chinese air rifle. | SouthernPaddler.com

chinese air rifle.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I've got a Chinese air rifle, it's my fifth one(I keep giving them away). The sights on all of them have been bad, so I usually mount a two power scope, and they are good out to 30-35 yards, at least in my hands, they are effective a LOT farther out,in the hands of a good shooter.
Well, this scope worked fine for a few months, then it suddenly started impacting high. There is no more adjustment in the scope, and the mount clamps into grooves on the reciever. I don't see any way adjusting there.
Any Ideas?
I am reasonably sure the scope wasn't damaged. (I have no sons at home anymore the wreck everything in sight.)
Also, The "chamber" is a pointed cone, and the top opening is fairly small. I have great difficulty loading it. Particularly since I wrecked my neck, and my left side doesn't work as good as it once did.
I am wondering if I could grind the opening bigger, so I can get my fat, arthitic fingers in to load a pellet. I am having to load it with a pellet impaled on a wire now. (It's pretty awkward, whist holding off a hoard of squirrels)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jim,

If this iz a springer (one cocker), they eat scopes like a fat lady with a bag of tater chips. This iz even more true if it iz one of the magnum springers.....the kind they claim will send a pellet downrange at over 1000 fps.

If this iz a springer, iz it a break barrel or a side cocker? I caint quite bring up a mind pichur of yer pellet loadin' problem. I reckon the Chinamen kin build a pneumatic airgun, like the Crossmans, but I dont recall seein' any.

I dont have any problems loadin' any of my break barrel 'er side cockin' springers, but the Crossman pneumatic aint eazy. I jest drop the pellet 'n jiggle the slide that shoves it forward inta the throat of the barrel. Sometimes the pellet lands with the nose pointed forward, more often the jigglin' turns it round.

regards
bearridge

Pea: They’re gonna try sneaking up on us in the dark aint they Gus?
Gus: Taking a chance if they do, a couple a sharpshooters like us.
Pea: I aint no sharpshooter I usually miss if I aint got time ta take careful aim.
Gus: By god but it’s depressing to talk to you Pea.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Friend Bearridge,
This is a spring/air single cocker. And it has noticable recoil, although it's very heavy.
The "bolt" is the size of, and has the appearence of, a 12 guage auto bolt.
The "chamber" projects into the Reciever about 3/8 inch, and has about 1/4 inch all around it. Plenty of room to hold a dropped pellet. The opening in th top of the reciever is about two inches long, and about an inch and a quarter wide.
The main body of the reciever is a tube, about 1 3/8 in diameter
At it's rear most position, the bolt projects into the opening about 3/8 inch.The cone at the rearmost part of the barrel is about 3/16 beneath the front part of the opening.
I would like to enlarge the opening,both in the front and on the sides, but I wonder if the bolt needs that metal to stay lined up on the barrel, althoughthe bolt will center on the barrel no matter what, because there is a convex cone, with a plastic liner in the bolt.
I think you have already solved the scope problem. The gun does have considerable recoil for an air gun.
It has good velocity. It won't blow up a beer can full of water, but it will blow the back of it out, and it's almost as loud and a .22 short out of a rifle.
I guess I need to buy another scope, one meant for a centerfire. Kind of weird putting an $80 scope on a $20 airgun though.
One thing I really like about this one is, it has a safety- the first four didn't.And over the thirty years I have been buying them, they have stayed the same price. They were $20 in 1975, and I bought this a year ago for twenty.
Thanks a lot.
Jim.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Iron sights use to be great , then peep sights later down the road. With trifocals it is scopes now days for shooting.

I have the variable power ones made for air rifles on mine and they hold up really good. Might be because I'm using a Crosman pump and not a springer.

