Building a SMALL pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a SMALL pirogue

erichkopp

May 31, 2007
Coral Springs, Florida
I have very limited storage space (I live in a small condo) but would like to build a small pirogue to fish some local lakes and ponds. By small, I was thinking about something around 8 feet. Has anyone built anything around that size? I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't work, but I've never built a pirogue or any other kind of boat, so maybe there could be a problem that I'm overlooking. Thanks for your help. Your forum has given me hours of stuff to read through.

islandpiper

erich.....greetings.......keep in mind that the shorter they are the tippier they are. How about building a full length pirogue, building in two matching bulkheads in the center and cutting the boat in half, and making the ends nest. Phillip Bolger did this with his 26-ft folding schooner years ago, read his book.

Piper

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
erichkopp said:
I have very limited storage space (I live in a small condo)

how about one of these

ontheplane-273x273.jpg

I've always wanted to build one myself but have way to many other unfinished projects. Its at www.woodenwidget.com if you want more info.

islandpiper

Wimperdink, he wants a boat not a big dog dish........

Really, I think we should get him out of the condo and into a nice old house with trees in the yard, leaky plumbing, questionable electric service, a drafty workshop, etc. All lthe things we all like about our own places.

then, he could make shavings anytime he wanted, wipe out the paint brushes on the shed door, etc, just like the rest of us.

Guys in condos have plastic boats.

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend erich,

I typed my warnin', but held off cuz I dont build boats either. I wuz gwine ta tell ya 8' iz too small unless yer a dwarf. But I got ta worryin' that mebbe ya wuz a dwarf 'n mite take offense. I got nuthin' agin the little people. Sometimes when I drink a heap a tequila I see 'em.....dont look Irish ta me. :wink:

How bout a sit upon kayak? Matt haz plans....mebbe short enuff fer a condo.

regards
bearridge

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. Will Rogers

islandpiper

Bearridge: you see LITTLE PEOPLE??? When i drink too much everyone else seems a lot bigger when I look at them. Maybe you are seeing me!!

These little people you see, do they look Scottish?

Come to think of it I have seen some nasty stuff on the underside of a few bars so I must get smaller when I drink. I know I can play pipe tunes faster then, so it figures: smaller=shorther finters= play tunes faster.

Next time reach down and introduce yourself, ok?

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

Ya played bagpipes in a bar? Aye God Laddie, yer a brave soul.....less ya kin play "Sweet Home Alabama". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fer all ya tequila lovers.....buy a case 'er two tomorrow. The Mexicans started burnin' the agave plants a few weeks back so they kin plant corn.....fer the ethanol fraud. Jose Cuervo Especial will likely cost an eye, a nut 'n two fingers. [Dont none of ya little pardners try that stuff.....it mite make a big lizard eat yer scooter.]

regards
bearridge

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. Woody Allen

erichkopp

May 31, 2007
Coral Springs, Florida
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty light, but I'm around 125 or so, not so light as 100. I've got a high metabolism and couldn't gain weight if I tried. Hahah. I wonder if maybe I'm light enough to make it work though?

I have an inflatable rowboat that I got a while ago, but it's just not comfortable to fish out of. I sit so low in it, and the walls are so thick that I feel almost trapped. It's also a pain to row because the oar locks twist and move. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I could use a big cushion or something to sit up higher in it and maybe learn to paddle it using a j-stroke instead of rowing.

It's a pain to have no storage space. Life would be so much easier.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Erichkopp,

Welcome aboard mate. :D

Just to be a little different from the rest so far, I fished from an 8 foot long wave ski (we call em goat boats) for a while, years ago.

I reckon if you are prepared to sit very low, or even right on the bottom it is doable. I would be inclined to make the bottom at least 28 inches wide.

I think Matts idea of a square stern has merrit and will increase your boats load capacity.

Some of the plastic SOTS aren't much longer that 8 feet and they seem to be stable enough.

keith

what you call a pirogue may not be what I call a pirogue. a 8 foot pirogue will have about a 16 inch bottom. I make them for food or drinks, but if you can put your butt in it and you want some freeboard, you better be 90 - 100 pounds or less (grand children). now if your hung on the 8 foot, take a hard right and make a jon or skiff with a larger bottom. Later Keith

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend erich,

I went ta yer welcome thread, but it had already gone ta colon scopes, hemorroids 'n grits. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but piper iz rite. Ya gotta move. 8)

Here iz an 8' sit upon. http://shrinkster.com/pok

I have a few Ocean Kayak "Yahoos". They were the only whitewater sit upons Ocean Kayak ever made. They quit makin' those. I jest offered ta sell two fer $300 each ta a fellow on Craigs list. He wuz lookin' fer a reglar sit upon kayak, not a whitewater sit upon. Miz Bear iz on me ta git rid of some boats.

I paddled a Yahoo in the ocean, whitewater rivers in the Carolinas 'n on the Mississippi. I had a fine time on all of 'em. Here iz a pichur of two whitewater geezers in mine.

regards
bearridge

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history. Aldous Huxley
bearridge

JEM

And if you're going to the skiff route, you'll probably want to get a little bit of tumble home so it's not such a knuckle-buster to paddle or hard to reach the water. But that will make it more difficult to build.

What about building a small punt?

erichkopp

May 31, 2007
Coral Springs, Florida
Hmm.. I'll probably have to scrap the pirogue idea for a while. Maybe I can build a small row boat of some sort. Thanks for the help. I'd rather find out it isn't going to work before I actually get the wood and build it all only to find I have about .5" of freeboard.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
"Pirogue" was probably a poor choice of words in my behalf.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago in a yachting mag about a bloke out here who built a small 8' canoe using stitch and glue so that he could use it as a small tender to his micro cruising sailer.

From memory, it had three panels per side and was a bloody rough build.
The thing is, that it had nice lines for such a small canoe and the bloke seemed to be pretty happy with it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt has several boat designs which are smaller and what I call day paddlers ...... Might want to check with him since he is just sitting around and not doing anything..... YEP , RIGHT :roll:

Matt.... Count ... One blue Ocean , Two Blue Ocean , Three Blue ocean then when you get to 100 , start all over again and never think the thought of ... Kill Chuck...... Bad thoughts , really bad , but I can understand them.

Chuck.
PS... Boy I am in some deep chit now..... Where I feel comfortable. :lol:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Check out Atkins Mouseboat. It's a simple design that will support 300 pounds. I built one with a full deck. I will try to post a picture later this week..