Chili and a can of worms.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Chili and a can of worms....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chili and a can of worms! :shock: What the hell is that? :?

Well, on the Geezer coconut telegraph, some one opened a can of worms by mentioning how good his chili was and he put frozen corn in it.....I know, I know. :roll: Emails were flying every which way of condemnation, fire and brimstone. Real competition chili is quite simple except for spices. Beef, chili's, very little tomato. Of course, no beans. In reality though, good chili is chili that we, each individual likes. Can be made many ways.
AND! Of course, everyone thinks their chili is the best, just ask them! Or not!:lol: Right Br'r Bear? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a competition recipe...
Tom@buzzardbluff noted the simplicity less the spices which can complicate. Tom is pretty much a chili purist.

World's Championship Chili Cookoff, 2006
Winning Recipe
Traditional Red Chili Competition
J.R.'s Rough and Ready Chili By J.R. Knudson, Granite Bay, California

Ingredients

3 pounds beef tri-tip, chopped
2 ounces sausage
1 ounce rendered beef fat
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 green Ortega pepper, remove seeds and dice fine
1/2 ounce salt
1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper
2 ounces Gebhardt(R) chili powder
1/2 ounce California chili powder
1/2 ounce New Mexico powder
1/2 ounce cumin
1/2 teaspoon pequin powder
1 - 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
1 six ounce can Hunt's(R) Tomato Sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste
Saute onion and green pepper in rendered beef fat in a 3 quart pot.
Add garlic powder and half of chili powder. Add half a can of chicken
broth, mix well and set aside. Brown sausage and beef in a skillet
about one pound at a time. Drain and add meat to onion mix. Add
remaining chili powder and remaining can of chicken broth. Cook for
30 minutes on low heat. Add tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper and
pequin powder. Add more broth as needed and cook until meat is
tender, about two to three hours. Add a dash of Tabasco sauce if

Here is a little chili history.....
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm
I started this thread to gather what others feel chili is, or what it should be......and to also have collection of your recipes.

I give you our fearless leaders(Chuckles) feelings about chili from the Geezer Coconut Telegraph. As you can see he is rather spirited about his feelings on chili.

"Heathens , Ya all are Heathens.

Good Chili is something worth eating.

Get some beef , dice it up , if you are lazy then use hamburger.

Take the chili pot (best is cast iron) , add heat , then some bacon , fat back or salt pork , cook it and when it is done , either snack on it or break it up in the pot , leave the grease in there. If you are a health nut use olive oil in place of the above oils and flavors.

1. Add the beef to what is in the pot and brown it. ( a good amount of meat , good chili has a lot of meat ).

2, Add a big onion diced up ...... stir and when it is about ready then some water. Now add diced up tomatoes and a healthy amount of diced up chili peppers , if you do not have them then some McCormic Chipotle Chili Pepper ( good stuff) along with some salt and black pepper. Ya choice on the amount of everything at this step ..#2 ,.#3 , #4.

3. You can toss in some bell pepper and garlic if you want to , I like it in mine but it is not the normal way of doing it.

4. Add some pinto beans or kidney beans ( your choice on the amount) and more water to make it a soup , not a lot , you will add more as it cooks (simmers for a couple of hours ).

5. Taste it and see what it needs , usually more chili pepper or some salt. Best way to test it is to dip a chunk of bread in it and then snack on the bread , if it has a BBQ flavor to it , just about right.

To break down the fat and keep the wife happy add a can of beer before serving , about 20 minutes. It breaks down the fat in the mix. No fat ring around the cooking bowel this way.
If you have it to well seasoned for the wife then add some cooked macaroni to her serving , it cools down the spices plus it really makes it thick.

Take the corn , cotton and anything else and feed the chickens with it.

Chuck."

So, please tell us what you think chili is, or what it should be, and maybe a recipe! Hope this turns into lively discussion and have some fun! Chili dicussion can get heated! :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I reckon it iz all bout whether ya like the bosses 'er not. I dont care fer 'em.

regards
bearridge

Carr: Them clothes got laundry numbers on them. You remember your number and always wear the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box. These here spoons you keep with you. Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box.

