Campfire Chatter Footwear | SouthernPaddler.com

Campfire Chatter Footwear

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
What's your favorite footwear for paddle camping?
When it's hot, cold and of course it will be wet.
Prefered sock for the footwear?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
What's your favorite footwear for paddle camping?
When it's hot, cold and of course it will be wet.
Prefered sock for the footwear?

My preferred foot wear are the deck shoes from K Mart ( Anchor Bay ) , the black canvas ones with a rubber sole. They are expensive , about $8.00 a pair. Heck I wear then everywhere. In fact what I have been told they are my trade mark , you see them , you see me.
They would make you think of the ones that a Oriental person wears and in fact could be the same thing.

If it is really wet then it is a pair of the L.L.Bear Canoe Moc's , the rubber bottoms with the leather tops. For really wet times it is a pair of the Quicklace Mikluks by Chota.
When I have either of the last two on you will find a pair of the Anchor Bay ones close by , under the rigging on the deck of my kayak or placed in the canoe or pirogue near me.

Heck ... That was how they knew I wiped out on the Buffalo River , they saw the shoes floating down stream past them. Then they were sure when they grabbed the shoes and I was not attached to them. I had the L.L.Bean Canoe Moc's on , it was raining.

The preferred socks are any of the white athelitec ones I have without holes in them if I'm with someone else. Now paddling solo , who cares , holes are great. :lol:

Not sure what folks wear when it gets cold since we don't have that problem.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
For mild weather....Water shoes, look like sneakers but made from mesh nylon.

Cooler weather it's Chota Mukluks.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I divide my foot wear by "wet work" and "dry work". Wet work is Chota Mukluks; I have the cheapest models because they will pull out of a kayak easier than the more ornate ones with heels, soles, etc. For only canoeing and not kayaking, I'd use the quick lace Chotas.

For dry work I wear a light weight hiking boot.

My socks are Campmor item# 01095, Wigwam Gobi Polypropylene Liner Socks @ $4.99. I wear these 24/7. If you want more bulk over them, wool.

Another good wicking sock for hiking is the Wright Sock; it's double layer and fast wick drying.

Seegars are White Owl.

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
For cold/wet work or unpinning boats, the NRS Workboot wetboot (pure h*ll to get out of). None the less, provides a lot of traction on nearly any surface except algie or silt covered rock.

For mild weather, anything from wal mart that dosen't exceed the price of a bag or two of beef jerky....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Deerslayer, what part of the country you in there? And, can you tell us more about these work boots?

Careful there Deerslayer .. Jack is just trying to find out where you are , best to keep it a secret or he might be knocking on your door , he is sort of sly that way ....Ya Know.
Best to say you are in the part of SW Virginia that is attached to British Columbia to protect your supply of chow , especially the grits. :wink:

Chuck.