Cargo triler to camper conversion | SouthernPaddler.com

Cargo triler to camper conversion

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have been wanting to build a trailer like Ron's for a while now. Randy posted his cargo trailer that he converted for camping and I thought Hey I have one of those that I don't use for work anymore,so here it goes. It is a 2007 Pace American 12x6 with double back doors. It had kinda become a portable storage building so it took me awhile to clean it out and remove the shelves that I built for material while I used it for work. First I built a cabinet in the front corner for storage and such.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Then I built a bench/ battery and A/C power compartment. Which will house 2 deep cycle marine batteries, a inverter, fuse block for D/C power, small panel for A/C power and a power cord.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

My wife is going to sew a cushion for the bench and I am going to fabricate some sort of removable table for when the weather is bad. The bed will be across the back of the trailer with storage underneath. A/C will be in the nose beside the cabinet. I really don't have a set idea for this, so we will see what all gets added as it goes along. Now I gotta build a rack for my truck to haul my boats. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not to Hijack your post ( this will be removed after a few days) I moved it over here to camping , since it is going to be a camper. This is a lot of good information for anyone wanting to make such a conversion.

Please keep us informed on your progress. :D

Chuck.
PS. I removed your note to me from the start of your post since it would not make any seance when this is gone. .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was wondering about that and why no one has done it. Over at a builders supply store , killing some time , I looked at one and thought it would make a good camping trailer ( since all the hard work is done) with some modifications.

Add some insulation to the ceiling and panel it.
a A/C unit.
Not sure but a sky light or two with fans.
add a window or two.
The normal living necessities inside , bed , table , chairs , ect. ( was thinking of a drop down platform for the bed and the same for the table. Have them hinged to the sides so they would store [ flat ] against the sides when not in use.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: While typing this , I see Jack has the same thoughts / questions.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I will install some sort of roof power vent and a couple of louvered vents down low to circulate some air. I will also install a CO detector in case I decide to use a propane stove or heater. Also i am going to rig some sort of hooks down the rain channel outside to hang a tarp off of for an awning.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
http://www.fantasticvent.com/ Got one of their products in my camper. It's quiet, it moves a bunch of air, and it doesn't leak. Probably kind of expensive (came with the trailer, so I don't know) but I do know that it works.

Will your battery box have any sort of ventilation? I'd be a little worried about hydrogen with it sealed up like that.

George

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have some louvered vents ordered. One of which will be installed in the battery box vented to the outside.
I decided to raise the bed to about 24-30 inches for storage, because everything above your head is wasted space.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got alittle more done this evening. I glued 3/4 foam to the ceiling for insulation.

trailer831001.jpg

Then I screwed 1/8 masonite to the ceiling braces. I am going to cut the hole in the nose tomorrow night for the A/c unit. I stopped today and bought some 2" thick foam to use as a mattress once the bed frame is built.

trailer831002.jpg

All of my wiring will run down each side between the walls and the ceiling. Once everything is wired I will put a piece of trim down each side to tie the ceiling and walls together.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Looking good! A friend of mine at church did one like this, and he has had a lot of fun with it.

What is the height on your trailer? Any idea what you'll be shooting for on weight?

George

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
It's 6'2" inside. As far as weight I don't have a clue. It has two 3500# axles so I am not really concerned about weight at this point.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Darrells said:
It's 6'2" inside. As far as weight I don't have a clue. It has two 3500# axles so I am not really concerned about weight at this point.

Yeah, you won't likely get anywhere near capacity on that. I was thinking more about pulling it. The lighter the better, so long as it is set up to do what you want it to do.

We have a 19ft Airstream that is a lot of fun, but I've often wished it was smaller and simpler.

GBinGA

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I want to say that the empty weight is about 1500#. I have had 5000 pounds of wire in it and it pulled very well. I really think it will be somewhere around2000# or less once completed.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got alittle more done today. Built the bed frame with a cabinet over the top and painted the inside. I ran across a good deal on some vinyl tile today so tomorrow I am going to lay a floor in it. I built the bed frame on hinges so it can be folded out of the way.

trailer9609002.jpg

trailer9609003.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I had some 120 volt undercounter lites laying around from a job, so I converted them to 12 volts for my trailer. Still use the regular t12 bulbs just change the ballast.

lite002.jpg

lite003.jpg

The lite is 2 feet long and pulls 2 amps@ 12 volts. This same ballst with ignite any flourescent buld from 18"-4'.

lite007.jpg

The lite in the upper right is 120 volts and the lower lite is my new 12 volt lite.

lite008.jpg

Here is a pic of a 4' green lite made in the same way.

greenlite003.jpg

The ballasts are available from:
Ballast
#OIB-153
http://www.solarseller.com/thinlite_bal ... 143_to_162

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Cargo trailer to camper conversion

That white paint really made a difference in there, ehh? Lot easier to see around in there now.

Good thinking on those lights. I've never seen a green light like that. Some particular purpose for it?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Darells,
Where can you get 4' green tubes? On the web there yahoos selling green fishing lights for hundreds of dollars. My son got me a small one from Wal Mart for about $20 I think. It is made to go in the water.
Bob