Cheddar/Beer Soup | SouthernPaddler.com

Cheddar/Beer Soup

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Woke up to 7 degrees here this AM. Time for some of my soup recipes.
Cheddar/Beer soup
1 cup each of chopped onion, carrot, celery.
6 to 7 cups of chicken stock/broth
about a half pound of sharp cheddar cheese, grated.
1/2 cup flour
as much Tobasco as you like
about 1/2 teaspoon worcesteshire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
12 ounces of beer
Saute celery, onion and carrots until just soft. Throw carrots in last so they stay just a tad crispy.
Put chicken stock in dutch oven and toss in vege's, get it hot.
Toss the flour with the cheese and stir the mix into your chicken broth slowly stiring as you do.
Toss in the dry mustard, Tabasco and worcestershire.
Bring it up to a simmer.
Pour in your beer and heat the soup thru and when it's hot your ready to serve with some garlic croutons.
Note: I sometimes find if I mix the flour with a little cold water, it helps avoid lumps as I pour it in the hot chicken broth.

Jean

Soup

Hi Oldyaker,

Say that soup sounds really good. It is cold here in W.N.C. today too! Has been for a few days, but we have been lucky so far this winter. No real storms(ice or snow). We haven't had to cut our way out to the highway. :D

I am fixing my old time vegetable soup for supper tonight, it doesn't have any real directions, just general. I vary it depending on my mood, but it always taste good with a nice homemade bread and a salad.

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 12oz. can V-8
some diced cabbage- about 1/4 head
some beans(2-3 different types)- usually green beans,chickpeas, kidney or butter beans, and maybe some peas- tonight it's fordhook limas
corn- cream or whole kernel what ever is on hand
carrots
potatoes
onions
2-3 beef bullion cubes
Left over roast beef or chicken is also good added to this
If using canned veggies, use the liquid also.

Note: You can also use the frozen mixed veggies if in a hurry!

I usually put everything in together and cook it over a medium low heat for about 3 hours. You can also pressure cook it in about 15 minutes, but the flavor is not the same as it is if you cook it slowly and let the flavors meld together.

Jean

The following soups are from the www.chef2chef.com
site. They are doing soups too!

South African Peanut Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin peanut oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 teaspoon chopped red chili
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups chopped sweet potato
1 qt. chicken stock
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon sugar

Method:

Fry onion and red chili in peanut oil. Add ginger, carrots, sweet potato and chicken stock.

Simmer until all ingredients are cooked and tender and then add tomato juice, peanut butter and sugar.

Bring back to the boil, season and then blend until smooth.

Serve with a dollop of natural yogurt and chopped peanuts. Serves 6.

--------------------------------------------------

Ling's Egg Drop Soup

Ingredients:

5 dried Chinese black mushrooms
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
16 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons minced ginger root
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 egg whites
1 egg
1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2tablespoons water

Instructions:

In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the mushrooms, cover and remove from heat. Let stand until softened, about 20 minutes.

Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Strain the soaking liquid through a cheesecloth lined strainer.

In a medium saucepan, bring the broth, scallions, the mushrooms and the soaking liquid, the ginger, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer, covered until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Increase the heat and return the soup to a boil.

Add the egg mixture to the soup while stirring until the eggs have set. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute longer.

Spicy Vietnamese Soup

Ingredients:

1 Chicken breast or 1 Cauliflower, diced
1/2 cup Slivered lemon peel
3 Tbsp. Fish sauce or Soy sauce
3 Green chilies, chopped
3 Stalks Green Onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 can (14 oz) Coconut Milk
2 cups Chicken or Vegetable stock or water
1 tsp. Lemon grass powder
1 Tbsp. Ginger, grated
1 can (14oz.) Straw Mushrooms
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Cook chicken in a cup of water until no longer pink (if using cauliflower, cook until tender). Remove from fire, cut into cubes, return to the pot.

Add slivered lemon, fish sauce, chilis, green onion and sugar;,set aside.

Combine coconut milk, chicken or vegetable stock, lemon grass, ginger, mushrooms and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Add chicken and lemon mixture, cook for about 3 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8.

-------------------------------------------------

Spanish Sausage and Lentil Soup

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 lb. sliced smoked sausage
7 oz. smoked ham, finely chopped
1 large bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dry thyme
1 tsp. ground cumin
9 cups rich chicken broth
1 large can tomatoes, cut up with juice
1 lb. dry lentils
Fresh pepper
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, chopped

Procedure:

Heat olive oil in large 8 quart heavy pan. Add garlic, onions, green pepper and carrot. Cover and cook 10 minutes.