There's no playing grab-ass or fighting in the building. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playing grab-ass or fighting in the building spends a night in the box.

First bell's at five minutes of eight when you will get in your bunk. Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends the night in the box. There is no smoking in the prone position in bed. To smoke you must have both legs over the side of your bunk. Any man caught smoking in the prone position in bed... spends a night in the box.

You get two sheets. Every Saturday, you put the clean sheet on the top... the top sheet on the bottom... and the bottom sheet you turn in to the laundry boy. Any man turns in the wrong sheet spends a night in the box.

No one'll sit in the bunks with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sitting on the bunks spends a night in the box. Any man don't bring back his empty pop bottle spends a night in the box. Any man loud talking spends a night in the box. You got questions, you come to me. I'm Carr, the floor walker. I'm responsible for order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in...

Luke: ...the box.

Carr: I hope you ain't going to be a hard case.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Between the drums off line , all the chatter and then this post ya all have done made me do it.

There is a big ol pot of Chili simmering on the stove as I type this.

NO... NO DANG WAY is there and corn , rice , soy beans , cotton , chocolate or pukeapple in it. The BMW crowd and mall shoppers puts that stuff in theres :twisted:

The ones of us that rough it in a rag top Jeep an paddle swamps ... just use a lot of good meat , browned and seasoned , some tamaters , onion , chili peppers , garlic and a few beans (kidney ...naturally) with a little bell pepper and some celery seed with salt an pepper (Black) . :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cincinnati, Chili capital of the world?

Cincinnati, Chili capital of the world? :shock:

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/cliff/chilarttwo.html

Excerpts from link...
The Life and Times of Chili Cincinnati Chili -Part Two
by Cliff Lowe

If I asked you what city was the Chili capital of the world, what would your answer be? O.K. Let's narrow it down. Suppose I asked you what American city was the Chili capital of the world?

If you answered with any state or city west of the Rocky Mountains, you would be wrong, very wrong. In 1890, DeWitt Clinton Pendery concocted the first known Chili Powder mix, which he called 'Chiltomaline' and it had its part in promoting and making western-style Chili as ubiquitous as it is today. His mix was a concoction of Chiles, Cumin, Oregano, and other spices.

Mr. Pendery arrived in Fort Worth, Texas after having traveled by horse-drawn stagecoach from Cincinnati, Ohio.
Cincinnati, known officially as the Queen City' was, in the 1700's and early 1800's, ' the gateway to the west. Located on a point where the mouth of the Licking River empties into the beautiful Ohio River, and just east of the spot where the three states of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana would eventually converge, this city was perfectly located for growth and industry. In those days river transportation was the fastest method of travel and one could ship goods or travel from Cincinnati, via the Ohio River, right into the mighty Mississippi river, and all the way to New Orleans and, from there, points west.
I have to wonder what would have happened had Mr. Pendery decided to remain in Cincinnati, Ohio, because Cincinnati is the Chili Capital of the United States and, likely, the world. The city has more Chili parlors per capita and square mileage than any known city on the continent. Perhaps all chili would be of the Tex-Mex heritage if Pendery had stayed there.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Anyone here ever try Dave's Insanity Sauce? :twisted:

Arizona Desert Chili With Dave's Gourmet Total Insanity Sauce Ingredients:

Makes 6 servings

2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 lbs ground beef
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground oregano
Season to taste with Dave's Gourmet Total Insanity Hot Sauce
10 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can of your favorite beer
Directions:
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet. Add garlic, onions and green pepper. Saute until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add beef and lightly brown on all surfaces. Drain off some of the fat if a lot has accumulated (lean beef trimmed of all fat should not have an excess amount, however). Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour or slightly longer. Put a cover on skillet during cooking time, and slightly tilt it so steam can escape. Check often and stir to prevent sticking. Skim off fat as it rises. Best if allowed to sit, tightly covered, for an hour after cooking is complete.

http://www.peppers.com/