Bumble Bee | SouthernPaddler.com

Bumble Bee

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
This boat building is a disease I think. Been a few days since i have made any sawdust so went to Lowes bought a few sheets of plywood.
I want to run a little test instead of building 2 Freedom 11 for my grand daughters I am going to build the little yak I started today A Freedom 11 and a laker. Boy I worked that in slick,should keep me in sawdust for a few days.
Glued a sheet and a half sheet together (for 12 ft boat) laid out and cut the sides
IM001576.jpg

Started laying out the bottom
IM001575.jpg

zip tied the ends and started putting on the bottom

IM001577.jpg

Bought a new belt sander today and that baby will make some sawdust
It is really a great help in shaping the sheets

IM001578.jpg

Ahgghhhhh smell that sawdust I think I am recovering on the way back to the dark side

More later
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I know about the belt sander but they are great shaping panels and rough finishing.
Well got a little more done.
Got the yak flipped over rocker set.
IM001579.jpg

got shear strips installed

IM001580.jpg

I fixed my little mess up I can't believe no one jumped on this

IM001581.jpg

I got the deck suports and bulked heads layed out but not cut
Enough for one day more tommorow.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I was too busy admiring your "spacing thwart" to pee & moan about a small chunk of plywood missing & patched in.

When I was gluing my inwhales and spacers into the canoe, I used a cut down yard stick bowed in to press against both sides of the boat and hold the inwhales up against the side.

A Spanish windlass is handy sometimes too. Tie a doubled rope across the two sides, or take two entire wraps around the boat. Then, wind up a stick in the rope to tighten ti up and draw in the sides. It should be just long enough so that if you pull it a bit off center with one end sticking out further than the other, it will hit the bottom of the boat to keep from unwinding. The latter is then like a large tourniquet.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I did not post any pics yesterday I had honey do's. Here they are.
Filet done and end pores.

IM001584.jpg

Got the deck cross braces in
IM001583.jpg

IM001582.jpg

inside glassed
IM001585.jpg

front deck filet ready for cloth
IM001586.jpg

Thats all for now Ill try to post what I get done today.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I took off a few days for the trip but I am back at it now.
Decks are on
IM001591.jpg

started fileting the decks to the hull

IM001589.jpg

IM001590.jpg

View from front

IM001592.jpg

I will start fitting the cockpit out next
Ron

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Rat,

I'm watching this thread because I have the "free plans" for the Laker, myself. I didn't download it to build one, I got it to study the build method. The one I do intend to build is still on Matt's drawing board.

But having that plan, and talking to Mick about such things, the Laker is starting to look pretty darned good to me. I will probably have to build it, sooner or later. If I do, I'll likely buy the full version of the plans.

If you don't mind my asking, is the one you are building from the free plans, or the $ version?

And while I'm confessing, I'm also wanting to build that Freedom 11. I'd like to have a "loaner" boat, maybe two, in order to get other unsuspecting, but vulnerable-types hooked on paddle fishing and boat building. :twisted:

When I read that you were building both a Laker and a Freedom 11, I saw an opportunity to LEARN! :lol:

By the way. looking great, so far! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mike
This boat in the thread is another Hot Air Boat plans boat.
It is another I designed out of my head . I will build the Laker next then the Freedom 11 . This boat is for my oldest grandaughter but I am realy liking it so far It will have a rectangular cockpit like my Freedom flat bottom like perow sealed bulk head behind the seat and open under deck to the front asymetrical 27 at bottom widest 31 top
23 +36 cockpit
11ft 8 in long
1inch rocker in front 2 in back
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Ron,

I just found this thread mate. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

I like the way you think. A decked pirogue brilliant. Man you build fast!

I been messing round with my Laker now for about 2 months or so and you just go and chuck a boat together in a couple of days. Great stuff.

If you don't mind my asking, Why do you prefer a square cockpit? also, Are you using polyester resin on this one?

As jack says, "inquiring minds want to know"

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I have had a lot less on my mind I hope the misses is on the mend.
The square cockpit has several reasons I like it and they are all about comfort. From my earlier life I am a little banged up , racing bikes, shot a couple times, riding bulls, If I had known I was going to live this long would have taken better care of my bod. Well needless to say some parts are a little slow and get stiff and sore fast, shut up Jack, the square are rectangular cockpit is easy in and out and like your perow you can move around in the boat change positions plus if you do turtle its easy to get back into .
I am still using the polyester resin I know it stinks and y'all don't like it
but it works for me . I have more control over how fast it goes off by just adding more hardener so wet cold rain or shine I can work with it
Ron
Ps I had a 30.000 dollar boat was what it was made off. lol

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Little ole boat is starting to come together.
All seams filleted and sanded

IM001601.jpg

IM001602.jpg

I decided to try something different on the combing
I took a piece of 1/4 by 3/4 and steamed and bent it for the combing stood it on edge. I like the looks of it.

IM001600.jpg

finished that and ran fillets around bottom before I started the top combing
IM001604.jpg

IM001603.jpg

Dang sanding is slow but tomorrow will start putting some finishing touches on her.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Little ole boat coming on together
I started doing a first for me painting a wood boat
Now Chuck take it easy
It was what my granddaughter wanted so it what she is getting
It really doesn't look half bad

IM001606.jpg

Still have the tape on the sides
IM001605.jpg

I got into the cock pit and tried it today I am 6 ft 215 lbs and it is the perfect size for me. the rest of the boats I build will be this size

IM001607.jpg

Well guess I better go put another coat of paint on her
Ron
Later