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Ron,
The first three I bought at "Specialty Metal" in Oklahoma City. The store didn't sell them, but a guy that worked there. I don't recall his name.
The fourth I bought new in the box at a flea market, in Oklahoma but I don't remember where.
The one I have now, I bought at Cummins Wholesale tools the last time they came to Meridian. They don't come here anymore. The closest they come to me now is Hillsboro.
That's pretty close to you. If Cummins doesn't come to Waco,I will PM you the next time I get their flier in the mail.
They don't always have the air guns though.
And a word of warning. if you don't know tools, don't buy anything that has the Cummins brand name, if it has moving parts.
Their power tools are usually very under powered. The consumable parts are not necessarily industry standard. And I bought welding clamps that had to be welded back together after a weeks use.
It's still a good place to get some stuff cheap, just be careful.
Jim

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Jimmy,
I believe that's the one. If it is, I am surprised at the pellet speed. I was thinking it was around 1000 fps. At about 30 yards, the pellet will go entirely though a red squirrel from tail to ear.
and it ricochets as badly as a .22 long.
25 bucks! Highway robbery! :D
Jim

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
jimsong said:
I've got a Chinese air rifle, it's my fifth one(I keep giving them away). The sights on all of them have been bad, so I usually mount a two power scope, and they are good out to 30-35 yards, at least in my hands, they are effective a LOT farther out,in the hands of a good shooter.>

I'll try to be gentle without pulling any punches. Then I'll try to weasel out later. :wink: :lol:

I've been shooting, buying, selling, repairing and 'souping up' the Chinese airguns almost since their first appearance on our shores. IMO as well as that of others with more credibility than myself any dictionary with a definition for the overworked computer shorthand, POS, should include a pic of a Chinese airgun.
They are getting better as I'll be the first to admit, but the cheaper ones are still highly suspect for both accuracy and power. If someone has no experience with true high powered precision airguns then they have no way to understand the difference. So please try to take the following statements as coming from one who DOES have a lot of experience with the yawning chasm that seperates cheap Chinese guns from quality built, high- precision tack drivers.
Let's start with velocity. The cheap sidelever and underlever guns are usually advertised as shooting over 800 ft. per second.. That statement is purest BS. The average (and I've ran a lot of them across the chronograph!) is nearer 550 fps and a GOOD one might approach 650 fps.
That said there are exceptions. As delivered many of them are so over-lubricated that the grease bypasses the seal into the combustion chamber. When that happens you get shots that sound like a .22 rimfire for the simply reason that the the heat of compression on pulling the trigger (hard not to say "Lighting the wick" :wink: in this case) causes the gun to 'diesel'. In effect the gun momentarily becomes a compression ignition engine as the excess lubricant is vaporized by the sudden surge of the piston and the heat of compression surges (VERY briefly!) to @ 1,000 degrees F. While that is a desireable feature in a Peterbilt it is very hard on airgun components, SCOPES, ears, even body parts because they can kick like a mule, but most particularly accuracy. Accuracy is in large part dependent on repeatability of velocity as well as the quality of the barrel itself. Since dieseling produces wide variations in velocities a dieseling gun is pi$$-poor in accuracy. It DOES produce anamolous velocities suitable for inflated velocity claims however! :x And it will quickly destroy the innards of a close-tolerance, quality built airgun. Fortunately (or not depending on your viewpoint) the Chinese guns are so poorly built that they often survive such persecution until the excess grease is finally burned off in 500-2,000 shots. But I can assure you that once that excess lube is gone that all of the cheap guns will settle into the velocity range stated above (if the plastic piston seal hasn't been burned by then!) if for no other reason than simple physics. In short the swept volume of the compression chamber limits the powerplant to @ 700fps even if functioning efficiently.

<The "chamber" is a pointed cone, and the top opening is fairly small. I have great difficulty loading it.---I am having to load it with a pellet impaled on a wire now.>

Good! Might prevent losing a finger to the shearing action of the sliding compression chamber if the anti-beartrap device fails. Which they do occasionally. The very BEST advice I can give you is to ALWAYS, without fail, restrain the cocking lever with one hand any time you have a body part in front of that sliding chamber. The same thing applies to retaining control of the barrel on a barrel cocker!

<I guess I need to buy another scope, one meant for a centerfire. >

Don't ask me how many centerfire scopes I destroyed with spring-piston airguns when I first started fooling with them. :oops: I can be a little hard-headed and it required several kicks in the wallet to admit that those who pointed out that centerfire scopes were only cushioned for recoil in one direction while airgun scopes MUST be cushioned for recoil in both directions knew what they were talking about. Be advised that your $20 airgun can wreck $400 scopes as fast as it can wreck cheap ones.

