Burrum River and Lenthalls Lake again. | SouthernPaddler.com

Burrum River and Lenthalls Lake again.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, just a few piccies from the last couple of days paddling. :D

Burrum Saltwater

IMG_1927Small.jpg

Lake Lenthalls on a cool and frosty morning.

IMG_1934Small.jpg

IMG_1945Small.jpg

IMG_1946Small.jpg

IMG_1950Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day and thanks guys,

Tyer, the rudder works a treat mate. It is ideal for sneaking up on fish and topwater fishing :D

Saw quite a lot of these fellers (barramundi) trying to get warm in the morning sun in shallow patches. Poor buggers are a tropical fish and this cold snap has really hurt them. I saw about 70 of them dead and floating on the surface and a whole bunch looking very sick just lying near the surface looking like they were sunning themselves. The biggest of them were around a metre long and probably about 40 pounds. They were that sluggish, I could tap them on the back with my paddle blade as I went past. I have never seen them like this before. Apparently Barra are dying in impoundments all over Queensland at the moment. this one was about 15 pounds and was about average for the ones I saw still alive.

IMG_1952Small.jpg

I bagged out on these fellers - Aussie Bass

IMG_1951Small.jpg

This one was about 3 pounds - all muscle and attitude and great fun on 6lb line. but the barra have completely shut down.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

The worst of the cold snap seems to be behind us. :D for naw anyway. The coollest it has been getting the last couple of days is around 40f early in the morning :D

The days are pretty clear and warm, (about 70 - 75f) It is just the nights and very early mornings that are cool. I think because we are not used to it, it seems to be much worse than it really is.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ticky,

Wild barra taken from the salt water are prized table fish. :D

These fellers that live in fresh lakes and dams (impoundments) were stocked there for sport fishermen. They get very weedy in the impoundments and I don't like them to eat at all. Some people eat them but I think they are far too valuable as a sport fish to only catch once and the much smaller bass are far better to eat.

We release about 15 thousand barra fingerlings into this dam each year. A lot of people volounteer a lot of their time and own money to get this done and it just breaks my heart to see so many of these magnificent sport fish just dying out there now.