Chicken Noodle Soup | SouthernPaddler.com

Chicken Noodle Soup

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Had a little fun tonight......

The wife has the bug , it has her down and out, Then she had to show up for Jury duty and finally got excused and the judge thanked her for not standing that close to him.

The Deputy in the court room told her ... Please stand over their.

So in my warped mind I cooked up a big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup for supper. Dam it is some sort of good , nice and hot , both ways.

1....Take chicken and cook it in boiling water then dropped down to a simmer for about 6 hours. Remember to add water as it cooks down.

2....When falling of the bones , remove and bone out the meat ..... Now add Carrots , Celery , Onions chopped up with some garlic , you choice on the amount of each.

3... Get it nice and hot , then simmering for a while and as the liquid goes down add some chicken broth ( Either homemade or store bought) to it. Don't forget the salt and pepper and in my case this time the...... Cayenne.... ( Got away with adding the Cayenne since her taste buds are on vacation , Might have a complaint in the morning ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

4... In a separate pot get the noodles cooking , when just right , drain and add to the soup. Supper is ready. By the way ... the way I make this it is your choice on the spoon or a fork since it is thick and filling. :D It is not something you would get out of a can , like the chili I make.

The wife loved it and I even gave ole pups a bowel of it .... He is uncontrollable right now just like when he was a puppy , has to be the cayenne and not the cooler weather He is looking for anything else to eat ..... Kayak Jack where are you , pup's needs a snack. :lol:

Excluding Pup's ( above mentioned ) snack since he moves around to much the rest of this supper is even better the next day.

I start this around 10 in the morning and sometime around 6 pm it is done and ready... good cooking takes some time. Unless you like eating out of a can. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Katie makes our home made noodles.
1 cup of flour, put a "dent" in the top of the pile
Pinch of salt, into the dent
1 whole egg, broken into the dent.

Mix on floured board, roll out into a large circle, working from the center of the circle toward edges. Roll circle up into a cylinder. Cut off strips of noodles from the roll. Arrange them to dry a few hours or days. Store in an airtight container.

If you dehydrate the other fixings, (carrots, celery, onions, peas, corn, etc.), and use canned chicken, this makes a good camp soup. It won't taste as good as Chuckie's home made, but it's a lot easier in camp.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I do pretty much the same recipe except I add the noodles to the pot after the vegtables have cooked for a few minutes. This lets the noodles soak up all of that chicken flavor.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I like to do the noodles on the side , drain them and then drop them in .... After they are there a short time they will soak up some of the broth so you need to add more to the pot , the broth not noodles. :roll:
Only reason I do it that way is to keep most of the starch from the pasta , as it cooks , out of the mix.

A couple of the chicken bouillon cubes ( and any other seasonings) in the pasta water really helps. In fact the noodles when done that way are darn good just by themselves. ( Yep , I snack on them , the cooks privilege)
I haven't tried it ....YET.... but to have seasoned ( Flavored ) noodles for a meal....make a improvised stock to cook them in , remove the ingredients and then cook the noodles in it....... Hummmmmmmmmm.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just use the left over parts of what ever you are going to use in the soup in the water to make the stock. When it is ready , drain it threw a sieve and save the broth. Nothing good gets thrown away that way. :D

When I do Chile , I make a big pot of it..... We have it 2 nights and the rest gets tossed in the frig while we have something else the next night or two.
Then the Chile gets brought out for supper. I like the elbow Mac in the left overs. The Elbow Mac gets cooked in some water with salt , pepper , chili powder and sometimes a little hot sauce , even some dehydrated onion flakes , depending on the flavor of the mix. It does come out seasoned and does not dilute the chili I had in the frig.

This will make you shudder/studded , you being a Texan...... The whole mess gets mixed together and tossed into a baking dish , with a splash of water , put in the oven ( or microwave) for a little while to heat it up and then served , some chili that you need a fork for and forget about soaking a cracker in it. Might call it a Chile Casserole.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
We eat something for two days then it goes to the disposal.

duke002.jpg

duke001.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife thinks she is coming down with something ( The Sniffles) so it is some Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup in the pot tomorrow to make her feel better , slow cooked all day long for our supper. Only problem is I make a lot , well not a problem for me. :lol:

The best part is I will be able to freeze some servings for the upcoming trip for my meals when out camping. Just reheat and enjoy home coking while camping.

Chuck.