Camping Lantern. | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping Lantern.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cabelas is having a sale on there 12 LED camping lantern at this time.... it's 1/2 off the normal cost. $39.99 reduced to $19.99 :D

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabe ... in-Medium$

I got one from them and it has a burning time of 1,000 hours with only 4 "D" size batteries and even has a remote on and off switch with it. You can alos turn it off on on without the remote.

Mine arrived yesterday and today I tried the remote , it worked a good 50 feet from the lantern and they say it is only good for 35 feet
In place of there Loooooooooog URL , I am using the tiny one from these folks.
http://tinyurl.com/5r74do

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You bring up a good subject there, Chuck - camp lighting. For a large, base camp that lantern would be a great asset. Even for when you break camp daily it would be good.

I have a Coleman lantern, and used to take it all the time. Then, I started back packing and left it behind. Debbie used to want a couple generating stations, lights for a football field, and an ice cream freezer along too.

For a long time, all I carried was a tea candle that I stuck into one corner of a 10" square of aluminum foil and formed a cup around the candle, with a reflector and wind shield up behind it. For portable light, I had a penlight.

Now, my 3 LED or 4 LED headlight suffices for me for everything in camp lighting. I don't even carry the candle lanterns any more.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Still have a couple of the dual mantel Coleman's and a candle lantern for camping. I liked this one since it can be hung by the hammock and when looking for it at in the dark of night , just hit the remote and there's LIGHT at the hammock.

Or like one time a friend had his hammock near me and I was in bed before him , heard him stumbling threw the bushes looking for his hammock ( Dark Green Hammocks blend in with the area at night) so I turned on my flashlight to give him an idea of the location ... now if that happens then hit a button and the site is lite up , not just a weak flashlight beam.

Hop in there with the light going and when ready then hit the remote and lights out , even with the lantern a good distance away. Something or someone prowling around during the night and I wake up ... Lights on and I'm no where near it at the time , I'm back in the shadows looking or just enjoying life in the hammock. :D
If you are sneaking into a camp and have less then honest intentions and a light comes on ... where would you look .. At the light is the obvious answer since someone had/has to be there to turn it on, they don't turn themselves on.

Plus it is waterproof and will even float if you take a spill between campsites or if it just rains during the night..... No Problem.

Plus now I have remote light to use in my little camper or outside it..... Getting back late and want the camper lite up before I step in there , hit the button and ...Let There Be Light. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I have always hated campin' with anyone with a lantern. Dark iz good. Lanterns in the woods iz bad. :wink: Like Mick sez "different blokes". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The campfire lite iz the only kind I like in the woods.

regards
bearridge

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. Bill Watterson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Fellas,

I have always hated campin' with anyone with a lantern. Dark iz good. Lanterns in the woods iz bad. :wink: Like Mick sez "different blokes". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The campfire lite iz the only kind I like in the woods.

regards
bearridge

Himmmmmmmmmm , OK .... I will not say anything about your flashlight or the lanterns we had so it illuminating the table with all the good stuff on it which ...went to waste. :roll: That was a camp robber that ate all of it .. right.

I'm with you... I hate to use a flashlight when my eyes are use to the dark , I like the firelight or the light from the moon or stars , both are great when camping. Artificial light stinks but on the flip side of the coin.

Sometimes it does pay to have something to light up your campsite when necessary and I'm not referring to something hand held. Better to have it a ways from you so you don't look like you are wearing a shirt with the target on it.

Times are changing and some measures need to be taken , sneaky but what the heck , the crooks and harm doers like the dark. 1st step is the light to stop them , if not and they don't leave .... that is why I have a concealed weapons permit and most folks i camp with have something in the firearms line. Don't intent to use them but don't leave them at home. Better to have and not need then to need and not have.

No lights then....... if you have your best friend along and his/her barking will make them scatter faster then Jack trying to beat Oldyaker to a Strawberry Sunday at the Cracker Barrel. (friends that is a race to see , trouble is no one has a film fast enough to capture it )

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O Master of Flowbizness,

I agree that a lantern iz good when fixin' supper in the dark, but that iz why ya need ta pull off by 3 pm. That gives ya time ta take care of bizness before the darkness falls. If truble comes in the woods after dark, I sho dont want no lite. I figger I am already in truble.....no call ta make it worse. Now that remote lite switch mite be a good idea......if the lite iz a long way off....let me sleep on it. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned. William Munney

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well folks I being a Texan view thingss a little different by golly we going to have light in my camp at night, like the time me and that yankee Jack had to high tail it to higher ground that ole lattern was sure handy to mark our way to the new camp.
Now she be a little warmer down here than it was then and this ole boy anit a walking around with them critters that buzz in the night and got no shoulders creepy crawling around so you fellers keep your head lights tail lights are where ever they be mounted and Ill take plenty of light in my camp aint partil to stepping on them crittes and they dont seem to like it much p o's them some.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well........

