Catfish Bait?? | SouthernPaddler.com

Catfish Bait??

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Blood

It's a bit of work to prepare but it works, doesn't smell and strips off the hook.

Go to your local abattoir (slaughter house) and get a 5 gallon bucket of blood. Ask them to avoid the blood that comes out the luings as it has bubbles in it that don't break up easily.

Put the bucket in the refrigerator overnight. Hope you have a second refrig outside or your wife is out of town.

The blood will phase out overnight to a thin watery layer on top and a thicker layer on bottom. Pour out the thin top layer.

What's left in the bucket will be the consistency of a thin Jello. Handle it carefully and take it out and cut it into bait sized chunks. Better to do this outside as it's dripping blood.

Return the chunks to the bucket or a smaller container and add a couple of quarts of water to which you've added a quarter cup of alum (aluminum sulfate).

Gently stir with your hand to get the water to contact the chunks and put back into the refrig overnight.

Repeat the process util the chunks reach the consistency for the stream you're going to fish. Softer for still water and harder for faster water.

Bag the chunks up in plastic containers or zip lock bags and freeze until ready for use

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Yep and I always take a box of Saltine Crackers with me when I go FISHING!! If I can't catch anything with the bait I can always put it on crackers if I GET HUNGRY!!! :roll:
Kahuna

Kayak Jack said:
And, you guys eat something that goes after that kind of bait??? Aye god, you may want to rethink what you are putting into your mouth.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Seedtick talking about dried blood reminded my of my Grandfather. He commercial fished on Lake Whitney for many years and he liked using dried blood and P&G soap on his trot (thats trout for some of you) lines.
Depending on where I go, I like liver, winnies, shad, or shrimp. Ought to be doing that now instead of talking to Ya'll. :wink:
Bob

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Seedtick wasn't talking about dried blood. It's more like jello. My grandpa used to get it from his friend Dewey at the butcher shop and we would use it on trotlines. You had to be really careful when baiting the hooks so as not to knock it off the hooks that were already baited. It damn fragile stuff, but gooood bait!

Mike

DeweyFord

Jul 1, 2011
My favorite catfish bait is chicken gizzards and chicken livers. Chicken gizzards tend to stay on the hook better. I usually buy the stuff at the local grocery store. It's much cheaper than buying catfish bait at the bait shop. Don't worry if it goes bad, the stinkier the better.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
back in ther 60's we'd pass by the chicken processing plant and get a wooden crate of chicken guts for about two dollars.

that was good bait for about three days but after that was too stinky for us

tsigmon

May 25, 2011
Depending on the size you want to catch. Smaller, what we call "skinners" we use worms, shrimp, stink bait(rarely) or helgramites. If we want larger ones we use shad or blue back herring. Larger fish will be more like a preadator than a scavenger, blue catfish especially. Channel cats not so much, but 4-10 lb channels respond better to fresh cut bait rather than to "traditional " offerings. For us anyway, YMMV.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We call the little ones fingerlings , any in the 6 inch to 10 inch bracket. They are some fine eating and the best bait for them is a little piece of a worm on a small hook. Want some fun , try a fly rod when fishing for them and if a bigger one comes along , all the more fun.

Just bait the hook with a piece of the worm ( I like to thread the worm on the hook ) then flip it out there and let it sit till Mr. Whiskers picks it up. :D