1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap kayak seat

Discussion in 'Kayak' started by woodman, Dec 9, 2011.

1. woodman

woodman Well-Known Member

2. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

That is a good idea and I bet it is comfortable. :D

3. woodman

I had some really really weathered chairs so I tried one...I guess I could lash it down...need to be as low as possible in this type yack..

Attached Files:

4. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

A paddling buddy of mine layered up about 4 layers of the blue, closed cell foam sleeping pads from Wal-Mart, then carved out a hollow to fit his butt. Really lowers the psi; add a chamois skin and it's hog heaven.

5. woodman

I always wondered what the diff. between that type and minicell foam was..... being I have neve set on a minicell seat...

6. Kayak Jack

I'm sure that chemists and recycling nuts would pontificate for an hour or so about differences. But, when your butt is sitting on one of them, I don't think there is much difference.

7. woodman

I just came up with an idea...why not a leather back band...Cow hide isn't a problem in this Cow Town :)

8. Kayak Jack

Good idea. Would a guy want to punch in a few rows of holes to aid drying? If it were wet, and you paddled it until it was dry, it would form-fit to your back.

9. islandpiper

islandpiper Well-Known Member

I don't have yaks anymore, just the Swampwood Pirogue. I find that sitting on the seat, almost any seat, is only part of the problem. The real problem comes when i try to get up out of the the boat. Last trip i considered asking Joey to just bring my meals down to the boat and pass them out to me on a paddle and toss a canvas over me at night, but somehow i knew that wasn't going to go over real well. It is my stiff knees and hips that keep me grounded on the boat seat. Any serious suggestions? I can think of all the non-serious ones myself. piper

10. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Piper I feel your pain. I have been searching for a solution also.
    The problem is two fold, sitting low with the knees straight, and staying in one position too long.
    My last boat and chair were built to address this. It is more stable than most pirogues or kayaks and allows me to sit higher (14" to 15"). The new chair I built has a concave seat that takes preasure off the back of the legs and allows me to straighten them when I want to paddle harded.
    I would think a 14" seat woud be too high in your boat and would not work well for serious cruising. Changing seating height often during the day has helped me a lot in my pirogue. You could build a base like this:
    1 st. option 8.75"
    [​IMG]

2 ed. option 10.75"
    [​IMG]

Your seat is similer to mine and is at this height:
    Normal height aprox. 5"
    [​IMG]

Add a boat cussion and you get 3 more options.

beekeeper

11. Kayak Jack

I'm waiting for one of you guys to add power reclining to your boat seats! :wink:
    I can sit on the bottom of a kayak OK, but getting back up out of there is a chore. I plan to try a helium filled balloon one of these days, with a trapeze hanging down to ........

12. mosportsmen

mosportsmen Well-Known Member

One more recommendation from the racing world.

http://www.rei.com/product/810392/therm-a-rest-trail-seat

I bought one of these for the race from the recommendation of a couple older paddle racers. seat padding is a big issue for the 340.

This item is truly great. I put it in my hunting pack and take it along to pull out when needed. Hoping it will allow me to sit very still while waiting for a turkey to come over the hill this spring.

I will have it with me camping most of the time from now on.

Tom

13. Kayak Jack

Therma Rest used to call that an "inflatable stadium seat". I see they've changed the color and the name; looks like the same cushion. I inadvertently left one on the Suwanee River.
    When I started using them, I'd let it inflate and then add a puff or two of air. Now, I do the opposite. I let it inflate, press down with a closed fist to expel some air, and THEN seal the valve. Sits softer that way for me.

14. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

That was the seat I got with the kit for the Pygmy Coho that I built back in 1999 and 2000.

15. john the pom

john the pom Well-Known Member

Watched a bloke who wasn't the most mobile paddler use a piece of rope he had tied well forward in his boat to help pull himself upright out of his seat. Seemed to make easy work of it. He said he really struggled before he used the rope . We tend to put our hands on the sides of the boat and push down against the coaming or gunnels which they were probably not really designed for. Will cost you five feet of rope to find out if its any help to you.

16. Kayak Jack

With my luck, I'd lift the nose of my boat right up out of the water. sigh

17. bcwetcoast

bcwetcoast Well-Known Member

I have an electric lift chair from my dad's estate. I would only need to build a wider boat with room for the generator.

I also have a lift/support pole that was next to his bed, although I think it would be more appropriate as a dance pole for the water nymphs that we come across.

18. woodman

Well I built a foam seat...the sheets have 2 colors laminated together making up the 3/4'' thickness....This aided in carving out the profile and making it consistant...So I glued 4 layers together making a 3'' thick block....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used Velcro to make the seat adjustable and can take it out to carve on it more....

19. Kayak Jack

Nice job.

20. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Nice seat. Source for the foam? How did you carve it?

beekeeper