Campfire topic Oldyaker asks How's your boat rigged to fish? | SouthernPaddler.com

Campfire topic Oldyaker asks How's your boat rigged to fish?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
What equipment do you have on your boat? Such as rod holders or electronics.
Do you troll, drift or is the boat exited to cast?
Sit, stand, or exit and wade?
Type of fish your after?
How do you control the boat when fighting the big one?
Anchors, spuds, drags or drift socks?
Propulsion as in paddles, poling, motor?
Big fish stories are welcome.
Anything I forgot please add to the topic.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
What's up Oz? I am getting back into fishing a little more since I built the pirogue. First thing I found out is you almost have to have an anchor to position the boat where you want. I tried one trip just dropping it over the side from the paddler's seat. It held it in place but the boat swings back and forth. Today, I played around with an anchor trolley system and I think that is the way to go.

I mainly fish for what's biting and use whatever tackle it takes to get the job done. I do gravitate to the light tackle. 1/32 -1/8 oz spinners on 6# line and I dusted off the old 3/4 wt. flyrod (thanks to laflyfisher) and will chase the bluegills this spring.

I sit to fish(after all, it's only 25"wide :shock: ) and usually drift a little and anchor when I get to a good looking spot along the bank.

I use a single paddle while drifting and double for making time between spots.

Thought I had a big one today. I was fishing a tiny jig along a row of pilings when something hit it. I pulled back and the rod bent double but the thing on the other end of the line didn't budge. I fought it for a minute or so until it came up and I found out it was a foul hooked 9" diameter red eared green turtle. Probably a world record on light tackle!

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Thank for posting Joey. Boats ,Water, fishing all go hand in hand as does camping from our boats. Turtles can be a big fish story what about the alligator snapping turtle? Whats the biggest you've seen?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The biggest alligator snapper I have seen in the wild was a 60 pounder that was sunning on a log (very unusual). I know it was 60 lbs because someone caught it about a week later.

Speaking of big fish and such, as I get older, I am more inclined to release big fish and not go after the biggest and oldest of any other species. I derive more pleasure from knowing that old boy is still out there roaming around instead of in the freezer or on the wall. When I was younger, I lusted after getting a 7 ft. alligator gar on bow fishing tackle. Today, realizing that it might take 50 years for a fish to attain that size, I much prefer to know that he is swimming in our bayous and sloughs.

Joey

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Joey I have always been an eater fisherman or hunter I pick on the young to feed my hunger. When you take your brood stock away what will I eat next year. Now this is about rigging your boat and fish stories so lets proceed.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Simple rig

I just put the flyrod in the boat and make sure I have the Dog to get under foot (and wrapped up in the line) and away I go. I don't plan on catching anything, that way my hands won't smell all fishy and all. When I do catch, I let the dog lick it awhile and then turn it loose. :oops:

One day I'll get serious and set up with an anchor or drag and carry a frying pan and fixin's.

I do like my GPS but that doesn't help me with the fish, just knowing where I am. :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

I am a fanatic fisherman and all my boats are pretty much rigged the same way. A couple of berkey rod holders in front with an echo sounder mounted in between.

Most of my fishing is done just paddling round trolling a couple of minnow lures working the banks and drop-offs.

When the fish wont take artificials I gather live bait and drift along casting the unweighted baits at structure along the banks. I don't anchor. here, this method of fishing from a kayak or canoe is lethal.

Generally, I keep just enough fish for a feed that day and let the rest go.

Soft plastics are relatively new to me and I am still learning about them. their potential is obvious, I just have to learn how to fish with them.

When hooked up to solid fish, I sometimes get ito all sort of trouble with them towing me into the trees and such but for me that is half of the challenge of fishing from such a craft. Like others have said here, I release all of the big fish I manage to land anyway. I just don't manage to land very many. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Campfire topic Oldyaker asks How's your boat rigged to f

Ozark said:
What equipment do you have on your boat? Such as rod holders or electronics.
Do you troll, drift or is the boat exited to cast?
Sit, stand, or exit and wade?
Type of fish your after?
How do you control the boat when fighting the big one?
Anchors, spuds, drags or drift socks?
Propulsion as in paddles, poling, motor?
Big fish stories are welcome.
Anything I forgot please add to the topic.

