Bumblebee Albacore Tuna Steaks | SouthernPaddler.com

Bumblebee Albacore Tuna Steaks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I am working on what I want to eat on the trip and think I have it worked out.

Like you I enjoy tuna but I like it with garlic noodles, thanks to Mr.Lipton and his easy to cook pack.

Then there is my favorite, Turkey, Gravy and Stuffing (Stove Top) ... all in packs and really good when mixed together in to a hash. A one pot meal. The Turkey is in a can and a person could use chicken if so inclined.

Now with the backpacker .... http://www.adventurefoods.com/bake-packer.htm Hot fresh Cornbread to go with Bean Soup, Pancakes to have with some tea in the mornings with honey drizzled over the pancakes, a cup of Swampys coffee while they are cooking. Or even some of Jeans Omelets or Egg & Sausage Casseroles.

For supper the Cranberry Chicken with Walnuts or the Upside Down Sloppy Joe's she made for me with Sour Dough Biscuits on the top of them.

Have two menus .... One for the KOA's and one for camping.

Yep , camping is really roughing it as far as the eats go, if you goof up, I don't.

Now remember Jean at Adventure Foods offers a discount to all of the southernpaddler members ..... http://www.adventurefoods.com/

Chuck.

PlumbeRob

Mar 15, 2005
West Central Florida
Tuna vs. Salmon

Has anybody tried the Chicken of the sea, smoked pacific salmon steaks? They are about the same price as the tuna steaks and come in the foil pouch. I've also tried the small pouch of shrimp. They are good (not capitalized good, just good).
Does the bakepacker work? I backpack with my daughter and she loves fresh baked goods.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Plum, I have a Bakepacker and really enjoy it. I've made meals and cakes outside with it. Not all the hassle of sitting up a bunch of metal sides....

I like to buy the tuna in foil.... add some cream cheese and spred it on a floured tortilla ......

swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Swampy said:
I like to buy the tuna in foil.... add some cream cheese and spred it on a floured tortilla ......
Friend Swampy,

If ya git ta puttin' jelly beans in that, yer gwine ta have a baby. I know, I seen it a few times. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
shade tree medikle clinik

P.S. Howdy PlumbeRob!

When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
Goethe

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Tuna vs. Salmon

PlumbeRob said:
Has anybody tried the Chicken of the sea, smoked pacific salmon steaks? They are about the same price as the tuna steaks and come in the foil pouch. I've also tried the small pouch of shrimp. They are good (not capitalized good, just good).
Does the bakepacker work? I backpack with my daughter and she loves fresh baked goods.
PlumbeRob,

I didn't see the Chicken of the Sea smoked salmon - but I WILL next time. I did see the foil bags of shrimp, smoked oysters, and abalone. My thoughts are this.

I like rice for camping because it carries light, cooks easily, and goes with everything. I like brown rice with or without lentils, and as Chuck sez, put it in a Nalgene bottle with premeasured water in the morning, and let it roll around all day. At night, it cooks quickly. A foil pack of one of these vanities with the rice, seasoned with onions and garlic, would be JARVIS good eatin’ at the end of a day of stirring up the water with my boat.

The BakePacker works quite nicely. I have one and got one for my Son too. Now, I use a steamer basket like you use for steaming veggies; it spreads to fit a wider variety of cooking utensils. Look at the kitchen gadget shelf in the super market. One brand has no (or a removable) center post, and removable legs. Makes for flatter packing

BTW, when you cook up rice in the BakePacker or steamer basket, leave it in the bag, roll the bag shut, and it will keep nicely, even without refrigeration, for several days if there is no meat in it.

When you steam bake bread in it, diminish the amount of liquids for the recipe by about 15%-20%, unless the recipe was written to be steam baked.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Breads

Tex-Mex Cornbread
1 cup yellow corn meal 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt 2 Tbsp oil 1 tsp sugar 1 egg, beaten
1 ea 82 oz can cream style corn
1/2 cup milk (1/2 cup water + 3 Tbsp powdered milk ONLY 1/3 cup if steam baking}
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheese Small onion chopped
2-3 Tbsp jalapenos / peeled green chilies
8" SQR pan greased, 450F 20-30 minutes; or steam 35-40 minutes

Hardtack
6 cups flour, 1 cup water, 2 Tbsp. shortening, 1 tsp salt. Mix & knead, roll flat & score into cracker shapes. Prick with holes every 1â€Â

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Steam'n Rice...

Jack, It takes 2 1/4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice in a pot normally. So, you say decrease the water by 20%. How's this, put 1 3/4 cups of water in the bag with one cup 1 cup of rice. Is the cook time still 20 minutes?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yaker,

The prime variable here is the rice itself. The rice I've cooked always asked for water:rice ratio of 2:1; yours seems a bit different. And I usually steam my rice 25-30 minutes. It sometimes takes it a few minutes to rebuild the steam after the cover was removed to add the rice bag, and steaming is very forgiving of extra cooking time.

If you are cooking brown or wild rice, Chuckie's suggestion of soaking it all day in a Nalgene bottle is a good one. Pre-measure the rice & add some pre-measured amount of water. Doesn't have to be full amount of water here, can be only partial. That's why you pre-measure in the morning so you know how much more to add in the evening. Unsoaked wild rice or brown rice needs to cook about 40-45 minutes.

Let the bottle of water & rice roll around in the bottom of your boat all day, & it will cook more quickly in the evening. (HINT: cooks better if the bottle rolls around the bow than in the stern. Something about the magnetic properties of plywood & epoxy, I think. Ask Matt.)

I like to add veggies & some meat (canned chicken, jerky, WTH ever) to the rice before I steam it. The final concoction is called rice-gloppy. Make sure to have garlic in it (like YOU would forget that!)

Easiest way to dish up out of a hot, steaming bag of food is to carefully lift it out by its ears (top corners of the bag) and quickly set it on a plate. Unroll the bag a bit and spoon out. If you want to pour the food out, sit another plate on top of the bag which is sitting on a plate, hold both plates carefully by their rims, and invert the whole shebang. Lift off the (now) top plate, pull up on the bottom corners of the bag & unceremoniously dump the whole mess onto the remaining plate. The empty bag becomes the trash bag for the meal. No cooking pots to scrub.

DO NOT try to steam up soup or anything that is of a liquid nature. It will cook nicely - but - you then have a flimsy bag of boiling liquid on your hands. Handling nitro-glycerine might be preferable.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Jack! BTW, I got two of those tuna steaks, mesquite flavor and lemon pepper, glad you said they was good. I also got the smoked oysters, clams, and crab. Plan on eating well this trip. Noth'n beats a hot steam'n bowl of rice with some fish over top, glass of light, semi dry white wine. Maybe some Pinot Griggio....... :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Nalgene bottle trick with rice, black eyed peas, some celery and onion works quite well and at supper time do up a pie of cornbread then add some ham, real or canned to the rice mix ... heat and eat. That is living the Southern Comfort way.

By the way I have mine rolling around in the middle of the boat this way no one can say I am with the rear or front party's. (ya know a horses a## or a boss)

A filling meal , I will make on this trip , is a box of Stove Top Dressing , a pack of instant gravy and a can of turkey. Get the water hot for the stuffing , add in the gravey and just a little more water then cook the stuffing and when it is just about ready add the turkey , stir and eat.........A one pot meal that is quite good.......... ( Turkey , Stuffing Hash.) :D

Chuck.