Chassahowitzka River campground and Dangermouse01. | SouthernPaddler.com

Chassahowitzka River campground and Dangermouse01.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dangermouse01 (AKA Mike) and the Space Coast Paddlers along with the Gulf Coast Backwater Paddlers meet at the Chassahowitzka River Campground for some serious paddling over the weekend.

An old goat happen to show up and managed to get some camping and relaxing in while those other folks worked at paddling.

The weather was perfect , nice and sunny during the day , warm but not hot and then cooled down at night so a sleeping bag felt really good. It was my general impression that all of them had a great time and as far as relaxing , I managed to get a lot of that in while walking around the area and meeting my fellow campers.

Not saying they ran short of boats , because they sure didn't , they had plenty of them. Here is a picture of just a couple of them.

dm%20009.jpg

The campground is nice but you are close to the folks camping next to you , no bushes or any foliage separating the campsites. It is a comfortable campground and they did have some Owls sounding off at night.
dm%20005.jpg

Now , here is a picture of dnagermouse01 (AKA Mike) and his better half Mary K relaxing from the paddling trip and looking forward to a group get together and supper so they could swap stories about the days paddling.

Folks ... Let me tell you , The Wadefish that Mike built and we have seen the pictures of .... Those pictures do not , repeat , DO NOT do the boat any Justice , it is way nicer then they show. The detail in the craftsmanship is beyond approach , it is a work of art. A lot of thought ( tender loving care on the detail ) and work went into building it the way Mike did.

Bear... I think Mike is trying to out do you on the head gear. :lol:
dm%20006.jpg

OK, time for me to mow the grass ( the boss left orders to get it mowed today) but I did want to get a short trip report posted , proof that we do that down here. :roll:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
Did he bring his SOT?

Does a Bear go poop in the woods ?
Does oldyakey bring some good camping snacks on trips ?
Does Kayak Jack ..... SNORE ?
Does Harrymick build wood boats ?
Does Jem Watercraft design some great boats ?
Does Piper make musical instruments ?
Do we have a lot of talent on this web site and yours ?

Now !!!!!! you asked .....:roll:
Did Mike bring the wadefish....... NOPE... I never saw a fish wading but I did manage to see one lovely boat designed by JEM Watercraft and made by Dangermouse01.

Matt all joking aside , if you ever get a chance to see it in person , I would strongly suggest you do , those pictures ( like I said ) do not do it justice. It is a hundred times better then what they show.

Now Mike did not have the privilege I had by hanging around the campsite ( Mine was directly across from his , by accident , I can assure you , just a quirk of faint ) and watching folks walking by his campsite (since he was out paddling ) but the Wadefish he made was a hiker stopper. Everyone , even a guy with a seeing eye dog had to stop and look at it ( OK so I'm exaggerating on that part ) :lol: But if there would of been someone there in that condition I am sure he would of stopped , everyone else did.

NO joking , it is a person stopper , paddler or camper , everyone had to look and touch it , then just smile as they went on there way.

Nothing gives a person a warmer feeling then to see a wood boat and when it is a work of art , everyone appreciates the skill that went into making it , even non paddlers.

As I said I had a good time talking to the rest of the campers in there and as luck would have it I had on a southernpaddler "T" Shirt then the next day the hat... While talking things turned around to boats ( stricley by accident ) and you would be proud of me ... As far as the guy padding the Gator , we are Gator racers and train them for the marathon races.

I never said anything about southernpaddler or your boats and web site being a wood boat building web sites, even with visual proof of one of them there. I just bit my tongue and remained silent for one or two seconds. :roll:

Especially when someone would say , That boat must of cost him several thousands of dollars. No sir , I never said you can build one for a lot less then you think and save all the money for paddling and camping trips , I would never do that. Not Me .. No Way.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck, can't you paddle rivers that are easier to pronounce?

Doesn't Florida have any rivers with a one syllable name?

Are waters of complicatedlynamed rivers more enjoyable? sigh

I'm glad that Olde Goate got out of the pen last weekend. He need an airing off. Getting might "goaty" after being shut up all summer long.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...

