Chili Head | SouthernPaddler.com

Chili Head

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Three degrees and I'm think'n Chili again. Super Bowl tommorrow as Miz Jean sez so I thought I'd share my secret Chili recipe I took second place with in the County Chili Cookoff some years ago. Hung up my wooden spoon on cookoffs but still enjoy making Chili. I call it Iguana Chili because when people came around to taste or get pictures I told them the secret ingredient was Iguana and I'd have a rubber Iguana I'd pretend to put in the pot when they would snap a picture. This was in the hot chili category.

10# of steak ground coarse, brown in large dutch oven.
Throw in 4 finely chopped onions and about a dozen minced garlic cloves.
Stir in some dried chili's of your choice, (Japone, Serranos, Caribe, Jalapeno, Ancho, Poblano, Anaheim, Habenero, whatever)
Stir it up and cook until the garlic and onion is transparent and soft.
While cooking and stiring, keep tasting and add more spice if needed.

Than, add & stir in: 2 cans beer, quart of tomato sauce, 2 cups water, 8 tbs of chili powder, 4 tbs ground cumin, 2 tbs beef boulion, 4 tsp oregeno, 4 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cocoa, 1/2 tsp coriander, splash in some hot sauce(I used Daves Insanity), put in more dried chili if you want(to taste)

Bring it up to a simmer, cover and stir every once in awhile. Do this for about 2 hours. Another secret to get it hotter is to sprinkle a little celery seed in the mix, I don't know why but it seems to intensify the heat in the chili peppers.

After 2 hours, mix well in a couple tbs. of warm water, 2 tsp flour & 2 tsp cornmeal (masa harina is good) . Stir this into chili & simmer 20 more minutes. Keep stiring, add water to thin if you need too.

The Chili cookoffs were alot of fun but you never leave your pot or camp stove. Sabatage was lurking about! Cookoff was alway's the Sunday before Super Bowl Sunday and dubbed "The Super Chili Bowl".
This stuff is hot :oops: :!:

I have collected Chili and other recipes I have tried over the years, so how about a side of garlic grits with that chili? Comes from a chili book I have had for over 20 years.

Garlic Grits.
2 beaten eggs
2 cups grits
8 cups of salted boilng water
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 stick butter
3 teaspoons of sherry
splash or two of tabasco
grated soft yellow cheeseor any soft cheese for that matter, about a half cup, more if you like.
roasted garlic, about a half dozen clove mashed up.
Almost forgot, a splash of tea-kee-la don't hurt it much either, (In the chili)just don't forget to check for freshness!

Bring oven to 300. Cook your grits. While the grits are hot, stir in your butter, garlic and cheese. Add the sherry, Tobasco and worcestershire sauce. Mix it up and add the eggs. Pour into baking dish, melt more butter over the grits and bake it for an hour.

A

Anonymous

oldyaker said:
about a dozen minced garlic cloves.

Friend oldyaker,

Now I kin cut up that much garlic. :wink:

This chili wont git ya run outta Texas. I seen one 'er two things I'm gwine ta try next time I git the urge ta chili.

respectfully,

bearridge

P.S. I go a bit heavier on the chili powder. It aint hot, but a cup 'er two wont hurt none. Ever freezer aint fulla bambi, but if ya kin git it, I like it jest fine in chili. Nuthin' agin steak however.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yep Bro. Bear!

That's the fun a simmer'n chili for a few hours, stir'n, tast'n and throw'n in a little more of dis and dat. I probably did end up with more chili powder in it but I don't believe it was 2 cups more. I have made it with Bambi but the Mizzus got mad! :cry: Oh, you mean deer meat! :roll: Yep, I've made it thataway an it waz good. Don't have any in the freezer this year, as I mentioned before, all those hours I spent up in the tree stand painted up with camo didn't pay off. Didn't see an eight point buck to let my arrow fly. That's the rule in this nick of the woods now. Figure I'll have to start a life of crime and start poach'n. Especially when them rascals is munch'n on my garden this summer! Where is the Guv'mint agency protecting my interest when dem buggers is eat'n my 'maters, corn and pepper plants?
Guess Jack can answer that, hez a guv'mint agent. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Round here a heap a deer hunters mainly lookin' ta brag.....not eat, cept fer the loin. I dont have ta sit on no stand 'n I got a freezer full.....well, it wuz at one time. :wink:

Rode nawth on the blues highway ta the Tunica flea market this mornin'. We did run up on some of the cutest little critters I ever seen....sugar gliders? Fella sez they frum down under.

Ya kin hold one in yer hand eazy. Marsoupial fella with a tail 'n great big eyes. They wanted $225 fer one. Never figgered ta buy one, but we got ta pet one on the head. It mite not be legal ta sell 'em, but the fella sez they in danger cuz they cuttin' down the rain forest down under.

Dave, ya'll got a rain forest too?

I wish I coulda rented one fer few days. I'd give anything ta see Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw play with a sugar glider! We cut some stuff off Roscoe, includin' hiz front claws, so I dont reckon he'd a hurt the little fella.