Add sausage and diced ham, thyme, bay leaf and cumin. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more. Add broth, tomatoes (cut up) and lentils to pan.

Reduce heat to low and cover partially; cook 2 hours or until lentils are tender. Adjust seasonings. Add (rinsed and dried) spinach.

Serves 6 to 8.

---------------------------------------------

PASTA E FAGIOLI - Bean Soup
Bean soup is traditionally slowly cooked in terracotta pots, often with the addition of Prosciutto or pork meat to enhance its flavor.

Ingredients:

11 oz (315 gr.) dry borlotti beans
1 quart (approximately 1 liter) water
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz (60 gr.) bacon, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ripe tomato, finely diced
2 cups (460 cc) broth
salt and pepper
5 oz (140 gr.) short ditali pasta, or spaghetti broken in 1/2 inch (1-2 cm) pieces
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for topping

Procedure:

Clean and wash the beans the night before. Place them in a container, and cover with fresh water. Let the beans soak in the water overnight.

The next day, when ready to cook, drain the beans.

In a stockpot, pour 1 quart (1 liter) water and add the beans. Boil for about 20 minutes or until the beans are tender.

In a stockpot, pour the extra-virgin olive oil, and turn the heat to medium.

Add the bacon, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft. Stir in the tomato.

Transfer about one third of the beans to a plate. Using a potato masher, reduce the beans to a paste.

Add to the stockpot the beans (with their cooking water), the puréed beans, and the broth. Bring to a boil.

Add salt and pepper.

Cook for about 15 minutes, until the ingredients are well blended.

Add the pasta and cook for the time indicated by the manufacturer, checking for readiness from time to time.

Pasta is ready when al dente (firm but not too soft or overcooked). Adjust the salt if necessary.

Place the soup in a large bowl or single serving dishes. Top with the extra-virgin olive oil and serve warm.

http://forums.chef2chef.net

Jean

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
13 months in country and I see you forgot the most important part of the
Spicy Vietnamese Soup !

Add one dog..... yum-yum..... those boys loved their pouch fer supper!

~~How much is that doggie in the window~~~~I do hope that doggie's for sale....~~~~~

Veggie soups are wonderful! KT does the same with hers... what ever the mood she's in and what's in the cupboard will reign in the pot that night... and it's always good. :wink:

I'll try some of those other recipes this week as we too are having cold weather dumped on us ( low of 20 last night!!! :shock: )

Won't be to long though and we'll be back in the 50s! :lol:

