Cap'n Jack's Power Bars - Modified | SouthernPaddler.com

Cap'n Jack's Power Bars - Modified

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
From time to time, I modify most everything I have, or can reasonably get my hands on. Today, I modified my power bars. Here's where I am now with this reliable, staple camp fare.

1 cup powdered milk;
2 cups of mixed, dried fruits (these are usually sticky and tend to clump. First, separate each piece or morsel into a large, mixing bowl containing the milk powder, and completely dust them well so all surfaces are dry and no longer sticky.) It's easier to cut them w/ scissors that have been sprayed with PAM
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or almonds;
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted if you can get them;
1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
6 cups oatmeal;
1 3/4 cup applesauce, I don't like the store bought stuff with high fructose corn sweetener - I use a bag of apples, a crock pot, cinnamon, and apple pie spice to make my own - mash it with a potato masher to get a good, chunky consistency;
1 1/2 cup honey - (Warming the honey in a pan of hot water helps).

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add applesauce and honey and mix again. Press firmly into 12" X 17" baking pan w/ raised edges, and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. To save clean up, I line the pan with parchment paper. After the mix has been pressed down in the pan, trim off excess paper hanging out over the edges for better browning of the mix during baking.

When it comes out of the oven, I precut the large sheet into bars about 2" X 3" with a pizza cutter. This makes it easier to finish cutting them apart and separate into individual bars after the bars cool. Pack them one or two to a small, plastic bag. Store forever in a freezer. I've carried them in a car for weeks.

Reactions: jpirhalla1170