Rocky Blier....I bet ya remember him. I always figgered Bradshaw wuz a actor playin' quarterback. He played it purty good too. :wink: Aint never seen a football playin' fella so full of hizownself....cept fer the ones that jest caint seem ta stop dancin'.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Mebbe I didnt use 2 cups of chili powder......but then agin, mebbe I did. :mrgreen:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yes Sir,

Brothta Bear, I remember Rocky B. very well and alway's liked him. Guess we waz kinda brothers in arms since we both went to dat war where we took second place. I guess 'ol Mr' Art Rooney liked him too, cuz he came back from da war games wit half his foot miss'n and 'ol Mr Rooney gave him a chance and 'ol Rocky proved his self. I cussed 'ol Terry myself at first cuz he didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the hall at first but den the light in da hall musta came on cuz he waz play'n some great football! Hiz best year he made like 400 G's and today deez guy's are mak'n 80 mil!!!! Ain't nobody worth dat 'cept maybe a brain or heart surgeon and a real good one! I like Terry, I think he and I could have a beer and some Buffalo Wings and chew da fat for hours.
Once, my boss sent me to Texas on a job for a few weeks. He tole me bring him back sum'tin from the Bradshaw Ranch. I guess he thought dat wuz funny. Well, what he didn't know I had a couple a good buddy's in Texas. They took me past da Bradshaw ranch after fish'n one night and I couldn't resist! I jumped da fence, grabbed me a dried horse pattie and a dried long horn pattie. (Ya know, tresspass'n don't enter yer mind when ya been fish'n wit some crazy Texan friends wit an endless cooler of longneck Lone Stars, hell they coulda dragged me off to fight at the Alamo for Texas Independence again and I woulda dun it!) I boxed dem animal paties up and sent them to da boss FED-X Priority 1. (When ya gotta ship overnight use Fed-X.) Well he thought that pretty cool when he got dem. Was gonna have them shellacked and use them as paper weights on his desk. That was until a day or so later when da ants and bugs came outta dem patties and started crawling around and infestin' his fine wood desk. All I gotta say is I was glad I had another few weeks to spend in Texas for him to cool down fore I got home! I don't think he really got over it though, he sent me to Kuwait on a job at the tail end of the first Gulf War. Revenge was sweet for dat boss!

Enjoy da game Bear, Best wishes, 'ol yak.

A

Anonymous

Re: Yes Sir,

oldyaker said:
(Ya know, tresspass'n don't enter yer mind when ya been fish'n wit some crazy Texan friends wit an endless cooler of longneck Lone Stars, hell they coulda dragged me off to fight at the Alamo for Texas Independence again and I woulda dun it!)

Friend oldyaker,

Yep. My t-shirt sez I been there 'n done that too.

My stepson wuz with them 82nd fellas chasin' the Republic Guard in Round #1.

I miss all them rowdy ole time football playin' fellas. Yer rite, even the top stars didnt make that much money, but I dont figger money wuz the only reason they wuz playin'.

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

I wuz jest wonderin' who iz gwine ta do all that silly yakin' during the superfootball game today? I may git back in time fer it since they usually have ta pregame fer 4-7 hours. Aint see one in years that I stayed awake til the end.

If its Ole Brent Mushberger, I will likely turn the sound off. Bradshaw would be good. Dennis Miller done purty good....frum the few minutes I heard. Like everthin' else football got so PC that they got a heap a folks dont even know what new guys spread in their jock strap before ya head out ta the field.

I liked Meredith, particularly when he'd git bored, start drinkin' 'n make Ole Howard mad az a wet hen. I like John Brodie 'n one 'er two more.

(It jest turned dark outside az I wuz gittin' ready fer my walkin', so I'm stallin' frum here on.....)

What about George Carlin? Dan Acroyd? John Wayne (opps...)? Eddie Murphy? Bruce Willis? Arnold Swfartinator? Bullwinkle J. Moose? Willie Jeff Clinton?....sorry, but that way nobody'd know fer sho what wuz gwine on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Please....dont say Emeril. :cry:

That colored guy who does the tv spot where he sez "jumpin' jeosophat yeeeehaaaah" would be good if he done it all in Shakespeare.

I got it? How bout the Monty Python fellas? John Cleese on the sidelines? Michael Palin up in the booth. Lord how I jest made myself laugh. Sorry.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. If I went over the line, pleaze dont throw no holy hand grenades of Antiock at me....but if thy do, count thou 6, count thou not 4, nor countest thou 7, count thou only 6 when throwin' a holy handgrenade of Antiock.
:lol:

If the Pythons iz busy, I reckon I'm fer Bullwinkle. I dont figger we ever had a cartoon commentator at the superfootball game. I reckon that means hiz little pardner Rocky will have ta join him up in the booth.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Yep Bro. Bear!

oldyaker said:
(SNIP) all those hours I spent up in the tree stand painted up with camo didn't pay off. Didn't see an eight point buck to let my arrow fly. That's the rule in this nick of the woods now. Figure I'll have to start a life of crime and start poach'n. (SNIP) Where is the Guv'mint agency protecting my interest when dem buggers is eat'n my 'maters, corn and pepper plants? Guess Jack can answer that, hez a guv'mint agent. :wink:
Jim,
Maybe that 5 minute epoxy could be useful after all. If you can't "look a set of horns onto a spike", you could sure as hell glue some on!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Okey Dokey Boyz!

