Bubbles under fiberglass | SouthernPaddler.com

Bubbles under fiberglass

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I've been searching around and can't find any info on what to do if you have some bubbles under the fiberglass? Do you just leave it or do something to repair it? I don't have any that are bigger than a dime.

Thanks

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
You might be able to force some epoxy under there with a syringe. Maybe make two holes on opposite sides and force epoxy into one while the air can escape through the other. I actually did that on my pirogue in a couple of places.

JEM

If the cloth has no resin on it (no dry flaky feel to it) then try putting some more epoxy on it and maybe some clear packaging tape to hold that area down as it cures.

If has cured epoxy on it and it just lifted off the surface, you might have to just sand that section out and cut a small fiberglass patch of the same size and epoxy it in place. For such a small localized area, I don't think you need to overlap the new cloth onto the existing fiberglass. If you do remove the small patch that wouldn't behave, sand the surface where it lifted off from. You might have gotten a bit of grease or something on that surface.

But see if you can do what Jimmy said first before sanding that area out..

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm struggling with this whole epoxy business myself. Thankfully I only had a few small-ish bubbles. A couple of them, I just cut out the glass as they were smaller than a fingernail and built up with epoxy. I've got one that is narrow, but long along one stem. I'm thinking of cutting it out as well, and putting another layer of fiberglass for reinforcement.