I have already had enough fun with the lantern to pay for itself.

I was sitting out on the back porch last night as darkness fell , I had placed the lantern on a table out on the patio by the workshop , about 40 feet away. While waiting for it to get just a little darker the wife came out and sat down to enjoy the night air. This is when that little light clicked on in my head and the devil gave a jab with the pitchfork in my rear egging me on , saying Do It , Do It , Do It....

We sat there talking for a spell and in a soft voice I asked her to say ... Lights on in a normal voice.

She gave me that look that only a wife can do and I assured her it was an experiment and for her to do it. (I'm sitting there with the remote for the lantern in my hand)

She looks around and then Say's ...Lights On...... at lights I clicked the button and the lantern lite up. All silent from her part of the porch. Next I asked in a soft voice .. say ..Lights out in normal tones..... She did and I clicked the light off.

For a while sitting out there she would say .... Light's and I would click the button ..... after a while I think she smelled a rat and asked what is going on and how does that lantern turn on an off when she says it.

Smiling like the Cheshire cat I held the remote up and said ... with this. :oops:

Since this is a family forum and we tend to keep things moderate so no one gets offended I can't really say what she called me but the three little initials referenced with YOU referred to my parents not being married and they were married , I know that for a fact. :lol:

You would think after 43 years of married life she would know me better then that......... :roll:

Women ....Jezzzzeeeeeeeeeee :p

Chuck.
with any luck a good supper tonight might have her actually talking to me again , if not then I will (along with pup's ) just enjoy the quiet. Someone should of told me she had a really bad day at work...What do I know. :lol:

jvmorton2002

Jan 22, 2008
Wichita,KS
Has me rethinking my coleman exponent lantern, I love it's compact size, but the heat it gives off can be problematic if things aren't going quite right...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
Got the lantern today neat little light. Thanks for the info Chuck.
Paul

Your Welcome and I hope you enjoy it and it gives you a lot of use. It is not the brightest light in the group ( sort of like me ) but they say it will run for 1,000 hours on the batteries and it is waterproof along without producing any heat.

That's a good reason to do a lot of camping , checking out there running time on the lantern , as if we need an excuse to go camping. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On this last trip I used the lantern and it is something.

After setting up the camper I put the folding table in the camper and had a battery powered fan along with the lantern on it as comfort items during the night time hours.

The lantern is more then what Cabelas tells you. The distance you can operate it from is a lot longer then what they advertise. I would be returning from the rest rooms and thinking that the remote would not work at that distance but it sure did.

Sitting around the fire pit with Swampy and KT , if I heard something over by the camper , just hit the button on the remote and see if a coon was trying to slip in there for a nap.

The remote function is nice and I think it will even be better when out in the woods when looking for the hammock on a dark night , hit the remote and there the is hammock or tent. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
I have had mine outside yet how would you rate the light that it sheds around?
Paul

For a battery powered lantern ......... Bright even in full moonlight and brighter when the moon has passed by.

It's no Coleman double mantle lantern at full blast but it is bright. Plus there is no fire worry ( HEAT ) or white gas to refill it with and the batteries last for 70 hours according to them.

I'm very happy with it and I can see where it will get a lot of use. :D Between hurricanes and then camping when things cool down. Especially with the hurricanes... Set it on a shelf , set it to remote and when the power goes out , click the remote and have light. No fumbling around in the dark , falling over coffee tables , stepping on the dogs tail and trying to find or get to a flashlight when instant darkness hits you in a storm. It always hits ( power goes out , while looking at the weather channel ) when you do not expect it.......... :roll:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
coogzilla said:
Sparky I ordered one. And other stuff too. Kinda hard to go shopping
at Cabelas. Dern credit card is saying "Ouch".
Coogs

Tell me about it , calling them today and getting some more of there 7 pocket shorts for this summer (I think summer is already here) , I wear them all the time. In fact they and a comfortable supplex shirt was what I wore on this last trip , might as well be comfortable. :D

http://tinyurl.com/3lufh2

Chuck.