1 cup green bell pepper, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth / for vegetarian use Water
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (optional) Cook and Serve

I skipped the bell pepper since I did not have any on hand and substituted the kernels cut off 4 ears of fresh corn.

Here is what I posted on her website about a month ago. ( Left overs are even better )
Fixed this yesterday for Supper , quite tasty and downright good. I did make a change but not a drastic one. I added the kernels of corn cut off 4 ears to the ingredients. Plus I used some Swanson's Vegetable broth as a additional liquid to the water I started it with. I let it cook for about 6 hours at a low simmer without a top on it. Had to keep adding liquid and the broth was the liquid. By the way , no internal gas problems which might be expected , actually a gas shortage . LOL LOL LOL

Her web site if you want to see how she does it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cabbage in soups is good - for several reasons. (1) Lots of vitamins. ;2) Lots of good flavors - it sweetens up soups. (3) Lots of good fiber. (4) Not very much cost.

I also dehydrate cabbage leaves to add to camp supper soups. JARVIS good eatin!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The soup is really sweet , not over sweet , just a good sweet.
The dehydrated Cabbage I sometimes use here but always when camping I get from Harmony House. It's freeze dried and retains all the flavor and crispness. It's a major player in the zip lock dried vegetable soups I make and take with me.

Vegetables aren't that choosy when either dried or freeze dried.
Fruits that are dried reconstitute like mushy leather and aren't crisp like they should be. Perfect example are Apples. The dried ones come back like the pieces of Apples you find in a baked Apple Pie. Frieze dried are like the ones you pick and eat.
Freeze dried fruits reconstitute like they originally were.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I like chewing on dehydrated apple slices. The best ones are the ones I sprinkle cinnamon onto before drying them.

And, yes, dehydrated aplles do go good in apple pies. My late wife would slice up apples fo a pie, add the spices, and freeze batches in large, Ziplock bags. Freezing breaks cell walls, so when thawed, there would be lots of juice. So much juice, in fact, that her pies often boiled over and made horrible messes in an oven. So when using frozen apples for pies, we first lined the bottom crust with a layer of dehydrated apples. They resoaked up the excess juices.