Broken Group and Gulf Islands | SouthernPaddler.com

Broken Group and Gulf Islands

Boomhauer

Jul 20, 2006
Victoria BC
Some friends and I recently returned from two back to back four day trips. 8)
We had a blast :p Here are a few pics.

Hand Island
big060181.jpg

Drew and Jon
big060191.jpg

My yak on Hand
big060151.jpg

Snorkeling off Willis Island (Batstar)
big060441.jpg

Im a weenie
big060671.jpg

Dave and Jo near the Tiny Group
big060871.jpg

Approaching Decourcey Island. Interesting history
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTA0001036
Dcorcey061201.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Note where that boat is in relation to the markers :shock:
Dcorcey060151.jpg

Camp in the trees 8)
Dcorcey060011.jpg

Dcorcey060851.jpg

Dcorcey060871.jpg

Dcorcey060221.jpg

Dcorcey061021.jpg

OK maybe a bit more then a few pics :oops:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Broom

Looking at the pictures I noticed you are paddling a Pygmy Arctic Tern ( I think). I have the Coho and after an hour in it my legs start to go numb so they match the rest of my body or so folks tell me. :roll:

When that hour is up I have to get out and move around then I am good for another hour. I am using the inflated seat pad they furnish with there kayaks and I would like to know what your secret is to an extended paddle is without having to take a stretch break.

The reason I am asking is I will be doing a day long salt water paddle where there is no possibility of stretching, much less finding some dry ground for it, a straight 12 mile paddle before dry ground and I would like to use the kayak for that paddling trip. Mainley because of the distance I need to go and it is a lot quicker in a kayak then with a canoe or pirogue.
I call the Coho my speed boat. :D

I was thinking of replacing the cushion with a Crazy Creek Camping chair and leaving there backrest in the boat for additional support. :D or using the chair on top of that Therm-a-Rest cushion.

By the way I never tried blowing a tune on a beer bottle like you guy's are doing in that one picture , down here we use conk shells after we fry and eat the conks. :lol:

Chuck.

Boomhauer

Jul 20, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup I use the pygmy seat as well. I have to stretch my legs after about two hours.. I plan on making a new seat soon. My other boat is a CD Sirocco, I can go three hours in it. So maybe its me and not the boats???

As for the beer. it technically wasn't beer. It was Budweiser :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Boomhauer said:
As for the beer. it technically wasn't beer. It was Budweiser :lol:

Darn that is what I am enjoying right now. :oops:

I will have to try the crazy creek camping chair and see how it works. I was thinking with the adjustments it has I can increase the rise or pressure in the area under the thighs without using water bottles. If that does not work then I can use some Jim Beam Bottles, full naturally, empty at the end of the trip. :lol: :lol: :lol: If you guy's are notified of a kayaker paddling in not so good or great circles that will be me. :oops:

Just joking, I never allow anything but water for a person to drink when paddling, the good times comes later in camp when everything is put up and while we are burning the soup. Burnt soup is quite good , it is a rare culinary art to accomplish that , takes a lot of years of pratice :p

Push comes to shove then I will modify the seat I made for the pirogue to fit in the kayak , I can paddle all day in it and still have feeling in my legs.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Wilbur said:
the Hennessy Hammocks rock!
:mrgreen:

Mister High Sheriff,

I see yer havin' a near beer. Aint it great that ole retired geezers still git sassy on Friday afternoon. :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

For four-fifths of our history, our planet was populated by pond scum. J. W. Schopf

Boomhauer

Jul 20, 2006
Victoria BC
A LOT of power boaters from the Canada and the states go to this marine park. We met a nice family while there. Anyway we showed them our camp and had about ten kids running around, climbing in the hammocks, going into our dry bags, playing with our cameras. etc.... I guess the dad felt bad, so he gave us eight beers 8) two of them were Budweiser LIGHT! :twisted: Free beer is free beer I guess....

Wifey was cute too :D :oops:

Wilbur

Jul 21, 2006
North of the South Pacific
Yo Sparky - you could try making a custom seat out of minicell foam, it wouldn't add much height in your Coho and you can tailor it.....I've heard that the trick it to add a little hight in the front part of the seat.

Boomhauer is going to make one after he makes a custom mold of his backside.......I don't want to be around for that :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck,

I had the same problem in my Coho. Then, I got the thigh braces that Pygmy sells. This put my knees a few inches close together than they had been before; and so my legs weren't spread so far apart. No more numb legs or numb butt.

You might try this approach before you redo the seat. You may be attacking the wrong part of the problem?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friends Boomhauer 'n Wilbur,

That looks sooooooooooooo cool. We had a blast frum the tundra Monday. Dropped ta 93 with a breeze. Today it is 109. 110 tomorrow...heat index. I know how summer dont last long up yer way, but it hangs round here fer quite a spell.

Last year winter wuz the last weekend in January. :cry:

thanks fer the pichurs
bearridge

Gus: Pretty aint they?
Pea: Well I reckon.
Gus: Let’s chase ‘em........ya want to?
Pea: Shoot us one fer our supper?
Gus: Naw I mean chase ‘em jest for the sport
Pea: Ta run ‘em off?
Gus: Naw ya don’t git the point do ya Pea. I mean ta chase ‘em because before long there won’t be any buffalo left ta chase.
Pea: Them bulls’ll hook ya. You remember ole man Barlow. That buffalo hooked him bad
Gus: Ole man Barlow was a slow thinker..............kinda like somebody else I could name.
Pea: Well he was a slow walker too when that buffalo got through with him. Wonder whatever happened to him?
Gus: He married a fat widow over on the Blanco river and had a passle of kids. Now you might as well have done the same thing yourself since you don’t want to chase buffalo.
Pea: Well I don’t belive I’d want ta chase buffalo even if I was married.
Gus: Did I even mention it.
Pea: Well I like being a bachelor Gus.
Gus: Well that’s good Pea because I’m sure it’s all part of God’s plan.......that you are one.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck,

I had the same problem in my Coho. Then, I got the thigh braces that Pygmy sells. This put my knees a few inches close together than they had been before; and so my legs weren't spread so far apart. No more numb legs or numb butt.

Jack and Guy's

Thanks for the info .... I will try it and if it helps me on the water then I will be a happy paddler. I was thinking about getting a solar power vibrating butt pad (if there is such a thing) so after an hour of paddling I am not wiggling around like a worm in a hot skillet.

Chuck

Boomhauer

Jul 20, 2006
Victoria BC
kc4zvw said:
What's the photo and electronics gear that you are toting?

We bring lots of electronic gadgets with us...
But in that pic
Mp3 player and speakers (on the tent pad)
In the foreground
Canon s1 Is in a waterproof housing
And Sony mini DV in a waterproof housing.

We charge everything with solar chargers while in camp.