Choices | SouthernPaddler.com

Choices

dawallace45

Guys , I'm in the process of selling off about 7 of my rifles as I just don't tend to use them any more , still keeping one 30/06 , that will be my XL7 and still keeping my Rossi Lever gun in 45 Colt and my SxS .410 and I want to buy a good 22 Rimfire , sort of considering a CZ with classic stock [ ZKM452 2E CLASSIC] or maybe the Plastic stock Silhouette model [ ZKM452 2E SILHOUTTE ] , the Savage Mark II BV or maybe the Winchester Wildcat [ Toz ] , any one got any feed back on these rifles or other suggestions

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
David, I thought the Australian government made it almost impossible to own a gun. What's the simple scoop on gun ownership there?

Joey

dawallace45

Joey

Not impossible , most of the really keen shooters I know now actually have more firearms now than they did before the new gun laws , to own a firearm you must have a genuine reason for owning a firearm , self protection is not a reason under law but hunting with written permission from a land owner [ owning land over about 50 acres ] or being a member of a recognized club like SSAA is all the reason you need for owning a firearm , if you don't already have a license you need to Join the SSAA then do a firearms Safety course , I used to be qualified to run the courses several years ago but then the government decided that they wanted a Level 3 instructors ticket , of course when I did the courses to become a qualified firearms instructor [ I was already a qualified IPSC range officer and also qualified range officer for long arms and other pistol events ] there was no such thing as a level three course , but what they did was take the same course I did then give it a new designation , and make every one do it again , so I dropped out

Any way after you do the course you need to apply for your license that will take any where from a month to two months to go through , then you apply for a permit to acquire and purchase your firearm , the permit will take about a month to come through , you need a certain amount of secure storage , bolts must be removed and ammo stored separately , semi-auto long arms are banned as are pump action shotguns , strangely lever action shotguns are fine as are pump action rifles , you need to apply for a permit to acquire for every firearm and if you wish to own more than 35 long arms you will need a different license and have additional security , the license costs as does the permits to acquire

Firearms firing .50 BMG are also banned as are hand grenades , surface to air missiles and RPG's and such like , never had any of these so it doesn't effect me to any great extent

All in all it's been a pain in the arse as I used to buy and sell guns all the time and the new laws have slowed me down one hell of a lot

Hand guns are strictly licensed and you need to be a member of a approved pistol club and have proof of regular attendances , I also think that they have banned the smaller size handguns like J frames and larger calibres like .45 , I don't see iron sights well any more so got out of pistol shooting , up till then I shot pistol at least twice a week

I keep telling Mick that he could get back into it if he really wanted but I think he has probably enough hobbies to keep him busy for a while

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
So they try to weed out the non-serious people by making them jump through hoops hoping they might just get tired and figure it's not worth it. Nice. :roll: :x

dawallace45

Joey

Yeah , thats pretty much it

Any way any one got any suggestions for a rimfire for a large man that's not going to feel like a toy , I hear good reports on the Savage but my only experience with the Savage Rimfires is the old Lakefield from about 30 years ago and I really wasn't impressed with it , don't know how it shot because I just couldn't get it to feed

But I do like the idea of the accutrigger , the CZ has a bloody awful trigger out of the box and the guy I used to get to do my triggers is now retired

I do love the Savage centrefire rifles but just don't have the experience with the rimfires

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David,
If you can find one try a Remington 541 T or 541 S. They have the look heft.and feel of a centerfire rifle. And the suckers mortally shoot. The T model will be easier to find than the S, but the T will be cheaper. I have no idea if old Remingtons are even available down there. Just about any of the 500 series Remingtons shoot quite well. How much is ammo down there. Two years CCI Blazers was $89 for a case of bricks. Last year I bought 2 cases of bricks for $150 a case. This year they are $180 a case and I am considering 4 more cased. There may come a time when .22 shells may be worth a carton of eggs. I sure hope that doesn't happen though.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David,
I was telling Nathan what you said about the 541 and he said to try a Ruger 77-22. He said that he got to shoot one a while back and really liked it. Guess I'll start looking for one to try out.
Bob

dawallace45

Wilded
I think the CZ American is what we call the ZKM452 2E CLASSIC , one of the rifles I've been looking at , I really like them but I shot one a week ago and was very disappointed by the trigger , mate had two CZ's , the Model 2 Deluxe and the Classic , the classic had the trigger done and it was awful , the Model 2 had a standard trigger and it was bloody awful , I had a Model 2 Deluxe years ago and the trigger in that wasn't good either but I had it done by a guy who was arguably the best Gunsmith in Australia , the trigger was then beautiful but that guy has now retired and I really don't trust too many of the gunsmiths that are left , most are backyard smiths and not that good , I would have still had the Model 2 Deluxe if it weren't that the hogs back stock didn't suit me for scope use , I worry about paying another $80 to $120 for a trigger job only to be disappointed as I have several times in the past , I love the fit and feel of the Classic and the Silhouette model but the uncertainty of the trigger is the main thing holding me back and it's also the reason that the Savage Mark II BV is on the list , mind I also like the look of the BTV , few weeks ago I did inquire about a CZ trigger spring kit to fix the CZ but was told at the gun shop that they were about $60 for the kit and they weren't much good , sounds like crap to me , but after asking around I don't know any one who has used them

Will be back down Brisbane next Thursday so will look again at the different rifles and see what fits me best

David

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
The 453 American or Varmint comes with a fine adjustable trigger. I put a trigger kit in both of my 452 Americans one in .22 and one in .22WMR. Retail price is around $450.00 in this part of the woods. Between my buddies and I we could put about a dozen of them in the field if that tells you what we think of them after a couple of years of testing them. I have two Rugers a 77/22 and a 77/22WMR and really like them but the CZs will out shoot them. I just wish the CZ had a rotary magazine like the Ruger.

dawallace45

Guy's , just spent a few days down in Brisbane and checked out a few gunshops , sort of narrowed the choice down to the Savage Mark 2 BV and the CZ Silhouette , there is about $300 difference between the two so at this stage I'm leaning more to the Savage , wanted to check one out but couldn't find a store with one in stock but did check out the .17 version which is a little heavier , stock fit is fine

David