I drift and use the paddle to ease along , if that does not produce then I troll or just enjoy the scenery and forget chasing the fish.
My preferred position is sitting since it provides a lower profile and does not spook the game.
90% fresh water , Bream & Bass with a fly rod , ultra light spinning or casting , the rest salt water which is usually down in the 10,000 islands or mosquito lagoon.

A short (3 foot) paddle operated with one hand is useful when fighting a fish , only for turning the canoe.
Main paddle ( form of locomotion) is a standard length canoe paddle and usually rested over ( on) my legs when fishing. A spare one is in the boat in case the one goes into the drink and I have to go back for it.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I have often thought a short paddle would be useful with fish on, but never had one available. I was thinking of fishing when I found this paddle.

ab58a27a.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OZ...For a number of years now, my boat has been rigged pretty much just Willy Nilly for fishing. That is why I thought it would be a great Campfire Topic. This year will be different. I am rigging my 14'7" river runn'n green OT as a rough and tough fish'n machine.
It will have an anchor trolley system, a system for holding rods, (those rod holders Mick has is what I'll be using), and some other items I am considering.

90% of my fishing is down one fantastic river, so I'm rigging for that use.

Thought I can get ideas from our members. The pirogue I built will be used for flat water fishing, I don't have the heart to drill holes in it quite yet. :cry:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Oldyaker the canoes I've fish from had no set up just took a pole a can of worms and maybe a few plugs. One top water one swimming minnow one diving plug that was about 3/8 ounce that looked like a craw dad. I would cast some from the boat but mainly would stop and wade the shallow side of the river casting to the deeper far side. I've tried those ultra light rigs but there not for me no back bone. I need something that will turn their heads and horse them around. I lost a bis smallie once cause I had to tender of a pole that will never happen again. No need for an anchor fishing like I do and I don't like drag for they disturb the bottom of the river. I try to not even walk through the nesting beds.
As for the fish I've caught channel cats large mouth bass small mouth bass gogle eyes walleyes crappie blue gill green sun fish and a few danged old carp. Other than some big cat fish the biggest was a large mouth bass on a little hula popper boy the water exploded when he hit that thing. Weight was a little over 6 pounds

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
This river bed is solid rock left from the before the last ice age. Drop an anchor and it's wedged between two giant frigg'n rocks. This river flows from 1.3 to 3.5 knots and has mild WW. The fish nest on the banks and island weed beds and big dropoffs. Miz Yaks record for smallies is 28 in a day. I got maybe a dozen in a day. I'm too busy bracing and keeping the pointy end downstream to fish as much as she does.

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
I have detachable anchor locks on the bow and stern of the canoe. Two are essential, in my opinion, for keeping me pointed in the direction I want for fly fishing. The bow anchor line is tucked next to the seat on my left and the stern is on the right. An ice chest is placed in front of the forward thwart. A gear bag is placed in front of my feet which contains flies, sun screen, bug juice, rain suit, etc. A dry bag is attached to my seat frame holding a camera, keys, wallet and cell phone. My PFD is placed behind the seat in easy reach. My landing net is behind me to the left. A spare rod in a case is also behind me. I attach everything to the thwarts or seat frame in the event I take a spill.

Kurt

Red8-600x450.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Kurt,

I realy like the sound of your set up mate. and I love the lines of your canoe. Can you provide some more details on your boat mate - please.

A couple of quick questions if you don't mind. I know nothing about fly fishing.

With the two achors out, does the wake from other boats cause any problems?

Have you tried just anchoring from the stern so that your bow will be pointing in the direction you are fishing? or do you cast up-current?

respectfully,

mick

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
Mick,

The canoe is the Merlin. Plans were purchased from Northwest Canoe http://www.northwestcanoe.com/. I can't say enough good things about it. It tracks straight, not too tough to turn and is stable enough for me to stand to stretch, cast or paddle standing using a kayak paddle. Wakes from boats while fishing aren't an issue because the marsh areas I fish average about a foot deep. Too shallow for power boats. If the conditions are right, I can certainly only use one anchor. However, I use both of them 95% of the time. I like to point the bow directly where I am casting. An added benefit of pointing towards the fish is the lack of ripples thrown off by the hull towards the fish when casting. I'm not sure if the ripples will spook fish in the shallow water, but it can't help. The wind or tidal movement won't change the boat's position with two anchors. The fish in the photo was hooked in front of the canoe.

Kurt

May27quarterview.JPG