Bear, I think Jack would be a great color man for da game! He's has a quick wit and would make a boring game fun! Actually, I think you and Jack! Come to think of it, wouldn't it be interest'n to see Willy Jeff, Monica and Hillary all in the same press both! What game?

Jack, I like the way you think! No more wasted days and nights hang'n off the side of tree. One good set of 8 point horns can get me any buck I see and I can re-use them. Course, If I whack a doe, I may need a couple extra parts to fool da Guv'mint fish and wildlife boyz! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Okey Dokey Boyz!

oldyaker said:
(SNIP) Course, If I whack a doe, I may need a couple extra parts to fool da Guv'mint fish and wildlife boyz! :wink:
Not at all, Jim. After you gut the doe, just staple a centerfold inside. When the DNR weenies take just one look, you've got'em!

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

After ya put yer prize "3 degree chili" up, I seen the Food Network show last nite on the chili contest out in Reno. Like when I quit barbcue judgin', it wuz fulla rules that didnt make no sense ta me. I woulda liked ta been a judge tho, cuz I love chili 'n I aint ever seen Reno....'er any other part a Nevada.

Down in favorite links I posted the Food Network site.

A recipe iz a good spot ta start, but them chili folks out in Reno tole how they's a lot they dont put in no recipe.

One fella sez how ya gotta git fresh spices 'n other stuff. He sez if ya wanna use the cumin thats been on yer shelf bout 6 months, fine....but that aint fer them. I never studied on cumin, but it dont take no airplance mechanic ta learn that chili powder, cayene powder 'n all the rest lose a heap frum settin' on the shelf. :wink: [I dont know bout dried jalapenos cuz I cut class that day when I wuz up ta the Bodine Culinary Institution.]

Some years back I went ta keepin' my peppers, cumin 'n garlic powder in the icebox.

The cookin' folk (a nice ole fella frum Californey won the $25000) tole how the seasonings also lose their flavor durin' cookin' so they add some more bout 10 minutes before it heads ta the judgin'. [They also put garlic 'n other spices in the cups jest before they tote it over ta the judgin' ta "flavor" the stereofoam.]

So I thank ya fer the fine chili recipe, but I want ta meet up 'n do some cookin'. We kin have a bit a group tightener in case we find a toy gun layin' round. :mrgreen:

Mebbe we need a Southernpaddler Cookin' Contest? I mite enter the "open grits" category. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
bodine culinary institution
memphis in may barbecue judge, quit disgusted

"But Luke, how come ya had ta say 50 eggs? Why couldn't ya jest say a dozen 'er two?
I don't know, it jest seemed like a good idea at the time."

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Brotha Bear!

Yep Bear, A nice weekend campout with these 'ol boys, a little paddlin' and cooking is a nice dream. Sure would be fun. You could spice up Happy Hour wit sum a dat "Salty Dog"!

Know wat ya mean 'bout judg'n and judges. I got second place I found out 'cause a couple a dem judges bent elbows wit the first place on a regular basis. Shouldn't be bitter though, I hear he passed on this past year and he was OK. I hear da funeral waz a little different though if'n it waz da same fella. Was dressed in a checkered shirt and bib overhauls wit a picture of da 3 stooges on da coverhauls! The six coffin carry'n fellas was dressed da same way and they played polkas for the final music. But hey, ya gotta respect a fellas last wishes.
I know my pappy was into chili peppers growing, drying and eat'n, he waz alway's at my side in da chili cookoffs, he luved 'em. I sent him on his way to meet the maker with a small container of dried chili peppers in hiz suit coat. I know he's up der now with a bumper crop of chilis for 'ol St. Pete. I'm sure St. Pete likes chilis.
As Sparky said on another thread, Good Friends and Good Food!
Don't be sad about quit'n judg'n, your too honest for dat Bear!

"Shak'n da bush boss, Shak'n da bush"!

Jean

OldYaker, That chili does sound good. Nothing better on a cold day. Funny you call it Iguana Chili, one of my favorite resturants in Salt Lake when we do the Outdoor show is called the Red Iguana, has fantastic Mexican food, but looks like a dive. If you are ever out there do go to the Red Iguana for a meal!!

Y'all were talking about Terry Bradshaw. Believe it or not, I actually saw his last college game in Birmingham. Pat Sullivan got the Heisman Trophy that year, and I don't believe was ever heard of again. I think Terry is funny.

Now Jack, you know that you have to have a big onion for seasoning, don't make me tell you again.!! lol

Jean

A

Anonymous

Miz Jean,

Dont worry none. He had it comin'. Good ta see that Ole Sparkey aint the only law round here. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Remember: garlic, onion 'n olive oil iz the three basic food groups.