Cape Fear Trip. | SouthernPaddler.com

Cape Fear Trip.

OK, well Joe Flowers, Howard, and I had decided that weather-be-damned, we were going to get out on the water this weekend, one way or another. It had been raining off and on all week, and when I awoke in the wee hrs. of the morning to find that I couldn't even see my shed outside, due to the downpour, I wasn't too surprised.

Oh well, I had done stupid things in the past, as well, so why stop now. I went outside in nothing but my old duster and loaded the truck. Due to the torrential rain, it took quite a bit longer than I thought, but eventually, we met up on I-95 in NC, and headed South.

Blades that I took with me were my trusty 18" Ontario Machete, Charlie May Rednecker(slabbed version), and Abe's "Bootlegger" sheath knife. Also, Joe brought me a Cold Steel Finbear to do a little testing with. Watercraft included Manta Ray 14ft. kayak, Old Town Pack Canoe 12ft., and Otter 10ft. kayak.

We originally planned to do a big lake, but access was denied, due to hunting in the area, so we put in on the Cape Fear River, instead. Now, the place where we put in was relatively calm, but shortly downstream, things changed a bit.

If you have ever see the movie, "Cape Fear", then you know how bad it can get with a little storm putting that extra bit of water downstream...

Had a few incidents along the way(yall know what fireants do when they get flooded out, right) but we camped out Saturday night, and came out Sunday Evening in a place called Erwin.

Anyway, the Manta Ray performed flawlessly, and I was pleased.

Unfortunatly, my waterproof camera bag did a great job, but ended up being a real pain to get unzipped in a hurry, so I ended up keeping my camera pretty well packed up most of the time, but did manage to snap a few decent pics. Will be pricing a large Pellican or similar case to replace it with and use the zippered bag for other stuff.

Joe took some as well, and though he is not yet a member here, I'll forward him the link and see if he wants to join up.

Enjoy.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/B ... ?start=all

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bootlegger,

Nice pichurs. Looks like the water wuz "up purty good". That iz what Ole Cecil Pardue at the Texaco/barbecue in Cleveland, Alabama used ta tell paddlers when we asked bout the Locust Fork River. I dont reckon ya'll wore yerselves out paddlin'. :lol:

How far did ya'll paddle? How long on the water? The High Sheriff made it rain on ya'll. Because of him a real hoodoochie iz bout ta hit the land formerly known az the Sunshine State. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I was making love to this girl and she started crying.  I said, "Are you going to hate yourself in the morning?"  She said, "No, I hate myself now."  Rodney Dangerfield

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bootlegger

Your trip looked like a lot of fun and just the type of trip I usually go on. As soon as I start packing it starts raining and usually does not stop till I get home.

Yep , the fire ants make them selves into a big ball or a flat raft and drift with the water till they hit something to attach to , a pants leg , canoe , paddle or anything else. :lol:

Chuck.
Ps. I have camped during one hurricane on the St.Johns when I was really young (teenager) and two in the Everglades later in life. I'm sort of use to the rain. Never said I was smart , just like camping.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It has been a while since I looked at Toms web site , Hennessey Hammocks , I noticed in your pictures this one , it jumped out and slapped me. WOW a camo hammock. So over to his web site for an education.

P1013224.jpg

Did I ever get educated....Tom has several of the Survivor (Camouflaged ) models to choose from.

I have the Safari Deluxe ( standard hammock) in the dark green and until it wears out , which I am sure will be a 100 years down the road , I will have to stay with it.

The same holding weight limit as the Survivors ,350 pounds ( $219.00) but half the price of the Survivors ,top line models $439.00. Now if he ever makes a hex fly for the Survivor series then that would work good with the Safari Deluxe I have.

Not sure what model that one is, but I paid a little over $100.00 for it years ago. I would've prefered a brown or tan model, but what the heck. Amazed at how well it has worked. I have, since the trip- rigged the sack so that the head-end line runs through a grommet in the sack and stays there all the time. Also, cut the side lines off and replaced them with white nylon line. Got tired of folks tripping on them. Will replace them with yellow paracord, one day. Also rigged a little gear hammock on the foot-end line, made from one of those useless little mesh things that come with the new trucks. I rigged it on little biners and two extra prusket knots on the line, so I can adjust it but it will not slide. This little thing is perfect for my boots and such. My pack still hangs on the foot-end tree, and now my boots are slightly above head level while I sit in the hammock to put them on. Still can be covered by the fly in case of rain.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My guy line has two, plastic hooks inside the hammock. I cut part of the side link off to open up the hooks more. I hang my hiking boots on them and slide them outside the hammock, up under the end of the fly. A biner or two would perform the same service.

I cut away the dinky gear loft that came with the hammock, and use one form a Eureka 2 man Timberline tent.

Hennessy has been my camping shelter of choice for about 9-10 years now.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Glad you do. I've camped in these things for a long time now, and learn from others that do too. Not all my companions use them, but many do now.

I'd advise the hex fly. I don't have one and had to modify the hell right out of mine to get good protection from sideways rain.

I've had zero luck trying to get anything that hangs below the hammock for insulation to work worth a darn. I think it solves a problem that doesn't exist. I just use a closed cell pad, 3/4 length and it works just fine to insulate me. It also is handy around camp for:
...Sitting on backed up to a log, tree, or rock like an easy chair
...Kneeling on beside a boat for loading/unloading operations
...Kneeling pad in a canoe
...As a sitting/kneeling pad while taking a sponge bath

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The 3/4 length pad works really good for me while in the hammock sleeping.

As far as a sponge bath , I like to use water , sponges chaff my delicate skin. When did they start making sponges out of used sandpaper ? I guess some water on them might help.

"O as far as sitting around the camp .... a camp chair does wonders for the comfort angle and as far as getting in a boat , put it in the water and just step in it , just like when you get out of one. :lol: Plus I only paddle sitting down , I'm no Catholic. :lol: :lol:

Now as far as backing up to a tree , I usually face them head on and out of the splash range depending on the amount of coffee or tea I had before hitting the hammock. Sometimes a good 20 feet or is that inches. :wink: Family forum Chuck , Family forum.... Yaker Jack , Oldyaker and Harrymick will be on your ............ Family forum , family forum , keep saying it to your self Ya Dummy.

Yes Sir I will do that ......