swampy
~~~Wok'in my dog named Blue~~~~~

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
!!!

Jean, If I had a nickel for every bowl of Pasta E Fag1oli my Granny fed me I'd be on easy street! Your recipe very similar. She also used, white beans and even fava beans or roman beans. Gramps raised them all in his garden. Thank's for your soup recipes, it'll keep me busy!

Jean

Soups are great!

Oldyaker, gonna try that Beer Cheese Soup this weekend, think I will swipe one of Sam's German beers!

Swampy, no speaky good inglis. :( You wanna buy a dog. Got 4- not tough! :p
Got a laugh out of the wok n my dog! :lol:
We love our pups, but not for dinner! :shock:

Jack, I don't think that fermented fish would make a good drink! :lol:
Beers better. I think Swampy should come up with a soup cheer. Don't you? You ever use that fermented fish on gritz? :p

Calamity Jean

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK OK Already!

Lets cut the eat'n dog stuff. I ate some by mistake over there and I'm still hav'n flashbacks. I thought it was good until I found out what it was, we won't even start on m-o-n-k-e-y. My problem is, my mouth waters when I pet mothers dog. Shrink sez I need to let it go or the SPCA will be contacting me. PLEASE, let Rover Go!

Jean

Laying off the pups

Oldyaker, That drooling when you pet the dog really made me laugh out loud. Went and saw the listing for the "RoadKill Cafe" that bearridge posted and chuckled some more. :lol:

You know we sell those cans of potted possum, that was my brothers project. He had a few more ideas too that I just did't think would sell-

Jack Rabbit Milk from Quick Squeeze, Arizona.
Pole Cat Stew- We pack everything but the PU
Snipes in cream sauce and a few others I won't mention. :oops:

Jean

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
My Lab just ran outta th' house!! :shock:

Monkey meat was good when served in those bread rolls...

I'll stick to Jean's on the trail.....

I tried baking opposum at home when I waz a youngster... mom thretened me and I stunk up the house for a week. Some swear on it... I swear at it! :lol:

swampy

Jean

Possum

Pancho- pet that german shepard and give him a bone, no need scaring the fellow, besides stress makes em tough! :lol:

Swampy, When I was a kid, I went possum hunting and coon hunting one night(tagged along). :oops: It was miserable cold, lots of briars to run through, and those critters were smarter than the lot of us(thank goodness). :roll: I saw one coon that had been dressed out in a freezer, and honestly, it looked like a little dog. That was it for me. :shock:

That canned possum is not possum really, it is just meant to be a joke, and has letter to go with it about you not eating your share of possum! :p

Some folks around here get dogs and then when they aren't little and cute anymore, drop them off other places. :( I have 4 of those. :? We have a policy around here that what ever shows up gets fed till it goes away. :roll: I have had 2 of these about 15 years now. The other 2 showed up about 2 years ago half starved to death. I think there must be a dog hobo sign at the end of the road pointing this way! :lol:

The following is a joke recipe from my cookbook "The BakePacker's Companion" (C)

Possum Pie or stew :wink:

1 fairly fresh possum(you might want to rinse him a bit to get the tar off)

1 head skunk cabbage

2 snake tails 6 inches long - any flavor(stripped ones are good)

50 hummingbird eggs(these are optional because some folks just cain't
bring themselves to eat the little fellows)

5 Buzzard feet ( all skin removed )

4 small newts ( I like the red spotted ones the best)

3 crawdads ( I have found some really big ones up by the old sewage
plant)

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Mix in a discarded paint or gas can. Stew over small flames about 3 hours ( don't let it explode ), When done serve it with possum rinds( much better than pork rinds ) and toad stools.

This will only serve 6 and the locals have a fair idea of the ingredients, so don't be too conspicuous with your preparations or you'll draw a crowd wanting to share in this gour-may de-light! :wink:
(C)Jean S. Spangenberg- 1992

Back to real soup, if any of you haven't tried Chuck's recipe for Sweet potato and red letil soup, you are missing out on a fantastic soup! No kidding here. It is great! "Here is the recipe he sent me-

Sweet Potato .. Red Lentil Soup

Recipe adapted by B.Hettig from "The healing Power of Food".

Besides that it is ...........DARN GOOD and VERY TASTY.

This is a rich, colorful, sweet-punget soup that has all the glory of gold. It approximates split pea soup with a sweet, gingery taste reward.

Red lentils..................2. cups ......sorted
onion, yellow..............2.. cups......(2 medium) , or use white onion
vegetable oil...............2.. tsp.
sweet potatoes...........2 cups........1 large pealed, 1/2 in cubes
fresh ginger................2..tsp......... grated
sea salt.....................2.. tsp............or to taste
water.........................6.. cups
parsley......................1/2 cup.....minced

In a soup pot , saute the onions in the oil until transparent, about 3 minutes. Add the lentils, ginger, sweet potato and water.

Cook for about 20 minutes until the lentils and sweet potatoes are soft. Then season with the salt ... to taste. If you want more ginger then use some fresh ginger and squeeze the juice into the pot.
