Champion forum member | SouthernPaddler.com

Champion forum member

islandpiper

One of our number is AGAIN a trophied archer. There was a big meet in Louisiana last weekend and of all the MANY MANY shooters attending, a fellow pirogue maker, swamp paddler, home crafted hammock engineer won. He is too shy to simply brag himself up here, so I'll do it. If fact.......i'm thinking that even posting his name might embarrass him, so I'll leave the name out too. But, he's a great bow fisherman and throws a paddle from time to time.

Congrats joey!!! (oops) piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I recall readin' what Joey had ta allow, but it disappeared like boiled hawg jowls at a family picnic. I reckon he musta done real good 'n jest dont wanna brag?

regards
bearridge

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.  Sir Winston Churchill

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
chuck, nice to know tht 2 + 2 is still 4 congress and BO can't seem to figure that out.

Robin Hood was actually French.

piper

Piper .. I rest my case .......
It is my understanding that the Cajuns are from the Arcadian's control ( French) and were expelled from that Yankee land and had to move south to avoid prosecution and set up there own society , to enjoy the free life.

In that migration to the south they took ( enticed ) a Lobster with them ( actually several to follow them ) and when they got down here the pore Lobster's had wore them selves out on the journey and shrunk down becoming what we know today as a Crawdad , mud puppy or Crayfish. For that all of us are really thankful and really appreciate the good eating.

My guess is that the good eating just follows the Cajuns around , even today.

Chuck
PS. Now if we could just understand what those krazy Cajuns are saying and if they would of left them Mississippi Lawyers back in Yankee land. "O" well with some good there is always someone else no one understands. :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, here's the scoop. I had a good day and the REAL shooters didn't show up so I came out first in the Traditional class. It was a 20 target 3d course with a basic possible score of 200. There was a possible bonus of a siver dollar-sized circle in the kill zone which counted for 12 points. I hit 3 of those. Target distance was fairly close- around 20 yard + or - . I scored 181 -
The shoot was put on by the Bayou State Bowhunters and they mostly follow the ASA rules. There were a lot of compound shooters there also. Real high-tech equipment.

100_0560.jpg

My plaque and my favorite handcrafted :mrgreen: bow- Straight-limbed 45# long bow with red elm limbs and cocobolo handle riser. I just love to go up against those guys with their $1000.00 ( yes - $1000.00) bows with my humble longbow.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

I seen yer first reply. Funny. I am mitey proud of ya, but when I seen ya in that pirogue, I figgered ya knew how ta fling a arrow.

respectfully
bearridge

If the world was a logical place, men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle.  unknown

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
bearridge said:
.... when I seen ya in that pirogue, I figgered ya knew how ta fling a arrow.

Ditto. If I tried what you were doing in that picture I would undoubtedly nail one of my feet to the bottom of the boat. :D Congratulations on your win!

George

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, guys. It felt good to be in the running again. I've had a long running fight with "it" -- target panic. Serious shooters know what I'm talking about. It's a mental thing :? that plagues shooters in all sports. I've been laying off of shooting as much and it seems to have helped. As a matter of fact, I put a new string on the bow the night before the shoot and shot a dozen arrows. It had probably been 2 weeks since the last time I shot.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Never did the competition stuff but did the one that puts meat on the table for quite a spell. Might be smart to get back at it , the way things are going.
Love it , absolutely love it when a old fashion handcrafted bow out does the high teck manufactured ones.

Joey , Ya done good , Really Good. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
Never did the competition stuff but did the one that puts meat on the table for quite a spell. Might be smart to get back at it , the way things are going.
Love it , absolutely love it when a old fashion handcrafted bow out does the high teck manufactured ones.

Chuck.

What I REALLY like is when I win against those high dollar guys with my self bow made from a $5.00 piece of Home Depot red oak. :p That's the red oak bow I'm shooting from the 12' pirogue on our Lake Verret trip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
oldsparkey said:

Chuck.

What I REALLY like is when I win against those high dollar guys with my self bow made from a $5.00 piece of Home Depot red oak. :p That's the red oak bow I'm shooting from the 12' pirogue on our Lake Verret trip.

About the same as being in one of our handcrafted Pirogues and coming back with a limit of fish and the guy in that $60,000 bass boat only brought back his bait. :D

Chuck.