<I would like to enlarge the opening,both in the front and on the sides, but I wonder if the bolt needs that metal to stay lined up on the barrel, althoughthe bolt will center on the barrel no matter what, because there is a convex cone, with a plastic liner in the bolt. >

Not only can you quickly ruin it but you should carefully inspect that cone seal to make sure it isn't leaking!
What you CAN do and it is highly recommended is to use a file or stone to dull the edges of the opening thru which you must reach to insert the pellet. Many of them are sharper than a Gillette Blue Blade and will lacerate you even without the action slamming closed unexpectedly.

<It has good velocity. It won't blow up a beer can full of water, but it will blow the back of it out, and it's almost as loud and a .22 short out of a rifle. >

OK----one more go-around on the subject. If your gun is sounding like a rimfire then it's probably already shook the scope apart. But accuracy problems could just as well be caused by velocity fluctuations as defective sights.

Powerwise I must take exception to the use of inaccurate .177 cal., weak shooting airguns on squirrels. I don't even condone Bearridge using his German built, almost Olympic accurate .177 ca. Beeman R-7s for such work even tho he is competent to place the shot with surgical accuracy.
:lol: The phrase "S**t happens" must have been coined by a hunter. Game moves just as the pellet arrives, a gust of air or a tiny branches deflects it or the stars are temporarily out of perfect alignment just as the trigger breaks. The result is less than optimal shot placement and a wounded animal that escapes to his hide and dies agonizingly over a long painfull time span. I'm certainly no PETA-phile and have no problem with taking game or removing pests but I DO have a problem with being the cause of such agony in any sentient creature. It is my firm belief based on many years of squirrel hunting with airguns that @ 12 ft. # of energy is the very minimum that should be used. The VAST majority of even good functioning .177 cal. Chinese airguns struggle to put out 6 ft. # of energy. A virtual prescription for failure to anchor squirrels (which are much 'tougher' than rabbits!) on the spot. If they're not expiring within 10 seconds and 10' of where shot it simply isn't good enough!

Now----having POed at least half of those reading this thread I'll try to weasel out a bit. (See there Bear---lawyers HAVE taught me a few things!) :wink:

Having now 'fooled' with airguns in virtually every phase of their use from hunting to target to airgunsmithing for over 60 years I have some definite prejudices and hard-won opinions. Even tho some of those opinions stated above may seem harsh, ego-laden, inflexible and downright unfriendly they are every one the result of experience. In many cases lessons that I'd very much like to keep you from having to learn the hard way. To quote someone a lot smarter than myself, "Learn from my experience, I've made 'em all and you can save yourself the pain and money".
I see Chinese airguns as best used to get people to discover just how much fun airgunning can be. I fondly hope that once they are exposed to that facet of shooting that they will then experience the vast difference in quality, repeatability, accuracy, firing behavior and durability between Chinese guns and German BUILT guns.
Airguns can be used daily, inexpensively and at home. They keep the eye, shooting reflexes and mind sharp. They are viable small game hunting weapons if matched to the quarry. There is a certain element of pride in taking a turkey with a well placed shot in the brainpan with the same airgun used for squirrels that transcends the feeling of accomplishment of taking the same bird with a load of shot from a 12 guage. Shooting a near perfect score on an Olympic airgun target, whether standing on your hind legs at ISU required 10 meters or from a bench at 25 yards approaches art in satisfaction to a shooter. (the 10 ring is @ the same size as the period at the end of this sentence.) Just loading and shooting an Olympic grade airgun is a lesson in precision for either a shooter or a mechanically inclined person.

Ok----enough. I've probably got everyone reading thinking that I'm an a$$hole by now. Bearridge can assure you that I CAN be but that I'm pretty much a good-intentioned one. :wink: Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jim,

Tom 'n me used ta know a fella frum jest up the road frum here who sold Chinese airguns 'n took over a fine airgun forum back when Tom 'n Edith wore out on it years ago. All Chinese airguns aint the same. Ya mite take a look here. The Chinese airguns James Kitchings sold cost a heap more'n $25. Folks would buy one 'n git a airgunsmith ta "tune" 'em. I think a fella named Gene Sunday wuz one. http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/

Unlike Tom, I live in town. I caint shoot a powerful airgun cuz the way I see it, ever time I pull a trigger I am obliged ta make sho I hit what I aim at 'er if I miss I dont hit somethin' downrange that I never seen. I dont want a squirrel ta suffer, but we got 35 pecan trees 'n if I dont keep 'em thinned out, they will eat all the pecans 'n start tryin' ta git inta the attic.