Nope all our rivers are verbal twisters , about like the rivers in your area and up Nawth. That is why we shortened them down to the Chass River in this case.

Yep, it was fun to get out and more fun over there. I trust you and Charlie had a good time this weekend on that river I can't even spell. Bout time both of us got out for some fresh air and relaxing. :D

You had some wilderness and I had something I enjoy at times ... People watching. Now the Squirrels were fun to watch with some French fries I tossed them , guess one had one to many as he fell out of the tree , bounced back up and right back to the tree and branch that dumped him.

There has to be a lesson there. ???????

Chuck.
PS. As the Chassahowitzka goes it is pronounced without the HO in it. Chass-o-witzka by the locals. No HO's allowed. I like to say Chass-whiskey and around 4 PM and cocktail time ... just right as in Chass pour the whisky :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
As I said I had a good time talking to the rest of the campers in there and as luck would have it I had on a southernpaddler "T" Shirt then the next day the hat... Chuck.

I have been thrown out of every fine establishment there is when I wear the SP T-shirt and hat! :shock: They know you everywhere Chuckles.... :roll:

Nice report....campground looks OK. You better quit hanging around the young'ns Chuck...they might teach you some things you can't handle anymore! :wink: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
I have been thrown out of every fine establishment there is when I wear the SP T-shirt and hat! :shock: They know you everywhere Chuckles.... :roll:

Nice report....campground looks OK. You better quit hanging around the young'ns Chuck...they might teach you some things you can't handle anymore! :wink: :lol: :lol:

That's why I just camped and sat back enjoying life , let the younger folks ( anyone under 70 which I am sure you have associate with in the past ) enjoy what they are doing and to do my own thing in my own slow way.

The person rushing around does not see the true beauty of nature , that requires reaming still in one spot ( something I am good at ) and observing what is going on around you.

The ants on the table and there scrounging for food or anything they might like , the Buzzards circling over head riding the winds , the Squirrels and the tricks they do. The leaves falling from the trees saying this is the time for it and I'm passing on. Just like the acorns falling on the camper along with me and sounding like rifle shots when they hit. Then they will become oak trees later on if some Squirrel is not burying them for some winter chow . The way they do that is a hoot to watch , especially the way they try to hide where they buried that nut.

The butterflies flitting in the air and checking things out as they go along , even the yellow jackets ( wasps ) trying to get in the can of Coke while it sits on the table.

The quiet of the woods Plus so much more that puts you in touch with where you are as a visitor in there home. That is better then any TV program , it is life in it's cycles which most of us today tend to just pass and don't pay any attention to. That alone is a crime against nature.

I could go into a lot greater detail about this last weekend but I can guranatee you no one noticed and enjoyed the campground more then I did , the people were great , the critters from the ant , looking for a snack , to the buzzard were just as much fun , if you take the time to enjoy them.

My guess it is something up old farts do and then everyone wonders ... Why is he just sitting there doing nothing. Heck just in my little area that I camped in there were 9 Squirrel nests above me. My bet is no one noticed them or the action there. :D

I Did. :D

By the way a person , if so inclined , could wright a book about all I noticed in the two days over there , the stories the other campers told me , there dreams and what they do along with everything I had a pleasure of being a part of. It was priceless.

Chuck.
I might have to go back and talk to the one Squirrel that dropped the acorn in my drink... NO ....Better yet have that sucker for supper or just forget it and have a cover for my drink when sitting out there in there home.
That tree rat had some dead on sights for my coffee cup and it was not coffee in it. :twisted:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
and then everyone wonders ... Why is he just sitting there doing nothing.
Careful not ta drool.....else ya mite end up with Drs. Cheswick, Martini, Bancini, Scanlon 'n Tabor. How bout a shuffleboard contest? Find us a campground with shuffleboard.....'n a waitress/gymnast who serves the ice cold beer. We need ta pratice. :wink:

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, can't you paddle rivers that are easier to pronounce?

Doesn't Florida have any rivers with a one syllable name?

