BWCA Trip Report | SouthernPaddler.com

BWCA Trip Report

Birddog

Jun 17, 2005
MN.
www.catch-n.com
I just returned from a trip to the BWCA. We entered off the Sawbill trail at Baker lake. We were anticipating a very easy trip with short portages etc. But once we arrived we found that the water levels by our estimations were down by 1-2 feet. This made for a much more difficult trip. This made the length of the portages much longer. We were forced to exit the canoes and enter the water for the majority of the portages. because there was not an suitable land route. We would float the canoes with our gear inside and lift them over rocks. I will post some pictures of the portages etc. when I get them back. Once we made our way through the portages. We decided, that we would find a suitable location for a base camp. The first night we had about 8 hours of rain. The next morning we spent drying out our gear. I did manage to do some fishing and caught some eater size Walleyes. I found that the best approach was a hook up floater with just a couple split shot on the line at about 18" above the hook. This allowed me to be able to vary the speed of my presentation and even stop or pause without the worry or getting hung up, the hook up design is a big plus.

Birddog

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Birddog

When you get those pictures it would be nice if you could post them along with a description of the pleasures & troubles for everyone to see.

It just might make life easier for someone that is planning on doing the same area or at lease let them know what to expect when paddling that area.

Example..... Swampy wants to go up there with some of the guy's from southernpaddler and he is always looking for information on that area trying to plan the trip and we are on here to share information , plus to do a little bragging. :lol: :lol: :lol: OK .. A lot of bragging but you know how fishermen , paddlers & campers are so forget about those 80 pound walleye fillets for breakfast. :roll:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Birddog said:
The first night we had about 8 hours of rain. The next morning we spent drying out our gear.
Birddog
I didn't know Chuck was on that trip with ya? :roll:

Look'n forward to your photo report Birddog, sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Good!