Some of the guys on one of the other airgun forums James run, begun ta gather down in Texas in the spring ta shoot pellets 'n the breeze. Somewhere near Austin az I recall.

regards
bearridge

ps Tom iz no asshole. He iz jest a geezer who dont see no point in beatin' round the bush. :lol:

If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know a man, don't bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, of seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you will get better results if you just watch him laugh. If he laughs well, he's a good man. Fyodor Dostoyevski

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
It dont take too much ta git him ta spill some of the last 60 years of shootin' tales. Same az that Omar Kayam fella....a jug a Dago Red, some cheese, a few belly dancers 'n the tall tales begin ta flow like the Upper Mississippi after the Engineers spent 25 years buildin' tall levees in places where the river needed ta flood.

He wont show off hiz shootin', will go outta hiz way not ta, but he kin cut centers like Alvin York. When I stopped by there in April after I left the Buffalo, he set me up. Give me this real ole, heavy springer with a peep site. He haz a 10m range set up frum hiz shop door. Even with bad eyes, that wuz a nice peep. I begun ta squeeze off a pellet when it went "thud". I tole him what a fine trigger job...."done it yerself?" He sez "nope.....factory job".

If I live longer'n him I aim ta buy that one off Winnie. I got some fine airguns, German, but none got a trigger job like that.....even tho both my Beemans been tuned by Russ Best, a first rate geezer in hiz own rite.

Over the years I have saved a heap a email when Tom went ta ramblin' bout the Constitution, airguns 'n huntin' Texas rabbits frum a motorcikle, but all my Gates computers have crashed 'n I lost it all. Good ta see that one saved on here.

regards
bearridge

Yield to Temptation. It may not pass your way again. Lazarus Long

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Tom,
Thanks a lot for your thoughtful, cogent, and obviously knowledgable post.I appreciate the time and effort you put into it.
I have never had any problem with the velocity, or the accuracy of any of these guns. The only problem I ever had, was the sorry sights. Once I put a scope on them they were accurate past my ability to shoot.
I have ended up giving them away long before they wore out, apparently.
I will forward your post to everyone I have given the guns to. And figure out something to make out of this one. (I hate discarding anything of any use at all.)
I was hoping to have some sporting enjoyment with an ongoing problem, but I'll be d----d, if I will spend $400 for a little enjoyment, when six dollars of strychnine laced peanuts will do the same job. I'll find some other way of amusing myself.
Again, thank you Tom, you have opened my eyes to the stupidity of air gunning.
Jim

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
If your looking for around 700 fps try Colibri .22 bullets. These bullets are made in Mexico by Aguila. They have a 20 grain bullet and are propeled by only the primer. The box says to shoot out of a handgun because the bullet can hang up in a rifle bbl., which it can if the bbl. is dirty. Out of a rfle the bullet will make more noise hitting what your shooting at than what noise it makes firing it. One night a couple of stray dogs were raising cain in the yard and my son got the little Winchester 62 pump and went outside. A big male was hung up in a little female. He poped the male and he took off like he was trying to break the land speed record for dogs, dragging the female behind him. Ran two yards over and stopped. Nathan poped him again and he lit a shuck again, but by himself this time. You probally already got a .22 so all you need to do is pay about $23.00 for a brick. Kind of expensive for .22 but you dont shoot them at prarie dogs. For p. dogs you can get a case of bricks for $89.00 on sale. For the uneducated a brick is 10 boxes of 50 or 500 rounds. A case of bricks is 10 boxes of 500. Cheap fun.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Round here it iz agin the law ta shoot a firearm in town. A pellet gun aint a firearm.

Under Florida Law it is ....... It's capable of projecting a projectile.
Florida S.S. #790.001.
"Firearm" Means any weapon ( Including a starter gun) which will , is designed to , or may readily be converted to expel a projectile.

Chuck.
I am using a 1999 edition of the statutes so things could of changed by now.