Broke my boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Broke my boat

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yesterday I went for a trip on the river ,I have been down with the crud so it has been about two weeks since I had paddled.
Paddled down about six miles was a beautiful day and started paddling back. I hit a section of rock that was so shallow the boat would float if I was out of it.. As I got out there was moss covering the rocks I slipped
215 lbs falling has a lot of momentam caught myself with my left hand
on the top of the combing That 1/8 ply just wouldn't hold it heard a loud crack and my hand kept going till it hit the bottom of the boat
The damage wasn't to bad I had shattered the 3 inch wide strip that the combing was attached to . I was p#@#@#@ paddled it on in.
Oh well I know someone that can fix it just glad it didn't happen on my trip.
The combing area will be reinforced with 4 mm
Ron

Gringo Salado

Jan 13, 2008
Angleton, Texas
Ron,
Sorry to hear about your boat but I'm with the others, better it than your hand. :)
Been doin' anymore plannin' on your Brazos adventure? Sounds too cool. I'd love to come paddle/fish/camp with you and strider sometime if ya'll got room and don't mind the company.

Might have to get ya' some old golf shoes for walking on that slick moss! :wink: :lol:

Gringo Salado

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
That was my left hand saving my right to keep you in line here in Tx. :lol:

Gringo
You are welcome anytime ,in fact part of my trip will be close to you on the way to the coast, Strider ( friend from another forum) want be going on any of the trip he is mainly a fisherman and paddles mainly the section below the falls, he paddles to fish.
If we are setting one up Ill pm you
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
I am sorry but I have already removed the combing and started fixing the boat. so no pics. Let me see if I can draw you a picture in words
I have a bulkhead right behind my cockpit 2 inches behind the back of the combing and the deck is 3 inches wide from the top of the tumblehome
to the combing . my impact point was right at the back corner it cracked the ply n front of the bulkhead and when that broke the combing went down and shatter the piece between the tumblehome and combing for about a foot.
You have to understand the boat was sitting on the bottom on solid rock (no give there) as my feet went out from under me it wasn't a stumble it was just boom 215 lbs falling then I shoved my hand down hard and fast to break my fall just like throwing a punch and it all impacked at a point two inches from a very riged point where the bulk head was attached.
I would imagine that the force was equal to a 500 lb man jumping on the boat with it resting solid on something.
This was no way a design flaw this was just a lot of sh@# falling on a pinned down object

Ron

Gringo Salado

Jan 13, 2008
Angleton, Texas
Highly technical terms

This was no way a design flaw this was just a lot of sh@# falling on a pinned down object
Highly technical terms, mainly used by engineers and the like. :lol:
Or welders, commercial fisherman, machinists, and other good ol' boys with real world experience. Love it.
I know another that I love to use all the time when something gives it up but I don't think we'll post it up bein' a family place an all.

Ron-
I lurk on the other forum from time to time also. I only live about 10 +/-miles from the Mouth of the Brazos River (MOB). Just let me know, I'm always up for a road trip. I must admit though, not near as often as I used to having to pay @ $3 per gallon for fuel. :roll:

Gringo Salado

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Gringo
I know right where you are at, when I was a kid we lived at Jones Creek then moved to Freeport within two blocks of the bridge going over the Brazos to Valasco(first capitol of Texas) so I am familiar with Angelton..
We will get together
Ron