If you want it a smoother texture then take some and put it in the blender. A velvety milkshake quality is just right.

If there is any left over and you want to reheat it ...Providing there is any left over............then just add a little water to it to maintain a velvety consistency ---- which is great ---- and enjoy.
Chuck.

I fixed this and we loved it, but I left out the parsley, and used diced candied ginger- about 1/8 cup, and didn't put in the blender. JS

Jean

A

Anonymous

Friends,

I got ta thinkin' bout coon eatin'. My pal Marty over ta the Silverstreak Sports sez hiz favorite eatin' iz coon. I went over ta hiz web spot ta see if he had any recipes posted, but there warnt none. If ya email 'n ask him, I figger he'll send ya hiz favorite recipe.

He cooked up a coon up on Buzzard's Bluff that time him 'n Hector 'n Dano 'n Joe 'n me gathered up fer some airgun shootin', tall tale tellin', outdoor campin', red wine sippin', 'n general good time....includin' some flyin' fishin' jest down the road on the South Fork.

Marty been in the hospital with some newmonia, so he better be layin' low....like Ole Jim Henson shoulda done.

If ya gotta airgun 'er dang near any gun, them little Patchworms (Marty sells 'em) bout the best cleanin' tool I ever used......'n aint but $5. Cleans .177 up ta .45. I even clean my 870 pumper with it. Its kinda like weed wacker, but kin adjust fer different barrels.

http://silverstreaksports.com/

regards 'n good cookin',

bearridge

P.S. That pidgeon thang iz purty funny. :)

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
Bearridge;
Ok yeer the other airgunner hereabouts I knew there was one an Old yakker is the other airplane nut. Soon I'll get you guys all sorted out.
Did'nt marty loose his wife a couple years ago?? I sorta been outta the loop fer a couple years while I moved an got reorganized.

A

Anonymous

Friend pancho,

I sho like shootin' them toy guns, but I like rimfires too.....jest caint shoot 'em in the backyard. :cry:

Remeber that Lyle Lovett song when the Jap gal stole hiz blue Toyota? Well, Marty's wife kinda done him that way, but it wuz a good while back. He sez he's gwine ta move frum St. Louie down ta Augusta. He got them Swift scope fellas ta come out with some fine airgun scopes 'n he haz been workin' on a secret gun project fer a few years......a multi-pumper he calls the Black Widow.

Tom @ Buzzards Bluff iz the airgun oracle round here, but the High Sheriff Sparkey totes a pump up Crossman in hiz boat. Tom been too ornery lately ta stop by 'n say "hi", but he'll be round bye 'n bye.

Sounds like ya go way back ta Tom 'n Miss Edith's airgun forum.

regards,

bearridge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darn Bear

Now ya have gone an let some of my secrets out.

Air guns are nice when in the woods :) ..... You are paddling down a nice river all by yourself, the Game Wardens are home watching the Dialing for Dollars movie, and you see supper just up ahead of you.

NO ..... KABOOM , BALM ......just a little ..... ptoooo.. and fresh meat for one at supper. Ya know non game like Possums, Coons, Armadillos, Gritz , Lawyers , frogs, Turtles, Yankees ........ anything with an open season on them. :lol: :wink:

The air guns are pure heck on frogs and there legs sure do taste good.

Helpful Hint #IX.
Using a 22 cal Crossman I found that between 8 to 10 pumps of air and a head shot will do the trick except for two of the critters , the Lawyer & Yankee , and they have to have a direct hit on there foot to do them in

A

Anonymous

Friend Sparkey,

Crossman pumper iz the best way ta git a mess a field mice too. Mmmmmm.....mmmmmmm. Better put set that Calphalon up on the Tri Chi 'n whip out the sesame oil. Bet Ole John Depa iz takin' notes. :wink:

Stir fry frog legs? Sound like a Stephen King muppet movie. :?

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

oldsparkey said:
Using a 22 cal Crossman I found that between 8 to 10 pumps of air and a head shot will do the trick except for two of the critters , the Lawyer & Yankee , and they have to have a direct hit on there foot to do them in[/color]

Reckon thats how come Californey lawyer outside the Beretta trial took all six rounds point blank frum that .38 'n jest walked away?

Aw heck, jest kiddin'. Everbody knows that fella musta fergot ta use silver bullets! :wink:

My Crossman 2275 (2200, but 75th anniversary model with a wood stock) iz a .22 also. It is in a box bound fer Michigun fer a trigger job by the guy who put the custom barrel on it. Well, not exactly. It iz in a box 'n its gwine ta Michigun soon az I tape it up 'n get the gals ta call them brown fellas ta come pick it up.

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
I got a hole mess o airguns. favoriete is a tossup twixt fire201 an an ole stealth. Supreme rabbit an coyote gitters. Wanted ta shoot me a deer with the 201 but left Alaska too soon. Hole mess a old crossmans too I really like the co2 models. Also got an old medalion an a fiew more modern ones. Used ta shoot smokepoles, but Alaskan weather sorta put the kabosh
on that, they rust away too easy.

A

Anonymous

pancho said:
Wanted ta shoot me a deer with the 201 but left Alaska too soon.

Friend pancho,

Better tell the little pardners that Career aint yer mommas airgun. I figger the less folks know bout 'em the better. :wink:

regards,

bearridge