IM001553.jpg

this fish weighed 42

IM001550.jpg

Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock: :D

Holy Smoke Ron!. that is an amazing fish. Is it a cat?

Didja get him on a set line?

any good to eat?

Man, I just gotta get me one of them.

I was going to post a piccie of my little bass tonight but I don't think I'll bother now. :oops: :D

Bloody well done mate. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

With all that water, looks like a fella could do some good with a few hoop nets in the Brazos. Ever set any out?

regards
bearridge

ps Wuz that a yellow cat? I bet they feed a heap a folks off that one.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life.  Theodore Roosevelt

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
\ They are illegal here and I will have to admit i hate nets I have found two many of them floating full of dead fish
Ron
PS Yes that was a yellow we caught three that was the largest

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
tx river rat said:
I will have to admit i hate nets I have found two many of them floating full of dead fish
Dang....that aint no way ta fish. Ya gotta run 'em ever two 'er three days fer a heap a reasons.....jest dont make no sense ta leave 'em like that. Most of the folks round here who use 'em aim ta sell some of the fish....so they keep a close eye on their nets.

The nets aint cheap, even used. Pullin' dead fish outta a hoop net iz a sho nuff dirty job....a dirty, nasty job. In the summer we would get a dead gar ever now 'n then. Me'n Lance commenced ta cussin' over who iz crawlin' up inside the net ta git 'em out. Over time we jest cut the net 'n try ta pull 'em out....then repair the net.

The Mississippi iz a mitey big river with a heap a fish....'n now some gators. Nets mite not be legal on the smaller rivers. I dont know anybody who uses nets on the small rivers. Most of the hard livin' catfishermen on those rivers noddle fer 'em 'er use jugs.

regards
bearridge

All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down. William Munny

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Ron that is a good one. The biggest one of em ive caught was 44 #,s.
Mick some other names people call them are flathead,shoehead, alpos . They get really big in some of the bigger rivers like the missip & on the man made lakes.Here on the altamaha we have had some come in around 80 & 90 #,s.

They do make alot of steaks & go good with gritzs . :wink: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang Cat,

90 pounds iz a mitey big yellow cat. The biggest in our 300+ pound catch wuz a 75 pounder. It took two big boys ta hold it up fer the newspaper fella. However, 6-8 months after we pulled in that net, a fella (Carroll Pearson) who wuz reared in the country jest down the road frum me set a blue cat record. It wuz a 93 pounder.
http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/aaron/82/page5.html

A little 42 pounder will feed quite a few folks. :wink:

regards
bearridge

In the beginners' mind there are many possibilities; in the experts' mind there are few.  Shunryu Suzuki

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Bear yea the county I live in has two state records . Those are some big blues. Did the guy catch him in a net or on a line. I hardly ever fish for the flats. I had rather catch a blue 10 to 1 . They are a better fighter . The biggest blue that I had a weight on was 23#,s. I did catch one @ a different time but did not weight him. Just from remembering & looking back I believe he would have went around 35 or 40 #,s.

The 23# one I caught him 23 years ago. I haven,t beat my record yet. I just love to catch one on a limb line. It,s like paddling , something different about it. :wink: :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend cat,

If I am readin' the list rite, Carroll wuz usin' a 60 pound line. I seem ta recall that cuz we still claimed the hoop net record on yellow cat......they dont keep hoop net records. :wink: [I figger somebody caught one bigger, but without lyin' where iz the fun in fishin'?] :mrgreen:

We figger the yellow cat iz the best eatin' cuz all the rest of the catfish eat anythin'. Yellow cat dont eat nuthin' that aint alive. The meat iz white.

Some folks fish with PVC pipe....sealed with some string, hook 'n bait. They drop 'em in the river 'n float downstream watchin' fer a hit. I reckon a cold drink jest goes with that kinda fishin'. :roll:

regards
bearridge

ps Ya'll cook the blue ('er any other catfish) any way besides fryin'?

Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms. Aristotle

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Lance called bout 4 pm. Him 'n some of hiz boys 'n Burch went down ta the Pearl River north of Jackson. Seems they won a spot in the gator lottery. They showed up in our work boat. Sez he felt like the high dollar boat fellas with a big roll bar fulla spotlites 'n such wuz laughin' at the rednecks.

An ole game 'n fish law tole 'em ta hold back 'n let the others skeedaddle.....he figgered there wuz a big ole gator jest across frum where they put in....bout 300-400 yards. They waited 'n got their lites turnt on. Sho nuff, it took Jeff bout 15 minutes ta spot a big gator tryin' ta cross the water. [I seen Jeff shoot a cottonmouth in the eye with a .22 whilst standin' in the workboat crossin' the Big Muddy when that cottonmouth come up on a swell made by a big upriver tow. Jeff haz a keen eye.]

Jeff threw the 100 pound line 'n hooked that gator. They rassled a while, til Greg hooked him too. The gator went ta the bottom. By 'n by he come up 'n Lance put the wire noose on hiz neck, but he had ta turn it over ta one of the young fellas. By 'n by Lance shot that gator in the head.

They didnt know how ta hunt gators. The game law wuz everwhere....tellin' how ta do this 'n how ta do that. When they come out with a 12' 250 pound gator, this woman come up 'n sez "I wish ya'll would come back ever week 'n clean them gators out". I reckon the gators been eatin' poodles. Lance sez the woman wuz worried bout the little pardners.

I knew the gators been comin' north.....like folks frum Florida. :wink: However, I didnt know how thick they had got north of Jackson. Lance sez the fellas in the boat behind them come in with a 14 footer which went over 400 pounds.

Next thing ya know gators will be in Memphis....then St. Louie...then Michigan. Reckon they got a cravin' fer muslims? :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Lance sez they wuz dressin' that gator. I tole him ta bring me some smoked gator, some gator jerky 'n some fried gator. I caint tell ya what he sez.....little pardners mite be readin'. :D

Of a Jamaica gentleman, then lately dead -- 'He will not, whither he is now gone (said Johnson), find much difference, I believe, either in the climate or the company.' Dr. Samuel Johnson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear...

If'n you can get some of the nuggets ( cut them up about the size of the end of ya thumb) . Flour , salt an pepper the flour them up and deep fat fry them. They are just as good cold as they are hot.

Most of the time the meat in the legs are made into the nuggets , the smaller mussels the lizard has to use , now some from the back strap ain't half bad either. :roll:

Actually just about everything is good , I like the jaw mussel but that is something no one will hand out , got to get ya own if you want that since no one wants to share them. :evil: Actually , I can't blame them since ..........:oops:

Now if you can get your hands on some Snapping Turtle and do the same , "O" Boy what good eating.

I had the pleasure to be a Cracker cook out a while back ( a few years ago) on a river bank with Gator and Snapper , Swamp Cabbage and some trimmings of Fritters , Hush Puppies , Corn on the cob , onions and grits , what good eats. Don't worry , it was all legal.

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Bear I like catfish fried,grilled & espceially in a stew (milk,taturs,onoins,salt,pepper,little hot sauce.

Bear lance probally told you to get your own . :wink: :lol:

Well I sorta been quite on the last topic. I see I ain,t the only one that likes lizards. :wink: :) Chuck you folks down your way & my way are blessed with them jokers.

The dnr are going to have to up the permits on these suckers around here. Don,t know if you guys heard about it or where it was but a swimmer or a boy in a boat this weekend was attacked by one. I hear they got the gatur & he had the guys arm & they were trying to reattch it.

P.S them lizards go pretty good in a stew to Chuck & Bear