Canada wilderness - Pic intense. Stunning! | SouthernPaddler.com

Canada wilderness - Pic intense. Stunning!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
FOXTROT SIERRA HOTEL!!

THAT'S why books are written about canoeing and camping up north. It's where people want to go.

Only because they never have had the pleasure of paddling down south where life is easy and the pleasures are great. Portage down here is a cuss word.
I read some books about paddling up north and I think it was from the Loony Toon Publishing company , they sure were comical. Ha Ha Ha , spend 3/4's of the day carrying your boat and 1/4th of the day paddling , why have a boat , save on the weight , just backpack. :roll:

To me that is like having to drive 100 miles and pushing your vehicle 75 of them , it does not compute/

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I thank ya fer sharin' that with us. Our pal Art frum Canada had a trip planned where he wuz off by hizownself ta Yellowknife 'n then a longer trip down river, mebbe even down the MacKenzie River where them British kids quit. Life dealt Art some bad cards 'n that trip looks like it iz off. :(

I better go tell him ta check out yer pichurs. I love a river that moves. I wonder why the guides didnt take a raft....ta tote the extra gear? I seen the Novacraft Canoe....jest like the kids I met on the Buffalo....with the same blue barrels they used ta make a table frum a bottom upwards canoe. I wish they had asked me ta join up on that trip. I dont know if I will do that one by myownself. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Bear mate,

I would give me left nut to do a trip like that. The scale of the place just takes my breath away. I have never paddled big water like that - nor even seen it. It makes the biggest of our rivers look like little more than drains.

I think those kids did real well to run that river.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

That river iz a mind boggler alrite, but it iz the mountains that take yer breath rite off ya. We still have a good many big rivers (plenty that make that Mountain River look purty tame), but none of 'em iz too far frum McDonalds 'er a Super Wal Mart. :cry: It iz only 3173.76 frum here ta Yellowknife. 52 hours 7 minutes. Always wondered what Minot, Northern Dakota looks like. :wink:

regards
bearridge

They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth. Unknown high school student

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
r

That sure is some fine looking mountains and river. Thanks Mick.

Friend Bear,

First, you get a Bonsi Tree, the smallest you can find. Then you go to a pool hall that has big tables [or you could use just about any table that was large enough.

You then place the Bonsi Tree on one end of the table, walk to the other end and kneel down so you are at eye level.

Look across the table to the tree on the far end. At that point, you have just seen North Dakota in the spring. For summer, paint the table brown. For winter just put areas of dirty white amongst the brown and stand in a bucket of ice water butt niked with an air conditioner on full blast while viewing.

I think that just about sums it up.

Any more travel logs you would like to read about ? :lol: