Chassahowitzka, the springs. !Pic Intense! | SouthernPaddler.com

Chassahowitzka, the springs. !Pic Intense!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I wanted to take my wife out for her first paddle-powered trip, in order to get her hooked on the idea, thinking that would be my best bet for getting consent to start my next boat building project. So I decided on the upper end of the Chassahowitzka River. It's an easy paddle, beautiful scenery, and plenty of shade.

As far as I can tell, it worked! :D

She loved it. And I think that what I'd been telling her about solo vs. tandem paddling kind of sank in, 'cause my Pirogue had very little free-board to spare. Got to say, that fact kept me from going very far down stream from the ramp, as encounters with power boats were all too likely.

Anyway, I realized I'd never posted (or had taken,) any pics of the boat with me in it! I'm still not so sure that was such a good idea, but she had the camera and started snapping away.

First shot, walking the fully loaded Pirogue to the ramp:

chaz001.jpg

Down the ramp. . .

chaz002.jpg

And in the water.

chaz003.jpg

Figured I'd revert back to my old Infantry methods for teaching her how to paddle; See one, do one, teach one.

chaz004.jpg

That one also shows what the scenery is like on the upper part of the river, below the ramp. We did wander just a bit down stream, but it was getting late and I didn't want to push my luck.

OK now, brace yourself for this one:

chaz005.jpg

Can't say I didn't warn you! :lol:

There's a little run off to the right as you go up stream from the ramp, and once you get into it, here's what you start seeing on the bottom:

chaz011.jpg

There's a series of these "pothole" springs, maybe 6 or 8. Some are just a foot or two across, the largest maybe 5 or 6 feet. Not sure about the depth, that looks to have varied from 3 to 8 feet. Some are clearly connected and people have dropped down into one, and surfaced in another. (Not ME, not today!)

Here's some close-ups of a few of these springs:

chaz006.jpg

chaz007.jpg

chaz009.jpg

I wanted to give her some time alone in the boat, to get comfortable with it, without me being there. So, I parked her here, (next pic,) while I got out and did a little fly fishing. I waded in around a couple of those springs, in water that ran from knee-deep on the sand bottom, to just ankle deep, standing up on a flat, lime rock shelf. (Caught a couple of small bluegills.)

chaz010.jpg

I suggested that she try her hand at some solo paddling while I continued fishing. She started out up stream, towards the canoe with two young ladies aboard. That canoe is just about as far up as you can get in this little run, and the girls in the canoe had stopped for a little wade & swim in the 72* (F) water.

chaz012.jpg

That gave her the confidence she needed, so she paddled back down and on to where the run joined the river again. Here she is paddling back up towards me, quite confident and relaxed. (And a new convert!)

chaz013.jpg

Once home, she asked about when the next trip would be.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :mrgreen:
We are now talking about what boat to build next, and now it will be two, instead of just one.

After that, who knows?

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Hey Mike;
Is the ramp at the Chassahowitzka Rivers Edge Campground?
We will be there the first weekend in Nov. The 2006 Florida Paddlers Gathering was held there last year, there is just way to much pretty water around that area for just two days.

Nice report & pictures.

Thanx..DM

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Gidday Mike,
Mick's "better" half here. :D I was looking at the magnificent pictures you posted, you truly are so very blessed to have such beautiful paddling country and what a magnificent place to take your lovely wife for her first paddle, I'm sure you both will have many great adventures together. Thankyou for the beautiful photos.
Cheers,
Robin :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Really some sweet pix Mike......I'm sure I'lll be dreaming of this river around January 15rh up jere in the frozen North. :cry:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
DM,

Not sure of the actual name of the park, but it is a Citrus County Park and is found by following those little boat ramp signs all the way down Miss Maggie Drive. Campgrounds and all, I'm pretty sure it's where you are thinking about.

Robin!

Glad you enjoyed the pics! :D

My wife, Nanette, did indeed have a great time. When I can get plans from Matt for the 15 ft. version of Southwind, I'll let her see if she likes it, and probably have to build a second one for myself.

Those pics were just a small segment of that river. It runs for six mile before it hits the Gulf of Mexico. The scenery changes dramatically as you get closer to the mouth of the river. We'll be making that trip and posting pictures.

Take care of yourself! :D

Oldyaker,

It'd be great if you could chip your way out of that deep-freeze and enjoy some of this, first hand! :)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Az our downunder pals say "dang good on ya". Good ta see someone bout ta "need" her own boat. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Mitey stylish hat. :mrgreen:

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger.  Then it hit me.  Unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been busy on the back channels and was not going to say anything since it was not my place to say it...... BUT...... since things beyond my control would not let me go to the Carolinas for the leaf change and I feel safer close by home ( it is only 107 miles over to where I'm going).

Dam , I wanted to be there for the leaf change , even if it meant camping with a rain making and storm causing , or is that cussing ? Lawyer and some good friends of mine , anyway I still have the camper packed and it is rearing and ready to go even with a lot of camping chow and I will not let it spoil or any form of disappointment , which we already had.
As they say ... Use it or lose it , which I do not intend to do. Besides that I will be a stones throw from the VA Hospital ( That really worries me) Even closer to my Brother - in - laws residence , he is like my wife ... totally NUT'S but what do you expect from a retired Fireman ( Captain) from up Nawth.

Soooooooooo.

For the what it is worth category , or from the for what it is worth category.

Dangermouse01 will be at the Chassahowitsa Campground with the Space Coast Paddlers and the Gulf Coast Backwater Paddlers on the 4th of November and the 5th leaving on the 6th (Sunday) They have 10 campsites saved for them.

Someone else has a camping site reserved for the same time and will be there in the gold goat and small pop up , but just for some camping and goofing off , taking life easy for me. While they are paddling and doing all sorts of fun things.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldsparkey said:
For the what it is worth category , or from the for what it is worth category.

Dangermouse01 will be at the Chassahowitsa Campground with the Space Coast Paddlers and the Gulf Coast Backwater Paddlers on the 4th of November and the 5th leaving on the 6th (Sunday) They have 10 campsites saved for them.

Someone else has a camping site reserved for the same time and will be there in the gold goat and small pop up , but just for some camping and goofing off , taking life easy for me. While they are paddling and doing all sorts of fun things.

Chuck.

What Chuck meant to say is that I will be there from :!:Friday Nov 02:!: and leaving on :!:Sunday Nov 04:!:. Hopefully he will be there during the same time frame, hope to maybe meet some other forum locals also.

Green Astro van with the kayak trailer with a Wadefish 2.0, one of the sites with the green striped canopy.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep .. There on the 2nd and leaving on the 4th . The darn calender keep changing dates on me when I looked at it , or the tri focals did not work that good , the ones camping or resting on my nose.

That is the trouble when the calendar is across the room and ya is an old fart. WHO CARES...... It is over the weekend or is that the weak-end. What the heck it is camping time no matter when it is. Anyhow it is the 1st weekend in November , when the time changes , ya know fall back but real easy in to your chair , kick ya feet up and just enjoy life. :lol:

Chcuk or is that CFhid , might be Chuck :p

Man I need to get away for a spell , really need to. Now if I can just find the campground . I will have it made in the shade. Where is this place in Arkansas or was that Alabama where I'm going camping? :wink: