Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bassinhank

Apr 13, 2004
Hey All,

As a kid growing up fishing the slow moving streams and rivers of NJ for catfish, and sunnies, carp had the reputation as a trash fish.

These days the big ol goldfish seems to have undergone a transformation into a freshwater game fish. How'd that happen?!

So what say you? Is the carp a gamefish or a goldfish?

Thanks,

Hank

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Snook wre considered trash fish down here back in the good ole days and worth nothing more then fertlizer....

Then a person found out if you take the skin off them when they are cooked they are some outstanding eating.... Trash fish at one time and today one if not the number one salt water game & eating fish....

I think the same thing is happining with the carp.....

Chuck.

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Carp up here are considered a trash fish but, that mostly may be from the eating advisories that are published and from the fact that they messup the shallows that are used by other fish to spawn. Beyond that I am not above putting a couple of lines in the water,sittin back and hoping for a tug on the line. Shooting them with a bow is a riot,as a matter of fact they typically spawn in the beginning weeks of this month on the local river.

Never ate one and dont think I ever will. Draino

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Bassinhank,

Everywhere I've lived, carp were considered trash fish by angling associates while others relish catching them to eat. As far as eating goes, I can't abide the little bones so, for me, it's a trash fish in that category. However, if feeling like a D9 Cat on the end of your line and fightin' like Hell qualify it as a game fish, then game fish it is. I believe in edibilty and fight as qualifications for the name "game fish". They ARE fun to catch, however, particularly on ultralight.

Oldtimer

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I remember eating a few smaller carp; usually under 18" long when I was a kid. We skinned them and cut out the mud vein on the side. Not super tasty, but OK.

bassinhank

Apr 13, 2004
question errata

Kayak Jack said:
Casn't answer an "either/ or" question with a yes or no. Interesting subject, would you consider rewording the question?

Opps. Mea Culpa....

will resubmit.

Thanks,

Hank

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Back in the early 60s around Detroit, the carp tore up Lake Erie and thus added to the already pollution of the Lakes. As far as shooting carp with a bow and arrow, it reminds me of how early settlers "hunted" buffalo. About as sporting as playing solotair with one suit and a line of 13 cards abreast. They "sit" right on shore line waiting to be done in... sigh ...
A fella told me how to clean one and stated that it was great food... I have never to this day tried it... Pike used to be the "trash" fish back in the "old days". I do enjoy hooking and playing them. And the small bones in them I can handle. Speaking of small bones... walleye have em and you get shot speaking to a walleye fisherman about the fish being considered as trash. :shock:
Then too, I don't want to hook a cat either...
Always look for the promoter when trash fishing is held high.... a poor excuse for not having native fish in their waters.
Other side of the coin: Love to hook up with a Musky!!!! :p

Non- balanced swampy