ........ WRONG, don't believe a word of it, I am just trying to make you feel better.......

Never said I was smart, just nice. :roll:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
. We always have plenty of bourbon with us Chuck.

Well dadgummit Chuck......Ya do make me feel bad. :cry: And I would love to make these for you and the fellas.........But Gee Whiz.......Ya know how you get when someone reaches for your bourbon bottle.
trink22.gif
:lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
oldsparkey said:
. We always have plenty of bourbon with us Chuck.

But Gee Whiz.......Ya know how you get when someone reaches for your bourbon bottle.
trink22.gif
:lol: :lol:

Which one, the private stash and good stuff or the one I put out on the table for everyone to enjoy.

Next time I will bring some 40 year old Scotch and no one in there right mind would ever think of drinking that epoxy remover....... Not even me. Especially if we don't have any Canada Dry Soda as a mixer with us.
trink02.gif

Grapefruit juice might work in place of the soda. :lol:

Chuck.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
oldyaker said:
Sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce(or more)
12 ounce jar of apricot OR pineapple OR peach preserves.
1/3 cup of chili sauce
1/4 cup of bourbon

....I owned a Bar. Had a Catering recipe simular to this, we used for HappyHours (we used the cheap frozen 5lb bags of meatballs). Only difference was substituting the Apricot, pineapple or peach,......and use (get this) Grape :shock: (sounds terrible I know) it is awesome. :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I meant ta tell ya. Tell them Heinz folks that if you use 6 parts Heinz Chili Sauce 'n 1 part horseradish, ya git some fine chili sauce. What do ya figger they want us ta do with "chili sauce"? Nobody puts it in chili. Fish sticks 'n french fries go good with my mixture.....near bout az good az sprinklin' Zatarains on 'em.

Iz it cold up yer way? It wuz so hot here we had ta run the sweet air in my pickup when I took Miz Bear out ta do some shootin' this afternoon. Later we dropped in on my Mom. When we got home I made some big daddy dip dog funky monkey chili. It wont be "rite" til tomorrow, but Miz Bear already ate some 'n sez I outdone myself.
934.gif

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

My husband and I divorced over religious differences...he thought he was God, and I didn't. unknown

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Friend oldyaker,
I meant ta tell ya. Tell them Heinz folks that if you use 6 parts Heinz Chili Sauce 'n 1 part horseradish, ya git some fine chili sauce.
regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

That would be called Seafood Cocktail Sauce. I like about 2 tablespoons of chili sauce in a quart jar of horseradish, maybe a shake of habenero........Ya know.....I like to kick it up a notch. :roll:

Warm here too br'r bear. Took about a 3 mile walk in the woods today and only wore a light jacket and my Southern paddler ball cap........oh, and pants, and shoes, shoes too. I wear a little more than Chuck when out in the bush. :wink: Was up in the low 60's with sunshine. Might get up to 66 tomorrow.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well br'r bear....In some parts of the world, chili sauce is used just like ketchup. Burgers, Dogs, Fries, Etc. It's popular in Canada, where I learned to sprinkle fries with malt vinegar. Canadians use chili sauce in recipes. As you brought up chili sauce and horseradish makes seafood cocktail sauce. In the UK I learned to sprinkle fried fish with malt vinegar.The daughter uses it all the time instead of ketchup.
In Taiwan, it is very common to dip potato chips in ketchup. In Sweden, I learned it's common to pour ketchup over pasta. Made this Dago cringe at that sight! :shock: In China, ketchup is used on fried chicken. Eastern Europeans put ketchup on pizza. Many Asians use ketchup on shrimp and stir fry. Spanish use ketchup on most egg dishes. In Canada, the ketchup blend is different, they like it sweeter. Same thing in other parts of the world.

So, it's all a matter of taste, different strokes for different folks. Guess that's why we have so many different flavors of ice cream. :?

Don't even ask if it's spelled ketchup or catsup! Most folks can pronounce, but spelling is a bit different. It's a long story, but it involves the Chinese. :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm thinking of ground turkey for he meatballs. It's such a mild meat, and soaks up spice like a sponge. Takes a jolt of spice to get the flavor up to where beef starts out. So - I just ad more garlic and onions to start out. Horseradish will do it well too.

I have some home made strawberry jam, think that might work?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I put ketchup on most ever thing. I put Zatarains on more. My Dad raized horseradish. I like the real stuff...not the stuff ya buy at the grocery. I love malt vinegar too. Vinegar turns red beans 'n rice inta fine vittles.

I dont see what I would add Chili Sauce ta, but some folks dont care fer hot'n spicy. I dip tater chips inta ketchup. I dip fried chicken in it....sometimes. I always dip pizza 'n shrimp in it (when it iz mixed with some horseradish).

I figger it jest aint American if ya dont dip it in ketchup.

regards
bearridge

ps I dont dip my sushi in ketchup.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Br'r bear, Most folks think ketchup is an American Invention, and it was made with 'maters. Neither is true. It was invented by the Chinese something like 300 years ago, and it was made from spiced fish. :( They called it "kechap". The Brit Sailors brought it home and started making it from 'maters. The Brits started calling it ketchup. The colonists brought it to America. The rest is history.

I haven't had grade A horseradish since the farm was sold. I remember digg'n it up for Granny. We have a local brand that's pretty good.

Jack, Paddl'n4Reds sez he used grape jelly on a similar recipe, so why not strawberry jam? Maybe you invented something new and good?

I never put ketchup on bait br'r bear. Reminds the fish of what the Chinese did to them making their "Kechap".
5.gif
649.gif
649.gif
650.gif
861.gif

I'm a little surprised ya dine on sushi br'r bear.........It's a bit pricey, Aye Laddie?
052.gif
Wouldn't haggis be alot more frugal.......

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
It was invented by the Chinese something like 300 years ago, and it was made from spiced fish.
Friend oldyaker,

Fer a high dollar grease monkey ya know a heap a stuff.
045.gif
They sell 9 rolls at Mister Sam Walton's Store fer $6. That iz a mitey frugal way ta eat raw fish wrapped in rice 'n seaweed.
050.gif
If I eat IV one evenin', then VII then next.....wait.....that iz IIII minus IV.....Swampy.....Swampy, ya out there on Mister Gore's web? Git out yer beads 'n cipher this one fer me. Swampy????

Reckon those 3 'er 4 in 1 aliens frum outerspace got him agin?
abduct.gif
I figger some of 'em likely cruze our galaxy jest lookin' fer a sharp dressed fella like Swampy. I reckon they have hiz pichur glued on the wall inside of their spaceship.
alien_greetings.gif

aye laddie
bearridge

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings. Ed Gardner

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
He'll never replace Betty Grable!
Not fer the normal folks like us.....well, some of us.....but if ya come frum a planet where they dont have no vowels....where instead of guys 'n gals, they have 3 'er more....all wrapped up in one.....thing?
Well, ya kin see how a thing like that mite take a shine ta Swampy?
278.gif

regards
bearridge
bodine college fer ET study

I went to a massage parlor. It was self service. Rodney Dangerfield