Cabo San Lucas | SouthernPaddler.com

Cabo San Lucas

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
S'ly Tip of Baja

For eight days, I was in Cabo, right on the S'ly tip end of Baja California. An old school chum had invited me along, and I let him drag me - albeit kicking and screaming - for a week. His son had rented a 3 bedroom house there. He has a cabin cruiser moored there too.

Now, limes there are tree ripened, not truck ripened. As the trees are producing mightily, and Sam's sell them inexpensively, we bought a lot of them. (Vitamin C ya know, no scurvey, and all that stuff.) There are many ways of consuming limes. The two we favored was in tonic water that had been diluted with gin or vodka, or on seafood. We're quite proud of our support to the local lime industry, and to a couple of faraway distilleries.

The boat, it turned out, had trouble with its #2 engine. So, we fished only one day. We caught a tuna, 35-40 pound estimated. That evening, we took half of the filets to a local restaurant, where they cooked most of it for us. The rest, I ate as sushimi. That was the best food! Some traditional Kikkoman soy sauce, and some unconventional (for Japanese, anyway) jallapeno. I scarfed down a lot of it.

We drove around and visited seveal isolated beaches, avoided exhorbitant places in favor of those thst were meerly very expensive, ate a lot of seafood, drank a lot of margaritas (one afternoon too many), cheered at a wet tee shirt contest (yes, the winner did pull off the tee shirt), consumed some limes, cussed the engine but thanked the mechanics who worked on it, consumed more limes, relaxed, read, consumed more limes, recalled some pranks from school days (we'd been together K-12, so had a lot of time and opportunity), took practice naps (time spent in practice naps does not count off your lifetime), and had more limes.

On the day we fished, dolphins were there off and on for an hour or more. THAT - was a definite highlight of the trip for us olde fartes from the Great Lakes state. Like watching a herd of white tailed deer or elk move through and around. Aye god - they are beautiful animals!

Yesterday, I returned to the states. As it turns out, I'm not well adapted to life in Mexico, and it isn't particularly well adapted to me. In sum, I've enjoyed about all of Mexico I can stand. A land full of subservient sheep, preyed upon by a few wolves. Next time I exercize my passport, it will be in Canada, thank you very much.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
It's neat that you had such a great time. Mexico has a lot of interesting things to see and do but I will never set foot in Mexico. Like you I would not mind going to Canada. Besides that they have Chupacabras in Mexico.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You have to have a lot of margaritas :lol: :roll: to see one but here is a drawing of what they are suppose to be like.

220px-Chupacabras.JPG

Chupacabras can be literally translated as "goat-sucker", from chupar ("to suck") and cabra ("goat"). It is known as both chupacabras and chupacabra throughout the Americas