Camp coffee | SouthernPaddler.com

Camp coffee

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I was looking through my camping gear and spotted the coffeepot. It's not huge, but it takes up a lot of space just to make coffee. I had an idea. :roll: Jack said something about a cloth bag to put the coffee in to steep in the hot water. I have a bunch of extra large sized coffee filters they were throwing out at work and tried something. Put my billy to boil and spooned a bit of coffee into the large filter, twisted it up, clamped a clothes pin on the twisted up tail and plopped it in the water. 5 minutes and a few swishes later- a perfect pot of coffee. One less thing to pack. :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm glad to hear that worked well for you, Joey. It seemed intuitively appealing, and I hoped it would work. Kinda like the same idea as a tea bag.

I dated a gal once who was best described as a coffee bag. But, that's another story best left for another camp fire.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
I have a perc, but I'm about as happy dumping the grounds in the hot water and straining through my teeth or waiting until they've all sunk.

Jbo

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
jboc said:
... but I'm about as happy dumping the grounds in the hot water and straining through my teeth or waiting until they've all sunk.
See, that's where the (clean) sock technique comes into play. It saves the strainer action. Patent Pending

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I see you have never had Swampies Coffee , "What clean sock"????
Swampies Coffee pot is blacker then the ace of spades on the outside and the inside , that coffee pot is used for cooking just about everything , even spaghetti. It is also a handy dandy fire putter outer. :roll: I do have to admit he does make some good coffee.
Better then the stuff Van did on one trip , he keep reusing the grounds ( Like swampies , no filters or anything) and adding a pinch of them as the trip went on , he was running low on the grounds for the brew. That stuff you poured it in your cup and sliced it with a very sharp knife when you had all you wanted. On the last morning even a spoon would not penetrate it so the rest had to drink it straight with nothing added to it.
One exception.... If you Added some bourbon to it the bourbon just sat on the top of it trying to clime out of the cup. The best part is those weren't fly specks in the bottom of the cup.

Different trip , different time........
I have to admit , besides the Frito Pies Ron did on the Brazos , the next best thing was that coffee at a shade past 5A.M. after the storm that leveled everything , drenched all of us and just made a general mess all around. Ron did up a pot of coffee and that hot coffee with some Early Times in it sure hit the spot and took some of the chill off a body while sitting there dripping water in a already flooded ( Rons) tent. ( The only one still standing that the wind was still trying to make it level or blow it away which would of been something since it was flooded with a ton of water keeping it in one place.) :D

Ron ... Again .. Thanks for sharing that Hot Coffee and the warm tent that morning as a place to warm up between checking things out , I was about ready to become a icicle as we waited for daylight.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
You can also use panty hose. I prefer new. Cut the legs off and each leg will make three or so bags. Measure your coffee. Tie off the ends and store them in a zip top bag while you travel.

I use that method more for beer making, but it would work fine for coffee too.

Jbo

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Have any of you tried using a coffee pot called a french press? You dump the coffee grounds and hot water in and after a 5 minute steep you press the plunger down and a metal mesh screen separates the grounds from the water. I know space is everything when you're camping so not sure if this would be adequate to any of y'alls needs.

french-press.jpg

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
I have one very similar to that, made from Lexan, but I also use the Robert Timms coffee bags.
In Australia we call it a coffee plunger. I stuff mine with a minimalist 1st aid kit so that it doesnt take up much more room when backpacking.

Cheers Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You have me on that one , No Explanation. I just clicked on it ( Tried it again) and they popped right up. It might be my computer since it is use to going to Campmor or Cabelas all the time. :lol:

They do have the new site rigged so a person can't copy ( get the properties) and post any pictures of there items. :twisted:

Chuck.