Jack, we give 'em all long complicated names so we can tell who's not from around here. :lol:

Chuck, I think I had just as many people say they where going over to your site to check out the tent-camper.

And just for the record, of all the times I have been camping with Chuck, we are 100 percent on the excellent weather. Don't know were everybody else got the notion that Chuck is some sort of rain harbinger. In fact, he kinda boosted my own numbers since I tend to have the wind kick up on my trips. But not this last weekend.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
How bout a shuffleboard contest? Find us a campground with shuffleboard.....'n a waitress/gymnast who serves the ice cold beer. We need ta pratice. :wink:

Bear , when I was talking with the folks that run the campground and they asked who I normally go camping with .... Bad mistake on there part.

Anyway I told them there was this mental reject that is retired and drools a lot when looking at food plus he thinks he is an attorney so right then they interrupted my speech about you and shut me down in cold water.

Yes Sir Re Bub...... The next words out of there mouth was that they just put in a shuffleboard court for the over the hill gang and anyone who thinks they might be a Legal Beagle.

They said there had been a few of those social rejects camping there and to give an equal opportunity to them they put in that shuffleboard court. Now if none of them show up then the labels from three metamucial bottles or Geritol bottles will get you permission to use it for us normal folks. Providing you camping fees are paid up and you can get to the court , with help or without it.

Dangermouse01... Yep ole Bear and Oldyaker did not show up so we had nice weather as you noticed , not even any dew on the gear in the mornings. Not even thinking of all the BS that would of flooded the camp if they were there , guess that is why it always rains when there are there , to wash it away. Unlike the luck we have here on the forum :wink:

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
The next words out of there mouth was that they just put in a shuffleboard court for the over the hill gang
Wait.....dont Joe have a shuffleboard court? I may email ESPN ta see if they want us ta form a new sportin' league. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself.  Mark Twain

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
It is my own loss that I was not able to drop in on the happy campers, even though I live only about a half-hour from the place. :cry:

I surely missed meeting everyone!

The Chaz is a beautiful place and there's a constant change in the type of scenery as you paddle down it towards the Gulf. I'll eventually make the trip all the way down there and back, while searching out every little spring that feeds it.

What a great way to spend some time! :D

Maybe next time. . .

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
bearridge said:
How bout a shuffleboard contest? Find us a campground with shuffleboard.....
Dangermouse01... Yep ole Bear and Oldyaker did not show up so we had nice weather Chuck

Yep...I can see Chuck and Bear dressed in shuffleboard clothing......horizontal stripped golf shirt.....checkered Bermuda shorts....argyle socks with white sneakers with velcro straps.... and a lime green bucket hat with a Geritol logo on the front. :roll: I'm sure glad I don't hang with a bunch of old farts like y'all! :)

DM......one of these days Chuck is gonna get ya real good with weather.....don't relax whatever ya do......I Remember the Buffalo! :shock:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
I can see Chuck and Bear dressed in shuffleboard clothing......horizontal stripped golf shirt.....checkered Bermuda shorts....argyle socks with white sneakers with velcro straps.... and a lime green bucket hat with a Geritol logo on the front.
I bet the ESPN folks will like that idea....Geritol too. Thanks. Wonder if there iz a National Prune Association?

I see the Steelers make a toucha down. When did they steal the Arizona State uniforms? Dang pro ball......all crooked...like the New England Criminoles. I wont call 'em patriots no more after all the spyin' they done.....'n that time the convict swept the field in the snow so they whupped the Dolphins with the field goal. :? :? :?

I bet Franke's attack dog iz barkin'.

regards
bearridge

He did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney. Dr. Samuel Johnson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ozark said:
Perhaps just perhaps the tide has turned shall we watch further?
Ozark, PLEASE don't mention anything about "turning tides" when referring to Chuckie. We enjoyed about all of that stuff we could stand on Outhouse Key in April. He'd get up at 03:00 just to paddle the wrong way.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Sorry Kayak Jack there are thousands of posts here' it's gonna take me some time to get them all sorted out.